Texas Hunting Forum

Thermal or NV clip on.

Posted By: Aquaman

Thermal or NV clip on. - 03/07/17 04:39 AM

Looking for either a thermal or a night vision that would clip on in front of a scope and be effective at say 150-200m.

Suggestions?
Posted By: MDMORROW

Re: Thermal or NV clip on. - 03/07/17 05:55 AM

Hi there. I'm a dealer for most brands of thermal and NV and I'd be glad to try to figure out what route to go.

Couple questions, what type of scope are you planning to run it in front of? Are you sure you want to run a clip on? Reason I ask is they add a bunch of weight out forward on the rifle. You can effectively do the same sort of thing by running the day scope in a good repeatable QD mount plus having a qd mount on the thermal.

Lastly what kind of budget are you working with?

Be glad to try to guide you to the right thing and help answer any questions you might have.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Thermal or NV clip on. - 03/07/17 08:00 PM

Buy a Photon XT and mod it to use M42 or C-Mount camera lenses. You'll save a ton of money.

I already had an XT but I picked up another used XT with an IR torch and extra accessories for $350. The lens adapters are $40. I had some Nikon camera lenses sitting around the house which reduced the cost of buying glass to put on the front of the NV scope but with the advent of digital photography old school high end camera lenses are dirt cheap. And I mean DIRT CHEAP.

Optics are one of the drivers for the high cost of good NV scopes, not to mention the expense of good thermals with higher magnifications and larger objective lenses. My Photon XT with a camera lens and supplemental IR light works better than a weapon mounted $3800 Gen 3 PVS14 with a hand select tube and an Aimpoint or Trijicon magnifier and works as well as a good long range thermal, albeit without the contrast you get between warm objects against the cooler background , which is inherent in the sight picture on a thermal. Hence the reason I prefer using a Scout TK for locating pigs then the NV scope for shooting. It's cheap. And works very well.

You can build the same rig I use for less than $650 at retail prices, even less if you get used. And pocket the thousands of dollars saved for more firearms smile

MD, I noticed you carry TNVC products. I've known Vic for, what, 20+ years, long before he manufactured his own products, and I've played with a LOT of his toys. Cool stuff for sure, particularly the MIL/LEO kit. Those Steiner IR lasers are the sh1t, it's a shame their limited to class 1 for civilian use. I've got a couple old school AN/PAQ's that I use for hogs and they work like a champ.
Posted By: TX0303

Re: Thermal or NV clip on. - 03/07/17 10:12 PM

Where do you get the adapters for the XT? Only one I found is in the UK.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Thermal or NV clip on. - 03/07/17 11:41 PM

I purchased the adapter from the U.K.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum