Texas Hunting Forum

Rifle scope for daughters rifle.

Posted By: DaveTexas

Rifle scope for daughters rifle. - 11/06/18 04:56 PM

I'm planning on putting a new scope on my daughters 243 rifle
shots usually around the 70 yard range (but could be 20-150 yrds)
wanting to stay under $200

was thinking about the following.
1. Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 ($170)
2. Nikon Buckmasters II 3-9x40 ($130)
3. Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 BDC Rifle Scope ($150)

Any thoughts or suggestions on a choice.
Posted By: duckhunter175

Re: Rifle scope for daughters rifle. - 11/06/18 05:29 PM

For the budget and your purpose I think the VX1 is the way to go for sure. I've had various magnifications of the Buckmasters and Prostaff from Nikon and I don't think anything gives you as crisp of a sight picture as a Leupold. They are clear, sharp and simple. I have three, one on a muzzleloader, one on a slug gun and one on a .22.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Rifle scope for daughters rifle. - 11/06/18 05:31 PM

Originally Posted By: duckhunter175
For the budget and your purpose I think the VX1 is the way to go for sure. I've had various magnifications of the Buckmasters and Prostaff from Nikon and I don't think anything gives you as crisp of a sight picture as a Leupold. They are clear, sharp and simple. I have three, one on a muzzleloader, one on a slug gun and one on a .22.

+1
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Rifle scope for daughters rifle. - 11/06/18 05:32 PM

I would look at 2-7 in the same price range. Sometimes you can get a little more forgiving eye box with less magnification. They should be available in the VX-1 and Nikons. If she’s not a beginner this is likely irrelevant.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Rifle scope for daughters rifle. - 11/07/18 12:39 AM

At that range you may consider waiting to see what Swfa puts on Black Friday and get one of their fixed zooms maybe there 6x or the 1-4 if they put it on sale
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Rifle scope for daughters rifle. - 11/07/18 03:36 AM

I had the Buckmaster/Prostaff7 6-20X on my daughters .243. I suggest more magnification for range use and when she gets used to longer shots. The Nikon is a very good scope for the $$.. Try to get one with regular crosshairs. the bullet drop circles get in the way and pretty useless and confusing for her, keep it simple
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Rifle scope for daughters rifle. - 11/07/18 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
I had the Buckmaster/Prostaff7 6-20X on my daughters .243. I suggest more magnification for range use and when she gets used to longer shots. The Nikon is a very good scope for the $$.. Try to get one with regular crosshairs. the bullet drop circles get in the way and pretty useless and confusing for her, keep it simple

I had a Prostaff 5 and would agree on the BDC reticle-I sold that thing pretty quickly.
Posted By: howl

Re: Rifle scope for daughters rifle. - 11/07/18 06:10 PM

A female is more likely than a male to have a buck right under her stand. Eventually, she will need a wide enough field of view to see enough of the animal to find a point of aim at ten feet.

1.5-6x is about right. Bushnell Trophy is in budget, but there are probably others. A Leupold 1-4x will also be in budget.
Posted By: Scott W

Re: Rifle scope for daughters rifle. - 11/07/18 07:11 PM

I just got a Nikon P-Tactical 3-9x40 with a Mil reticle. They also make it in a MOA reticle. Happy with it so far. Also have a P300 2-7x that was on my blackout and moved it to my son's .22LR. That was a good scope that held zero well and allowed me to shoot steel to 500, 600 & 700 while on the blackout.
Posted By: booradley

Re: Rifle scope for daughters rifle. - 11/08/18 08:43 PM

I would go with a Fullfield II 2-7 or 3-9. I feel they have much better glass than a ProStaff or Buckmasters. VX-1 is discontinued but I imagine one could still be found. I prefer the Fullfield II over a VX-1 but would take an also discontinued VX-2 over a Fullfield II.

Definitely a bit of a drive but you could take her to San Antonio or San Angelo and let her look through scopes, that to me is the best thing to do. I did that with my daughter except Cabela’s was just down the road. She chose a Fullfield II 2-7x35.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum