Texas Hunting Forum

Looking at a new Vortex Scope. Need some opinions.

Posted By: slymer

Looking at a new Vortex Scope. Need some opinions. - 08/09/18 04:32 PM

I have been wanting to upgrade the scope on my AR-10. I also have thought about getting a precision rifle. Came across this new scope that vortex has put out. The FFP caught my eye because most scopes that I looked with FFP start around $700-800. Thoughts?

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vort...2c_mrad-reticle
Posted By: Skylar Mac

Re: Looking at a new Vortex Scope. Need some opinions. - 08/09/18 04:36 PM

This is a brand new product Vortex released this morning and SWFA is taking pre-orders on it. As far as how it preforms, that is currently unknown. However if it is anything like the Diamondback tactical, its a fair option. The eye box to me seemed critical above 12X.
Generally speaking eye relief was consistent.
Field of view is within spec and the image is to be expected from sub $400. Comparatively speaking, I would say the scope that comes to mind is Nikon's prostaff when speaking of the resolution.

Certainly is a noteworthy option for a tactical scope on a budget that is feature rich.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Looking at a new Vortex Scope. Need some opinions. - 08/09/18 06:29 PM

That scope has crossed my mind for a good scope on the .17 or .22
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Looking at a new Vortex Scope. Need some opinions. - 08/09/18 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: slymer
I have been wanting to upgrade the scope on my AR-10. I also have thought about getting a precision rifle. Came across this new scope that vortex has put out. The FFP caught my eye because most scopes that I looked with FFP start around $700-800. Thoughts?

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vort...2c_mrad-reticle

If you have 750 to spend, go to the GAP site and order the Bushnell LRHSi. It is a proven performer, and it is waaaay better than anything Vortex makes without spending $2k.
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: Looking at a new Vortex Scope. Need some opinions. - 08/09/18 10:44 PM

I have a Gen 1 4-16 PST FFP that I'd sell for $550 if you're interested.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Looking at a new Vortex Scope. Need some opinions. - 08/10/18 01:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Skylar@SWFA
This is a brand new product Vortex released this morning and SWFA is taking pre-orders on it. As far as how it preforms, that is currently unknown. However if it is anything like the Diamondback tactical, its a fair option. The eye box to me seemed critical above 12X.
Generally speaking eye relief was consistent.
Field of view is within spec and the image is to be expected from sub $400. Comparatively speaking, I would say the scope that comes to mind is Nikon's prostaff when speaking of the resolution.

Certainly is a noteworthy option for a tactical scope on a budget that is feature rich.
I had a diamondback for awhile and my observations are pretty much in line with Skylar's. I wasn't overly impressed with the glass quality, but it was an ok scope.

If you can afford to spend $700-$800, there are quite a few better options. The Gen 1 PST that ITRDM mentioned is a good scope. The $750 LRHS mentioned above is another good choice. Both are a considerable upgrade over the Vortex Diamondback. The Vortex PST Gen 2 3-15 can be had for around $750 used and it's a really nice scope as well.
Posted By: slymer

Re: Looking at a new Vortex Scope. Need some opinions. - 08/10/18 01:38 AM

Thanks for the info guys!
Posted By: 4x4willie

Re: Looking at a new Vortex Scope. Need some opinions. - 08/15/18 11:24 PM

What website is that
Posted By: TX0303

Re: Looking at a new Vortex Scope. Need some opinions. - 08/16/18 04:45 PM

Originally Posted By: 4x4willie
What website is that

https://www.gaprecision.net/ga-store/optics/bushnell-lrhs-4-5-18x44-g2h-illum.html
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum