Texas Hunting Forum

Pulsar Apex and Trails - Multiple profile settings

Posted By: CharlieCTx

Pulsar Apex and Trails - Multiple profile settings - 09/25/18 02:19 AM

In the piggy section I had a post about my RFB I just started using as my hog gun, moved my Apex from the M&P to the RFB. My first hunt with it Thursday night, I shot my first boar with it. Probably a 20 yd first shot with him walking, missed, second shot at 30 yds on the run, connected and rolled him. When I got to him, I thought it was odd that I hit him mid-high back given the distance of the shot and my lead. Shot at a couple more later that night at say 60yds and nary a hit. Thinking about that Sunday, I was reminded that I didn't check the scope for which profile was active when I started, but it hadn't been changed from profile 2 when I last used it. I went and turned on the scope to see what profile showed and it was 1 vs 2 where the RFB is set.

(I'm in the airport waiting for the plane to get fixed frown so I can't go look for myself right now...)

Does the scope revert back to profile 1 every time you power the scope up/down?
Does it revert back to profile 1 if you do a battery swap? (I did that at the start of Thurs night)

Thanks!
Posted By: red stick

Re: Pulsar Apex and Trails - Multiple profile settings - 09/25/18 03:18 AM

My Trail stays put on whichever profile I had it set on regardless of battery in or out.
Posted By: Outdoor Legacy

Re: Pulsar Apex and Trails - Multiple profile settings - 09/25/18 05:25 AM

The scope is supposed to stay on whatever the last profile you set it to and I have used the different profiles a lot and it's always stuck, even through dead batteries, battery changes etc. I'd intentionally test it to see if it holds or changes on your scope but if it changes, I'd contact Pulsar.

That's a strange one for sure.
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Pulsar Apex and Trails - Multiple profile settings - 09/25/18 09:13 AM

Is it possible to change the name of the setting so you always know what rifle each setting is zeroed for?
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Pulsar Apex and Trails - Multiple profile settings - 09/25/18 01:11 PM

I know folks don't do it, but one should always verify zero when moving scopes between rifles. I have hunted with a few guys who didn't and were shocked when they could not hit squat. Either they had forgotten to select the correct profile or had not gotten the scope back exactly right.
Posted By: DoubleUp

Re: Pulsar Apex and Trails - Multiple profile settings - 09/25/18 01:14 PM

With the Apex models it is possible to change the setting without knowing it if you carry the rifle on your shoulder with the scope turned on. It depends on which shoulder you carry on, but the wheel that adjusts for brightness and contrast as well as accessing menu can rub against you back and change the setting. I found that out the hard way.

I only coyote hunt and so don't turn the scope on until I'm on stand. I don't know how you would do in hog hunting. Incidentally, I shoot left handed and carry the rifle on my left shoulder which makes it more likely for the wheel to rub against my shoulder or be pressed inadvertently. I try to remember to check the profile at the bottom of the scopes ocular view just to double check. Can't speak on the Trail models.
Posted By: Outdoor Legacy

Re: Pulsar Apex and Trails - Multiple profile settings - 09/25/18 01:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Toxarch
Is it possible to change the name of the setting so you always know what rifle each setting is zeroed for?

It isn't possible but I wish it was. I have my Trail XP50 zero'd on 3 rifles and the ONLY way I can remember which profile is for which rifle is because I have the profile info saved in the notes app on my phone and which I note which profile is for which rifle.

DoubleUp, that's really interesting, I never thought about the adjustment wheel on the Apexes getting bumped like that while on your shoulder. That would definitely make sense. That would be much less of an issue on the Trails since the buttons are flat on the top of the scope but in theory I guess it could still be possible if it got slung around enough but it would take some work.
Posted By: fr3db3ar

Re: Pulsar Apex and Trails - Multiple profile settings - 09/29/18 11:20 PM

I know people set their profiles but I do something different. My A profile if for my ARs. I set my profiles by bullet weight as all my centerfire are zeroed at 200. 95 is my grendel, 40, 52,55,69 for my 223. 25 for my 17 WSS (public land in my area requires rimfire). B profile is my bolts, 25 is my bmag, 58 is my 243. C is my 22 rim fires, 40,for my fvsr, 401 for my 10/22.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum