Texas Hunting Forum

Ring and base suggestions

Posted By: Rock Rancher

Ring and base suggestions - 02/07/19 04:25 PM

A friend is buying a new hunting rig and asking for advice on scope rings and base. Seems like he's set on getting a Winchester XPR in either .243, 6.5 CM or .308.

What says the THF brain trust about rings and base for scope mounting on this rifle?

Thanks!
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Ring and base suggestions - 02/07/19 04:45 PM

Just whatever you do, do NOT get this style of Leupold bases. The ring on the left has the rear windage adjustment screws that come loose and strip out. I have seen MANY rifles not be able to hold zero and/or strip the ears of the ring causing problems. And if the action has 4 holes for mounting, use all 4 holes, and not get a mount that only uses 3 holes for support.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Ring and base suggestions - 02/07/19 05:07 PM

for a hunting rifle I am a big fan of the Talley lightweights if they make a set that fits the rifle.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Ring and base suggestions - 02/07/19 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
Just whatever you do, do NOT get this style of Leupold bases. The ring on the left has the rear windage adjustment screws that come loose and strip out. I have seen MANY rifles not be able to hold zero and/or strip the ears of the ring causing problems. And if the action has 4 holes for mounting, use all 4 holes, and not get a mount that only uses 3 holes for support.

[Linked Image]

these are greatness clap
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Ring and base suggestions - 02/07/19 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by ccoker
for a hunting rifle I am a big fan of the Talley lightweights if they make a set that fits the rifle.

I have a set of low Talley mounts for a model 70. OP, ask him to find out if the XPR and the 70 share the same mount-if so, I'll make him a really good deal.
Posted By: Rock Rancher

Re: Ring and base suggestions - 02/07/19 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks

I have a set of low Talley mounts for a model 70. OP, ask him to find out if the XPR and the 70 share the same mount-if so, I'll make him a really good deal.

They are different products on the Talley website. Thanks though.
Posted By: David Maas

Re: Ring and base suggestions - 02/08/19 03:04 AM

I really like the DNZ single piece units, this is a stock photo that I just happened to have handy, was talking to a friend about a option for his AR

They are light and true, only the one mating surface to the gun

[Linked Image]
Posted By: booradley

Re: Ring and base suggestions - 02/10/19 02:34 PM

I use EGW bases and Warne rings.
Posted By: BigDad

Re: Ring and base suggestions - 02/10/19 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by booradley
I use EGW bases and Warne rings.

This
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Ring and base suggestions - 02/10/19 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by ccoker

Yep..
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum