Texas Hunting Forum

Photon XT 4.6x

Posted By: aggiegolfer09

Photon XT 4.6x - 04/24/18 01:00 AM

I am having problems getting my sighted in. I ran out of room to zero vertically. Any ideas?
Posted By: Denogean3

Re: Photon XT 4.6x - 04/24/18 08:58 AM

What is the mounting height? I would also call sightmark, I tried purchasing one and they are having stopping production do to faulty parts. They won't be bringing out any new ones due to it so you may have recieved one that is faulty. Good luck
Posted By: Dragonuv

Re: Photon XT 4.6x - 04/24/18 12:35 PM

Do you happen to have an moa mount or rings that could possibly be installed backward?
Posted By: Outdoor Legacy

Re: Photon XT 4.6x - 04/24/18 08:21 PM

FYI: I was told by Sightmark yesterday that they are delaying current production of the Photon RT's because of a supply problem with one of the components. They just received a shipment of components that did not meet their standards and they are not willing to use sub standard parts. There has been NO info indicating that any scopes have been manufactured with bad components. I've sold a lot of the new Photon RT's and I've only had 1 unit returned that was reportedly having problems.

Aggie, this is not an uncommon problem on digital scopes, especially the older Photon because the digital reticles have a limited amount of movement. It's been much less of a problem on the RT's because they will move 50 clicks in each direction vs 30 clicks in the older models.

I'd suggest calling your dealer and seeing if he has any suggestions. He might have some tricks up his sleeve that I'd like to hear.

My advice is to first, take the scope out of the rings completely. Move the back ring to the front and the front ring to the back. Now re-mount the scope in the rings. This is super important....be sure that you put the tops on the rings and barely put all the screws in, both front and back. Then slowly and lightly tighten down the front and back rings evenly at the same time. It's extremely common for someone to tighten down the scope in the front or back ring first. This causes the scope to not be level in the rings and it can be tilted forwards or backwards. The same thing can happen left or right. I suggest putting the ring top screws in just like putting lug nuts on a wheel accept even more carefully and thought out.

If you've tried unmounting and re-mounting and that doesn't solve it and your dealer doesn't have any other suggestions, I'd go ahead and call Sightmark.

I've been down this road too many times to count and in the 4 years that the Photons have been on the market I've only seen 3 scopes they were really defective and not letting the scope be properly zeroed. 99.9% of the time it's a scope mounting issue.

I hope this helps and if not, it's definitely to talk to your dealer, he might have some advice.

- Jason
Posted By: fr3db3ar

Re: Photon XT 4.6x - 04/24/18 08:39 PM

We've had this on almost every gun. You can loosen up the camera ring and move toward the direction you need. (Usually down) or you shim the scope to get into the adjustment range that you need. I had good luck moving the camera.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum