Texas Hunting Forum

New Budget ATN Thermal

Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

New Budget ATN Thermal - 01/22/19 10:58 PM

The Thor LT. Good news is, it doesn't have many technological features so maybe it won't be a glitchy POS. Ya'll wanna be prostaff? They'll hire anybody with a pulse.

[Linked Image]

https://www.atncorp.com/thermal-scope-thor-lt-3-6x
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: New Budget ATN Thermal - 01/23/19 12:02 AM

160 res ....

Pass

Re: New Budget ATN Thermal - 01/23/19 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Pig_Popper
160 res ....

Pass

I seent that. May still work for what I do, but I'm medically unable to operate an ATN device. It's impossible to use the buttons with both middle fingers sticking up at their logo.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: New Budget ATN Thermal - 01/23/19 12:24 AM

The real issue is that one can never trust in their good intentions and legitimacy.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: New Budget ATN Thermal - 01/23/19 01:29 AM

I would test one out. But we know how that went last time.

Re: New Budget ATN Thermal - 01/23/19 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG

Do you even prostaff bro? grin
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: New Budget ATN Thermal - 01/23/19 03:13 AM

Since they tried to build their own tech. vs license something that works, they've not been able to build anything worth a flip.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: New Budget ATN Thermal - 01/23/19 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
Originally Posted by FiremanJG

Do you even prostaff bro? grin

No, no I do not.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: New Budget ATN Thermal - 01/23/19 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by CharlieCTx
Since they tried to build their own tech. vs license something that works, they've not been able to build anything worth a flip.

Chinese components...partially assembled in US.
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: New Budget ATN Thermal - 01/23/19 09:44 AM

I can find them some pro staff if they are giving out free scopes.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: New Budget ATN Thermal - 01/23/19 08:46 PM

What's the point of pro staff if you never listen and respond to their feedback?
Posted By: TXGH

Re: New Budget ATN Thermal - 01/25/19 04:19 PM

I saw this at SHOT Show - didn't look bad at all. But its was only for 5 mins.. So do not know how it works int he field. Wouldn't use it past 100-150 yards max though - and no way to ID past that distance for sure with the 160 res. No extras to bog up the scope an turns on in about 3 seconds. But time will tell how it does in the field for the masses.

Re: New Budget ATN Thermal - 01/25/19 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by jtprocaddie
I saw this at SHOT Show - didn't look bad at all. But its was only for 5 mins.. So do not know how it works int he field. Wouldn't use it past 100-150 yards max though - and no way to ID past that distance for sure with the 160 res. No extras to bog up the scope an turns on in about 3 seconds. But time will tell how it does in the field for the masses.

You were at the shot show, Joe? They have you serving drinks or just cleaning up the place?
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: New Budget ATN Thermal - 01/25/19 08:01 PM

Another Time Not shooting

Re: New Budget ATN Thermal - 01/26/19 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
You were at the shot show, Joe? They have you serving drinks or just cleaning up the place?

There same as every year. Visiting with booths videoing whats coming out. Impressed with the new lines from Pulsar and Sightmark. Also some sweet rifle options.. AND A REALLY Sweet digital trigger which is going to be awesome. (switch from 5 lbs, to 1lbs to binary with a puch of a button)
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: New Budget ATN Thermal - 01/26/19 04:08 AM

You been working out cocojoe?
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: New Budget ATN Thermal - 01/26/19 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Brother in-law
You been working out cocojoe?

roflmao
Posted By: Outdoor Legacy

Re: New Budget ATN Thermal - 01/28/19 04:23 AM

I saw it for about 30 seconds and wasn't overly impressed but I learned many years ago to never trust impressions of NV and thermal optics from inside a convention center. Without getting into a lot of details yet, we will probably be doing some 100% non-holds barred testing of these and some other ATN units for The Late Night Vision Show. And to be clear, by intentional choice, I do not sell ATN thermal and haven't for many years, so these reviews will have no negative effects on my sales, so they will be as unbiased as possible in the favorable direction of the scopes, if that makes sense.
Posted By: GLC

Re: New Budget ATN Thermal - 01/28/19 10:45 PM

May have to try this, 3 year warranty, could always send it back if it doesn't work.

Re: New Budget ATN Thermal - 01/29/19 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by GLC
May have to try this, 3 year warranty, could always send it back if it doesn't work.

I think it going to be an OK thermal for the money. Don't expect any great performance past 100-150 yards

Re: New Budget ATN Thermal - 01/29/19 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by GLC

I think it going to be an OK thermal for the money. Don't expect any great performance past 100-150 yards

I agree, night time hogs are 50 to 100 yards anyways.
Optics Planet has them for $1199, with a 11% discount, free shipping and free returns.

Re: New Budget ATN Thermal - 01/30/19 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by GLC
Originally Posted by GLC

I agree, night time hogs are 50 to 100 yards anyways.
Optics Planet has them for $1199, with a 11% discount, free shipping and free returns.

Ok, I ordered one, will let you know how it works. I can always send it back, Optics Planet has a great return policy.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: New Budget ATN Thermal - 02/02/19 04:49 PM

quality wise this seems similar to the sig echo thermals a couple of year ago

Re: New Budget ATN Thermal - 04/07/19 11:53 PM

Well, it finally came in. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: New Budget ATN Thermal - 04/08/19 12:47 AM

Pslease keep us updated on performance.

Re: New Budget ATN Thermal - 04/08/19 11:50 AM

Was playing around the yard last weekend, so far looks pretty good. Planning to go out next weekend.
Posted By: JDP Ranch

Re: New Budget ATN Thermal - 04/09/19 04:26 PM

Anxiously waiting to hear your thoughts about it GLC smile

Re: New Budget ATN Thermal - 04/09/19 05:42 PM

I predict that if GLC does much night hunting, that GLC will upgrade to a better scope within a year. That is no reflection on GLC, but just a pattern that I noticed for people that buy low end thermal. They get a taste of what it can do, but they find that what they purchased doesn't satisfy their palate and so they upgrade. For example, I saw a lot of Pulsar RXQ30v purchasers upgrade to better thermal. One in as little as 3 weeks, but most did so inside of 3-6 months (4). A couple took as much as a year.

Re: New Budget ATN Thermal - 04/09/19 08:29 PM

Agreed with that, DNS. I'm fortunate to have two thermals now (Zeus and PTS). Really curious how these perform.

I'd consider a Thor LT as a third thermal for the rare time I have 2 guests hunt with me and would need a total of 3 thermals. Also consider as back up in case one of mine fails - more often than not I bring along someone with me to hunt. My luck with working thermals hasn't been great so far heh. Both of my FLIRs had to be RMA'd and I just started getting into thermal in February hammer

It'd be hard for me to justify 3 mid to high end thermals but I could see myself having a Thor LT if the image is acceptable. Though for the price... I could pick up a digital NV scope with a nice IR light... but I'm hoping this turns out to be a step up from those.

Re: New Budget ATN Thermal - 04/10/19 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by JDP Ranch
It'd be hard for me to justify 3 mid to high end thermals but I could see myself having a Thor LT if the image is acceptable. Though for the price... I could pick up a digital NV scope with a nice IR light... but I'm hoping this turns out to be a step up from those.

Based on the specs, I don't think it will be. As a third hunter loaner scope, this isn't going to be a scope for spotting and locating animals for the first time. Having the least clarity, you are going to spend a lot of time identifying for your 3rd guest what the blobs are that he sees at a distance. If you are hunting in the woods, it will be advantageous, but if you are hunting open lands, meadows, pastures, etc., digital night vision will be a better way to go.

Re: New Budget ATN Thermal - 04/10/19 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
I predict that if GLC does much night hunting, that GLC will upgrade to a better scope within a year. That is no reflection on GLC, but just a pattern that I noticed for people that buy low end thermal. They get a taste of what it can do, but they find that what they purchased doesn't satisfy their palate and so they upgrade. For example, I saw a lot of Pulsar RXQ30v purchasers upgrade to better thermal. One in as little as 3 weeks, but most did so inside of 3-6 months (4). A couple took as much as a year.

Sorry to say your predictions will be wrong. I will never pay 3000 to 4000 dollars on a unit for any reason.That would be like someone saying that after some time the natural progression would be to buy a low end firearm and then eventually purchase a custom high end action of 5000 or more. Not everyone needs something deader than dead at the inflated cost. Just because there is something out there newer or better does not mean that someone needs it or has the cash for it. A far as thermal, I do not need any type of recording so i will not pay for that feature. Also my shots will all be 25 to 100 yards for predators so I believe this unit will work fine in my application. So far around the house it has worked well up to about 100 yards as far as identification which is about as far as I can go till I take it to the lease. Now if for some reason the unit does not pan out I will just send it back but will not invest in anything more expensive. At my age, I have more sense than money.

Re: New Budget ATN Thermal - 04/10/19 09:23 PM

My prediction may be wrong, but time and time again with thermal, I have seen the pattern repeated. Maybe you don't hunt enough to make it worthwhile. That is a key factor that I included.

It is amazing what people don't have money for but will make money for when they realize what it can do for them. smile ani

Re: New Budget ATN Thermal - 04/10/19 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
My prediction may be wrong, but time and time again with thermal, I have seen the pattern repeated. Maybe you don't hunt enough to make it worthwhile. That is a key factor that I included.

It is amazing what people don't have money for but will make money for when they realize what it can do for them. smile ani

I'm happy with my FLIRs but have already been looking at what guns I can sell along with one of the FLIRs to acquire an Nvision LR laugh
Posted By: easttxhoghunter

Re: New Budget ATN Thermal - 04/10/19 10:56 PM

Might make a good scope for a shotgun.

Re: New Budget ATN Thermal - 04/11/19 12:15 PM

Haven't taken it out longer distances yet but i agree it will be a closer range optic. Shotgun, 22 caliber or anything you may be using within 100 yards but i will have a better idea after this weekend. Mine will mostly be used for predators after my chickens and goats.

Re: New Budget ATN Thermal - 04/11/19 02:19 PM

Barnyard Thermal. Very good!
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: New Budget ATN Thermal - 04/11/19 02:59 PM

Not a 160 res thermal fan, but maybe it could work on a .22 for rabbit hunting at night.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum