Texas Hunting Forum

Range finding binos

Posted By: Buzzsaw

Range finding binos - 01/20/18 02:45 AM

anybody using these?

I looked at the Vortex and Nikon variants today at Cabela's. Any guess who won the comparison??? By a MILE !!!
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Range finding binos - 01/20/18 02:50 AM

If your eyes are anything like my 57 yr old ones, the Nikon was the easy winner when I compared them. The laser RF was much faster, and could read farther too.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Range finding binos - 01/20/18 02:56 AM

I borrowed Judd's Vortex Fury a couple months ago. The glass and the laser were both impressive. I could see fine detail at 350 yards well past legal light. The farthest I tested the laser was on a cedar at 1050 yards.
Posted By: RHutch

Re: Range finding binos - 01/20/18 03:31 AM

I have had the Zeiss 10x45 BRF since 2012 and had the Geovid before that.
Can't imagine hunting without a BRF of some flavor.
Posted By: Skylar Mac

Re: Range finding binos - 01/20/18 03:33 AM

Both were very good attempts by the manufactures, but I found the Nikon's more appealing as well.
Posted By: Theringworm

Re: Range finding binos - 01/20/18 03:54 AM

I have used both the Leicas and Swaros. Hard to tell much of a difference. If I had to I would lean towards the Swaros. The functionality of them is quite convenient. One less item to carry. One thing to consider is if you have one eye that has better vision than the other be sure and look through the binos with one eye while ranging something. I don’t recall which but the laser read out in the Leicas is on one side and for the Swaro it’s on the opposite side. So, if that’s a major issue for you, you sure don’t want to buy the binos that have the built in laser read out being projected in your weaker/blurry eye. Not aware of any binos that has the laser read out viewed in both optics. I don’t have any experience w/ the Vortex or Nikons.

Re: Range finding binos - 01/20/18 01:53 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
I borrowed Judd's Vortex Fury a couple months ago. The glass and the laser were both impressive. I could see fine detail at 350 yards well past legal light. The farthest I tested the laser was on a cedar at 1050 yards.

The optics are on par with the Viper HD's, pretty darn good, not exceptional. I had the Nikon and Vortex side by side in Cabelas parking lot on a cloudy day (best test I could do). This particular Fury wouldn't range past 600 yds, while the Nikon would go to 900 or so. The only reason I'd buy the Vortex is because of the warranty.

Re: Range finding binos - 01/20/18 02:51 PM

Yep, as usual the Vortex suked. Plus the Nikon's Eye relief was better than Vortwx for us old azz glasses wearers.

Re: Range finding binos - 01/20/18 02:53 PM

Judd had Vortex, not Swarovski RF Bino's???!!!! This is not like him. $$$ 2cents

Re: Range finding binos - 01/20/18 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

Judd had Vortex, not Swarovski RF Bino's???!!!! This is not like him. $$$ 2cents

Judd and I both can buy Vortex sigificantly less than retail, but only once a year.
Posted By: trigger time

Re: Range finding binos - 01/20/18 03:07 PM

From the ones I've tried and owned, i still carry a terrapin and swaro el's. The Bushnell's range better than any other ones I've tried, but the glass isnt acceptable. The swaro's are fantastic glass but they can have a little trouble bouncing a target in certain conditions and the display can be hard to read. Leicas let me down on a elk hunt under 800 yards. I haven't tried the Zeiss, but i have been told they are on par with the swaro's. I wish someome would make a pair that range and read as good as the Bushnell's but with swaro or Zeiss glass. Untill they do ill carry what I know works when it has too.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Range finding binos - 01/20/18 03:24 PM

I want a Terrapin, bad. I wish Vextronix would replace it.

Re: Range finding binos - 01/20/18 08:15 PM

If Meopta would import their MeoRange bino/rf unit I may be more interested in these combined units. IMO, RF technology is speeding ahead much faster than bino/glass technology, which is why I've kept them separate.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Range finding binos - 01/20/18 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Jgraider
IMO, RF technology is speeding ahead much faster than bino/glass technology, which is why I've kept them separate.

This. I prefer to update separately, although I can certainly understand the appeal of a single unified device.
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Range finding binos - 01/20/18 09:13 PM

I love my Leica Geovids
Posted By: BigDad

Re: Range finding binos - 01/20/18 10:51 PM

I bought the Nikon LaserForce binos on Black Friday at Cabelas and have used them several times deer hunting. The range finder is very good, I was able to range tree tops at 1600 yds. The glass is good with better clarity/contrast than my Leupold 10X50 binos but don't quite have the light gathering ability of the Leupold.

Re: Range finding binos - 01/21/18 03:42 AM

Thanks Joe, Cabelas is having a deal where I can get $120 points on my Cabelas Black card. Might have to pull the trigger and sell my Vortex Talons and Leica 1200 scan
Posted By: gusick

Re: Range finding binos - 01/21/18 04:26 AM

I want a range finder that displays the number of scope clicks I need to dial instead of yards. Do these do that or do you need a Leica?
Posted By: BigDad

Re: Range finding binos - 01/21/18 12:24 PM

No they don't have ballistics read out. They do account for inclination though. They are fast and provide near instantaneous readings but for some reason I have to press the button twice when first ranging.

Re: Range finding binos - 01/21/18 12:34 PM

Originally Posted By: gusick
I want a range finder that displays the number of scope clicks I need to dial instead of yards. Do these do that or do you need a Leica?

Gunwerks and Sig offer rangefinders that calculate ballistics and give holdover in MIL or MOA. They are not binoculars. Just rangefinders. They’re supposed to be excellent units, too.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Range finding binos - 01/21/18 04:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky

Nikon is suppose to be unvailing a new LR that will revolutionize the industry....what ever that means. We shall see.

For price hard to beat sig on stand alone unit and Lecia on Binos.

Re: Range finding binos - 01/21/18 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Nikon is suppose to be unvailing a new LR that will revolutionize the industry....what ever that means. We shall see.

Been looking hard at the Sig. Looking forward to what Nikon does.

Re: Range finding binos - 01/21/18 08:06 PM

Leupold is coming out with a TBR/DNA 2800. If it performs anything like my 1200 TBR it should be fantastic.
Posted By: trigger time

Re: Range finding binos - 01/22/18 09:32 AM

My Bushnell has a built in ballistics calculator. It's a bit of a pain to get it all set up, but it's accurate.
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Range finding binos - 01/22/18 03:54 PM

love my Leica HD 10x42s
I do not use the ballistic calculator model, just range..
I use different calibers often so I use a ballistic app and have data on each rifle.

They are such an "easy" to use bino too.. they have a great depth of field so if you are glassing at 100 yards into trees and then go to 300 yards you still have a great in focus view. I have a pair of Trijicon HD 10x42s as well, I take them both out and and my son uses the Trijicons, with them, you have to be on the focus wheel as you change distances...

Re: Range finding binos - 01/22/18 09:54 PM

Been looking hard at the Sig. Looking forward to what Nikon does.

Maybe this is it... no mention of ballistic software

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/...ed-rangefinder/

Re: Range finding binos - 01/23/18 02:26 AM

Thanks Bobo. That things looks very promising. I can do without the ballistics software, if it can do everything it claims at that price.

Re: Range finding binos - 01/23/18 02:00 PM

Thanks Bobo. That things looks very promising. I can do without the ballistics software, if it can do everything it claims at that price.

Yelp they nailed price point, Sig might have to up their game.

Re: Range finding binos - 01/23/18 02:08 PM

That isn't a binocular.

Re: Range finding binos - 01/23/18 03:30 PM

That isn't a binocular.

No, and that’s what I’d prefer. But it there isn’t a better bino option, I’m game. Still waiting, though.

Re: Range finding binos - 01/24/18 07:12 PM

That isn't a binocular.

All be damned, sure is....sorry. Damn motorized monoculars
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Range finding binos - 01/24/18 07:47 PM

I've never regretted purchasing my Leica Geovids. I had the original models and upgraded to the Geovid HD-B model with the ballistic calculator. Haven't used the BC yet, but the ergonomics and HD glass in the B models was worth the up-grade.

Re: Range finding binos - 01/24/18 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: BarneyWho
I've never regretted purchasing my Leica Geovids. I had the original models and upgraded to the Geovid HD-B model with the ballistic calculator. Haven't used the BC yet, but the ergonomics and HD glass in the B models was worth the up-grade.

I preferred the ergonomics of the HD-B over the EL, my current RF is 7x, lecia needs a 12x or 15x in the HD-B
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Range finding binos - 01/24/18 10:12 PM

I'm gonna keep my binos and rangefinders separate. For several reasons, but mainly because RF technology changes way more and faster than bino technology.
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Range finding binos - 01/25/18 05:48 AM

The only reason I'd buy the Vortex is because of the warranty.
I've had great experience with Nikon customer service...granted, I've never had an issues with their products, but between Vortex and Nikon, I think that they're both solid manufacturers but sometimes one-up each other.

Re: Range finding binos - 01/25/18 01:37 PM

They look like identical products to me when you see them side by side. Probably made in the same factory to slightly different specs.

Re: Range finding binos - 01/25/18 01:48 PM

I preferred the ergonomics of the HD-B over the EL, my current RF is 7x, lecia needs a 12x or 15x in the HD-B

Looks like lecia just dropped a 3000 yard HD-B model
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Range finding binos - 01/25/18 02:20 PM

Yep. Buddy sent me a picture from SHOT Show. He also got industry pricing if you want some. I've ranged cows out to 1200 yards in Paint Rock. I have no need to go past that.

Re: Range finding binos - 01/26/18 02:44 PM

Yep. Buddy sent me a picture from SHOT Show. He also got industry pricing if you want some. I've ranged cows out to 1200 yards in Paint Rock. I have no need to go past that.

I’ll wait until they come out with 12x or 15x. No use to range that far, I don’t even own a scope with enough adjustment to get that far much less 2000 yards

Re: Range finding binos - 01/26/18 03:31 PM

I do, and I need a laser that will do it!
Posted By: Bow hunter 91

Re: Range finding binos - 04/24/18 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By: syncerus
IMO, RF technology is speeding ahead much faster than bino/glass technology, which is why I've kept them separate.

This. I prefer to update separately, although I can certainly understand the appeal of a single unified device.

My approach exactly. Much easier to tailor the product to each hunting needs.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum