Posted By: ccoker

Re: Low Light Optics - 12/07/17 04:00 PM

budget?
Posted By: PolishTexan

Re: Low Light Optics - 12/07/17 04:02 PM

$2,000
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Low Light Optics - 12/07/17 04:08 PM

I have a Leupold VX6 that seems to create light. Really impressed with the low light capability of this scope. It's under your budget.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Low Light Optics - 12/07/17 04:21 PM

Are you willing to move up to a 56mm objective and high/extra-high rings?

Re: Low Light Optics - 12/07/17 04:27 PM

yes if its quality glass

Re: Low Light Optics - 12/07/17 04:50 PM

has anyone shot the Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5-27X56?
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Low Light Optics - 12/07/17 04:56 PM

Thermal. clap

Seriously, I just went through this for a hunting scope and bought the VX-6HD 3-18x50, was noticeably brighter than similar Swaro and Zeiss. I didn't look at heavy tactical scopes though.
Posted By: gr8fuldoug

Re: Low Light Optics - 12/07/17 04:57 PM

Originally Posted By: PolishTexan
has anyone shot the Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5-27X56?

May i suggest you take a peek at the Athlon Optics Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 - APLR FFP IR
It is available in MIL or MOA and runs $700.00 less and has been rated superior. Made in Japan

FEATURES
EHD Glass: Extra Low Dispersion HD Glass significantly reduces chromatic aberration giving you an utmost bright and sharp image with true color reproduction.
Illuminated Reticle: The illuminated reticle provides greater visibility during dusk and dawn and other low ambient light environment.
First Focal Plane Reticle: First focal plane reticle stays valid at all power settings allowing you to fully utilize the specially designed reticle that shrinks or grows along with your target as you zoom in or out. The reticle offers quick target engagement at low power while offering precise holdover positions with finer details.
Etched Glass Reticle: Reticle etched on the glass that provides excellent backing support for complex reticle design and offers great durability and much higher shock resistance to recoil
Advanced Fully Multicoated: Fully Multicoated optics effectively reduces reflected light and increases the transmission of light giving you a brighter image than normal single coated lenses
XPL Coating: XPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches or anything else mother nature can throw at you.
Precision Zero Stop System: The system allows you to lock down your zero position and dial back to it with a sharp and precise stop right at your zero mark even you are turning it in pitch-dark or blinded folded.
High Precision Erector System: The high precision erector system processed by high precision CNC machine with +/- 0.0001mm tolerance level to provide you the most accurate power settings and smoothest magnification change
6061 T6 Aluminum: The 6061T6 aircraft grade aluminum tube that has exceptional strength and superior mechanical integrity will protect these world class optics no matter what punishment you throw at it.
Exposed Tactical Direct Dial: Exposed Direct Dial Turrets for elevation and windage allow you to quickly make adjustment as you needed and engage your target within a blink of your eyes
One Piece Tube Construction: Heat treated one piece tube gives the scope extra strength over multi-piece tubes. A one piece tube also is better at keeping moisture out thus keeping your scope fog proof for the life of the product
Waterproof: Waterproof to protect the scope in the harshest weather conditions or if accidently submerged underwater
Fog proof: Fog proof to allow you to immediately engage your target when you take your rifle to cold ambient temperature from warm inside
Shockproof: Robust mechanical system with special designs on both control and erector system that give you the ultimate recoil resistance to withstand 1000G recoil for 1000 times.
Argon Purged: Argon Purging uses the inertia gas with bigger size molecules to purge any moisture out of the tube giving you better waterproofing and thermal stability.

Please feel free to give us a call, 516-217-1000, to discuss this or other options as well as your special TH member pricing
Posted By: dashing dog

Re: Low Light Optics - 12/07/17 05:19 PM

Bought a Swarvoski Z6 3-18
Amazing glass from low light up close when shooting hogs to long distance (not in low light of course)...... 570 yards so far.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Low Light Optics - 12/07/17 05:34 PM

I have the Vortex Razor Gen 2 3-18 and it's exceptional. That said, the non-dialing 1" LH line is also exceptional and is much, much lighter weight. The Razor Gen 2 is built like a tank, and is correspondingly heavy. Is this for a target or a hunting rifle? Are you planning on moving with the rifle? How far do you normally shoot?

Inquiring minds want to know.

wink

Re: Low Light Optics - 12/07/17 06:00 PM

HAHA ;),,, I want it for both really. I usually take 200 yard shots when hunting, but every now and again I go hunting where the shots can be up to 500 yards. Weight of the scope really has no barring, I'm used to lifting heavy things. How does yours look when its low light? Thanbks
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Low Light Optics - 12/07/17 06:35 PM

$2,000

Night Force ATACR F-1 4-16X.
Posted By: RHutch

Re: Low Light Optics - 12/08/17 01:20 PM

My "go to" for low light, defined by me as after/before legal shooting hours, is either the 3-12x56 Zeiss Diavari/Victory/HT or the Schmidt or Swaro in similar config. I've owned 3 of the 3-12x56 Diavaris and could always see into the night with them. All were FFP.
Had a 6-24x72 for a while that was almost like night vision. It could see well into the night, even at distance.

I would venture to state that, based on the advancements in optical systems over the past few years, almost all of the current quality scopes in your stated price range should easily get a hunter to the extreme edges of legal shooting light.
If you want to make it easier, get a quality scope with a 56mm front end.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Low Light Optics - 12/08/17 02:28 PM

VX6 w/firedot reticle.
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Low Light Optics - 12/08/17 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
$2,000

x2 or if you up the budget some, I absolutely love my 5-25 but it's a bit heavier.
Posted By: pokerj2

Re: Low Light Optics - 12/08/17 02:54 PM

I have a zeiss Diavari (sp) that is superb low light 3-12/56

Re: Low Light Optics - 12/08/17 07:31 PM

Great info guys. I guess I forgot to mention I wanted a scope with mil reticle and mil adjustments.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Low Light Optics - 12/08/17 08:19 PM

Great info guys. I guess I forgot to mention I wanted a scope with mil reticle and mil adjustments.

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
$2,000

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Low Light Optics - 12/08/17 08:32 PM

I'm seeing a lot of FFP scopes being thrown around. You lose some gathering capability with a tiny reticle

My first choice would be a NF 4x16x50 atacr sfp

If you are going anywhere near $2000 the NF or Schmidt or Kahles

Lowlight is very important to me

Re: Low Light Optics - 12/09/17 03:42 AM

For $2k it is easy enough to find a gently used Hensoldt in the 3-12x56 or 4-16x56 variety that will check all your boxes. They are amazing optically, are FFP, basic illuminated mildot reticle in the $2k price point and have .1 mil spinners. They do not have zero stop.
Had a 3-12 and sold it in excellent condition for $1850 IIRC.

Re: Low Light Optics - 12/09/17 03:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
I'm seeing a lot of FFP scopes being thrown around. You lose some gathering capability with a tiny reticle

Quality optical systems and illumination make FFP reticles on low power a non-issue.
I don't understand your statement about "gathering capability". What are you referring to?
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Low Light Optics - 12/09/17 12:47 PM

Originally Posted By: RHutch
I would venture to state that, based on the advancements in optical systems over the past few years, almost all of the current quality scopes in your stated price range should easily get a hunter to the extreme edges of legal shooting light.

It seems some want a scope that allows them to shoot well past that time.

Re: Low Light Optics - 12/09/17 03:13 PM

And that's cool for hogs and varmints in the night darkness. A quality scope with a 56 obj is where I'd start.

Not sure the 4-16 ATACR is the best choice for extreme low light but I will find out this coming week. I have 2 of the F1 variant and will be out for a 5 day hunt with one of them next week. Also taking the 2-10 NXS compact for comparison as they have the same obj size. Should be interesting.
Posted By: dee

Re: Low Light Optics - 12/09/17 08:14 PM

My 3-15x50 Premier is scary good in low light. My gen 1 razor does well in it's own right too but not as good. It was a bit better in low light than my old 5.5-22x56 nightforce nxs but the nf was better in mid day.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Low Light Optics - 12/09/17 09:35 PM

A lot depends on use.

For example a mark 6 is a light scope, great for small frame ar

The vortex is a tank. Great quality but heavy. May not want if you are carrying around a lot

Nightforce is known for high quality. Good balance

Most quality scopes can be had in mil/mil
Posted By: booradley

Re: Low Light Optics - 12/10/17 12:44 PM

I like Leica.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Low Light Optics - 12/14/17 02:51 AM

Zeiss Victory HT is worth a look for your application. In low light conditions it is among the best.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Low Light Optics - 12/15/17 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: dashing dog
Bought a Swarvoski Z6 3-18
Amazing glass from low light up close when shooting hogs to long distance (not in low light of course)...... 570 yards so far.

This fo sho
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum