Texas Hunting Forum

Moving from DAL up the ladder

Posted By: redhaze

Moving from DAL up the ladder - 06/11/19 12:46 PM

Well, wifey finally settled down and now I'm able to look at improving the equipment for the next 22lr shootout. So, for old peoples, what are the characteristics to look for in new glass. In the first 2 stages, I couldn't even see the numbers on the targets - eyes are not replaceable as far as I know. Thanks in advance. Budget of tops at $650.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Moving from DAL up the ladder - 06/11/19 01:42 PM

What scope were you using Fred? For a 22LR definitely get something with a side focus that focuses down to 25 yards at minimum but the closer the better. I run a Vortex HST 4-16x second focal plane on mine. It focuses down to 25 yards and even a bit lower just not numbers on the dial. I had no problems seeing any of the numbers or targets.

I got a Athlon Midas BTR 2.5-15 a month or two back, haven't shot it yet, but the glass seems to be better than the Vortex and it focuses down to 10 yards. Was thinking about putting it my 22, however there were a few guys out there at the shoot that were having problems with their Athlons tracking correctly so not so sure now.
Posted By: gr8fuldoug

Re: Moving from DAL up the ladder - 06/11/19 01:46 PM

The Athlon Midas TAC is the way to go.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Moving from DAL up the ladder - 06/11/19 03:24 PM

I'm the poster child for moving one of my centerfire scopes over to my .22 lr.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Moving from DAL up the ladder - 06/11/19 05:05 PM

Funny that I came across this tread. Because of the .22 match, I have been searching rifles and scopes too. LOL. What are ya'lls thoughts on the Cabelas Covenant 4-16 FFP to be mounted on a .22. Not sure which .22 yet, but I am looking at the ruger 10/22 target and ruger american target right now....Not trying to hijack the thread, I just think this plays into the discussion.

Re: Moving from DAL up the ladder - 06/11/19 05:09 PM

A significant portion of the money spent on scopes you are going to dial on, is that they track true. If you're going to dial on a scope on a .22, you had better buy one that does what it's told. Thus the reason I used the scope I did for the match.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Moving from DAL up the ladder - 06/11/19 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG
A significant portion of the money spent on scopes you are going to dial on, is that they track true. If you're going to dial on a scope on a .22, you had better buy one that does what it's told. Thus the reason I used the scope I did for the match.

Is this in reference to the cabelas covenant scope?

Re: Moving from DAL up the ladder - 06/11/19 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba

Is this in reference to the cabelas covenant scope?

And many others.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Moving from DAL up the ladder - 06/11/19 07:19 PM

There's nothing wrong with a fixed-power SWFA. I almost went that route on my 10/22. The 6x would be perfect, although a 10x would make more sense if you're going to push to distance.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Moving from DAL up the ladder - 06/11/19 07:35 PM

I think I may get a SWFA 3x15x42. I wish they were a little cheaper but it’s a good one.

Re: Moving from DAL up the ladder - 06/11/19 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Brother in-law
I think I may get a SWFA 3x15x42. I wish they were a little cheaper but it’s a good one.

Maybe you should have shot better and got first place, you could have had a free one. grin

Re: Moving from DAL up the ladder - 06/11/19 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by KRoyal

Maybe you should have shot better and got first place, you could have had a free one. grin

I didn’t have the right TAF pole bag

That’s one free neck punch for you grin
Posted By: Cast

Re: Moving from DAL up the ladder - 06/11/19 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by KRoyal

Oh, that’s just mean man. banana
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Moving from DAL up the ladder - 06/11/19 09:40 PM

I purchased the Athlon Midas BTR FFP 6-24 for the rifle I didn't shoot the match with. Kind of bought it on a whim, and by the time I put it together I only had time to sight it in at 50. Dkershen used it with great results. I was very impressed with the crisp tracking turrets and the glass for under $350. Seems to be a solid build. Time will tell but I read a whole bunch of positive reviews on it. The glass isn't on par with my Bushnell LRHS or Burris XTRII, but it's not that far behind those. Plenty good for 300-400 yards. The side focus seemed to work well for Dave at the close distances.

Re: Moving from DAL up the ladder - 06/12/19 12:15 AM

Wow, thanks for the info. I'm over whelmed with data and choices, it's going to take a long time to figure this one out. Will keep you posted. From the last DAL kid.

Re: Moving from DAL up the ladder - 06/12/19 01:57 AM

Be lucky I didn’t provide a DAL prize, I won’t let y’all down next time

Re: Moving from DAL up the ladder - 06/12/19 02:04 AM

Be lucky I didn’t provide a DAL prize, I won’t let y’all down next time

Buzz gonna come in last just so he can get another one.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Moving from DAL up the ladder - 06/12/19 02:32 AM

https://forum.snipershide.com/threads/wts-burris-xtr-ii-4-20x50-scr-mil.6946794/
Posted By: gr8fuldoug

Re: Moving from DAL up the ladder - 06/12/19 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
I purchased the Athlon Midas BTR FFP 6-24 for the rifle I didn't shoot the match with. Kind of bought it on a whim, and by the time I put it together I only had time to sight it in at 50. Dkershen used it with great results. I was very impressed with the crisp tracking turrets and the glass for under $350. Seems to be a solid build. Time will tell but I read a whole bunch of positive reviews on it. The glass isn't on par with my Bushnell LRHS or Burris XTRII, but it's not that far behind those. Plenty good for 300-400 yards. The side focus seemed to work well for Dave at the close distances.

Here's a review posted on another forum that's a good read
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Moving from DAL up the ladder - 06/12/19 02:15 PM

Here ya go, I passed her on , I'm sure Dal is happy with her new partner

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Judd

Re: Moving from DAL up the ladder - 06/12/19 02:36 PM

I'm impressed she still holds air...good job Buzz wink

Re: Moving from DAL up the ladder - 06/12/19 07:06 PM

I have pulled the trigger on: Ruger 10/22 Target ($379 - CDNN in Abilene) and an Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27 x 50 scope ($549 - gr8doug). What else is needed to mount it - rings, etc. Thanks for all the help.

Re: Moving from DAL up the ladder - 06/12/19 07:21 PM

20 MOA pic rail for the action. If you plan on going 300 yards with it.

Re: Moving from DAL up the ladder - 06/12/19 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by fray
I have pulled the trigger on: Ruger 10/22 Target ($379 - CDNN in Abilene) and an Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27 x 50 scope ($549 - gr8doug). What else is needed to mount it - rings, etc. Thanks for all the help.

Was looking at this very same gun yesterday. Thought about buying it, but I've already got a shooter no since in messing with it.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Moving from DAL up the ladder - 06/12/19 07:56 PM

Is that a 34mm tube?

Re: Moving from DAL up the ladder - 06/12/19 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Cast
Is that a 34mm tube?

No, 30mm tube.
Posted By: P_102

Re: Moving from DAL up the ladder - 07/06/19 12:36 AM

The Athlon Ares ETR is a 34mm tube, but not the BTR.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Moving from DAL up the ladder - 07/06/19 02:47 PM

I saw a rumor , there is a new double deuce joined the group, definitely NOT a DAL gun scratch

nope, its not mine
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Moving from DAL up the ladder - 07/06/19 11:24 PM

I'm the poster child for moving one of my centerfire scopes over to my .22 lr.

Amen to that brother. I will be using a much better scope next time!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum