Texas Hunting Forum

What has happened to SWFA?

Posted By: Deerhunter61

What has happened to SWFA? - 05/11/16 07:10 PM

These guys used the be the first and last place I went for optics! They were ALWAYS professional and helpful in addition to having very good prices. The personel were very knowledgable and seemed to want to make sure you got exactly what you needed. Unfortunately since they've expanded prices have gone up and the people are to say the least petty and rude. The last time I was there I inquired about a new sight they had on their website which the guy helping me said they didn't carry because it was lousy quality. So I inquired about another sight they had in the glass case and when he walked away he mumbled something about how bad the quality the second sight I inquired about was. Ugh! The guy frankly was a jerk. Why in the world would they carry something or advertise something that is a lousy product? I certainly understand that most often you get what you pay for and that products that cost less, tasco vs zeiss, isn't going to perform as well as more expensive optics. Given that, there simply isn't any reason for the lousy attitude and service. No longer are they the first or even second place I shop for optics.

Mel
Posted By: J.G.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/11/16 07:46 PM

Sorry to hear that.

Skylar isn't going to like learning about this. He's always who I deal with, on the phone, and has always done a bang-up job.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/11/16 08:12 PM

I have been in several times. I am not one to interact much with the folks working there - as I mainly just go in there to buy something specific or just look around. I have bought several guns there over the past year and have had no issues.

So I have had a fair amount of "observation time". My general impression is not all that great. Pretty nonchalant service overall, sometimes I have witnessed what the OP relates with other customers, etc. Just a general feeling of service ranging from nonchalant to downright dismissive. One gets the idea that the help there is borderline lazy and there is an air of condescension that emanates from them. Not every time or every person there every time, but that's the overall impression I get.

There are pretty obviously "buddies" and/or known customers that the workers are very friendly to/go out of their way to help. To me, that just highlights the lackluster service that others receive.

As most will attest, this atmosphere is unfortunately common at many gun and archery shops. Probably the norm more than the exception. I am not saying that SWFA is overtly unfriendly (I have seen shops that fit in that category too).

But I am always mystified that owners/managers don't drill into their reps' heads that a genuinely friendly demeanor and willingness to relate to customers will sell a lot of merchandise.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/11/16 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

But I am always mystified that owners/managers don't drill into their reps' heads that a genuinely friendly demeanor and willingness to relate to customers will sell a lot of merchandise.

Or a service. I've had customers come back a second time, as well as have referred me to their friends. I'm nice, I'm reassuring, and I make it fun. Customer service is of top importance. If I didn't operate the way I do, I'd get lots of bad press and eventually have no more customers. Of course it's easier for me. I don't have any employees to have to wrangle. One employee can make a customer have a bad attitude toward an otherwise good business.
Posted By: cmorsch

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/11/16 08:32 PM

That part that gets me with them is that they dont have a live inventory or didnt last time I asked. I can walk into the store ask for a item that shows in stock, they go over to their system and say we dont have any of those currently. Yet I can buy one online only to be told after the fact that its back ordered. That is a big reason I look else where most of the time.
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/12/16 02:07 AM

Last few times I've tried to deal with them I've gone elsewhere. Paid more maybe but got better service. I don't know everything about scopes so I'm usually full of questions. If they don't want to take the time I need to make a purchase there are 100's of other people that will.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/12/16 02:21 AM

Swfa is over rated by a long shot, crappy customer service
Posted By: patriot07

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/12/16 10:33 AM

I just dealt with Skylar and SWFA last week. Traded in my SWFA 16x42 for an SWFA 3-15x42. He was helpful and answered probably a half dozen questions I had via PM. After I got the trade-in offer online, I drove down to the store to do the physical trade-in and the employee at the store was busy with another customer for about 5-10 minutes. I could tell he was answering a bunch of questions the guy had about several different scopes, and as soon as he had a chance to come help me out, he rushed over and apologized for the wait. He was friendly and helped me find a couple of accessories, and frankly, I was very impressed with the quality of employees that Skylar had hired and trained. I even took the time to PM him afterwards and let him know about my good experience.

Sorry to hear that yours wasn't the same, but I don't think that your issues are a company-wide problem. Maybe one bad employee?
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/12/16 01:27 PM

Originally Posted By: jhenderson
Last few times I've tried to deal with them I've gone elsewhere. Paid more maybe but got better service. I don't know everything about scopes so I'm usually full of questions. If they don't want to take the time I need to make a purchase there are 100's of other people that will.

I have never dealt with SWFA, but this is how a lot of smaller businesses operate. For example, a good buddy of mine has a motorcycle/atv parts business who sells thousands of parts every day. They are primarily an online sales business, but have a small storefront. They do keep a few things in stock, but those items cost them money to keep on the shelf. To keep costs low, they either drop ship straight from manufacturers or have it shipped to their shop, then ship them out. It keeps their overhead costs low so they don't have millions of dollars worth of inventory to keep up with/pay for.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/12/16 01:50 PM

Dealt with them multiple times with no issues. I always go through Skylar.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/12/16 03:06 PM

Sounds like most of the LGS I've ever been in, sadly.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/12/16 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan

I think a couple of you are attributing great service from SWFA to a single person, Skyler. I have no doubt that if I dealt with Skyler I'd get good service but I don't know Skyler and my experience when I go to the store or call in has been very poor.

Frankly it's been worse than poor. It's been very disrespectful and condescending. Based on others comments above my experience has been shared by others. This is not a recipe for success....I now think of them in the same way I do Cheaper Than Dirt.
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/12/16 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

LGS ???
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/12/16 06:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Elkhunter49
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

LGS ???

Local Gnife Store

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/12/16 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61

I think a couple of you are attributing great service from SWFA to a single person, Skyler. I have no doubt that if I dealt with Skyler I'd get good service but I don't know Skyler and my experience when I go to the store or call in has been very poor.

Frankly it's been worse than poor. It's been very disrespectful and condescending. Based on others comments above my experience has been shared by others. This is not a recipe for success....I now think of them in the same way I do Cheaper Than Dirt.

And when I asked for skylar I was interrogated. The person said unless skylar could tell me what I wanted to ask him he would not put him on
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/12/16 08:45 PM

I agree 100%
If skylar wasn't there as a buffer no telling how bad it would be. Customer service and prices can easily be beat.
Posted By: Ag Hunter 78

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/13/16 12:03 AM

I am not in the DFW area so I have only dealt with Skylar via emails. Huge difference as he's always provided great prompt service and competitive prices. Sorry to hear he has an employee or two that need pink slips.
Posted By: Txhillbilly

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/13/16 02:00 AM

SWFA lost my business several years ago. I called the store and asked the person to verify that they had 4 higher end scopes in stock so I could visually compare them in person. He put me on hold,and then told me they had all of them in stock. I drove 50+ miles to SWFA's store only to find out that they had just 1 of the scopes that I was interested in buying in stock.

They will never get a dime of my money,I've got better places to buy optics from.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/13/16 03:08 AM

Well, this is not what I wanted to hear. I am looking to buy right now and was going to use SWFA. Looks like I may need to back off until this clears. I have always heard Skyler is the man to talk to from both THF and TFF but he isn't going to know me so that sucks.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/13/16 03:46 PM

Great customer service is not hard. Just be friendly, establish a rapport with the customer, and go from there.

Anyone can be trained to do it. If the customer wants to be left alone - leave them alone. If they want assistance, just ask a couple more questions to get a feel for the level of assistance they need - and go from there.

If you don't know, you admit it, and find someone who does. These guys who think they have all the answers without really even knowing the question run off more business than they bring in. Most of the time they are young, but not always.
Posted By: okierifleman

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/13/16 04:15 PM

I dealt with them at the TTH show in Houston one time. Last time. This was a couple of years ago, when I was contemplating switching all of my scopes over to mils from MOA. The guy I ended up with was a complete jackass. I was there to buy and apparently he didnt have time for questions. Wait. Aren't you here to sell?
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/14/16 11:30 AM

The times I've dealt with skylar have been fine every other time not so much.
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/14/16 12:56 PM

Here's my thought. These days you need to be an informed customer. Don't expect a LGS employee making $7/hr to answer all your questions when they have probably never used the gun, scope, or optic you're interested in. The internet has a wealth of knowledge and will have better information than any LGS employee. Do your due diligence and know what you're buying before you walk in or call in. The only thing you should be calling, visiting, or emailing them for is in-stock status and to place an order. That's how I treat all my LGS purchases and it's never let me down.

Personally, I've never been let down by SWFA. I've dealt with them over email, PM, phone, and in person over the years. Maybe their CS has gone downhill since I last dealt with them (2 months ago, although it was Skylar that placed my order) but only times I contact them is for in-stock status and to purchase. I don't want/need their information, advice, or 2cents because I've already done my homework by the time I'm reaching out to them.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/14/16 01:40 PM

Originally Posted By: jeepercreeper
Here's my thought. These days you need to be an informed customer. Don't expect a LGS employee making $7/hr to answer all your questions when they have probably never used the gun, scope, or optic you're interested in. The internet has a wealth of knowledge and will have better information than any LGS employee. Do your due diligence and know what you're buying before you walk in or call in. The only thing you should be calling, visiting, or emailing them for is in-stock status and to place an order. That's how I treat all my LGS purchases and it's never let me down.

Personally, I've never been let down by SWFA. I've dealt with them over email, PM, phone, and in person over the years. Maybe their CS has gone downhill since I last dealt with them (2 months ago, although it was Skylar that placed my order) but only times I contact them is for in-stock status and to purchase. I don't want/need their information, advice, or 2cents because I've already done my homework by the time I'm reaching out to them.

I agree with the top half. But swfa should not put themselves in positions where they take from customers. They should not tell customers things that are not true. They should not make it difficult to shop.

Doug at camera land has been great. buy when I call and he is not there, I still get good service. It's almost as if it doesn't matter who I talk to

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/14/16 01:43 PM

I certainly didn't "ask" for advice when I was there last so when I asked if they had the sight I was looking for in the back that they advertised online I was told, rudely I might add, that they didn't have it and that they didn't carry lousy product in store and I then requested to see something they had in the glass case, the guy made disparaging remarks about that product as well. This was absolutely the poorest customer service I've seen in quite a while.

Frankly, SWFA presents themselves as EXPERTS where optics are concerned and if they are going to present themselves as such they should be experts. And they should be able to present information upon request with consideration, expertise and CLASS! There's absolutely no reason to be a jerk to customers. Frankly you have a very LOW standard to which you hold people. Perhaps that's why they behave the way they do...because people like you are ok with poor service..it sounds like you go in expecting poor service and are ok with receiving it... Also I noticed you mentioned Skyler...as has been stated he does seem to provide good service, at least to those he knows. I've never had any dealings with him but from what I've read he does a good job. If he is part of the ownership/management of this store perhaps he needs to teach the others to more effectively handle their customers because he is the only one from that organization that seems to treat customers as they should be treated. And it definitely seems that once they expanded they have become much worse at customer service.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/14/16 02:49 PM

Frankly you have a very LOW standard to which you hold people. Perhaps that's why they behave the way they do...because people like you are ok with poor service..it sounds like you go in expecting poor service and are ok with receiving it...

I value price and quality. I only value customer service when it is an actual service. Buying an optic is not a service. It is a purchase. I can purchase things by myself, doing my own due diligence, and engaging any retailer I choose. Services are completely different. If I am paying for a service then i expect customer service. Frankly I could care less if the guys at SWFA are jerks as long as they have what I need, at the price I need. I've knowingly bought lots of stuff from jerks because I care more about their price and quality.

Chad sells a product, if he was a jerk it doesnt necessarily mean people wont buy his ammo because his ammo is top notch and stands on its own (BTW, Chads ammo is truly awesome...highly recommend)

Jason sells a service, if he was a jerk he probably wont get alot of referrals regardless of his knowledge and teaching methods (BTW, Jasons class is well worth the $...highly recommend)
Posted By: Teal28

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/14/16 02:52 PM

Bought some Ziess Binos about two years ago now form them. Very helpful salesman, made sure I got the rebate card as well.
Posted By: Tbar

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/14/16 02:53 PM

Originally Posted By: okierifleman
I dealt with them at the TTH show in Houston one time. Last time. This was a couple of years ago, when I was contemplating switching all of my scopes over to mils from MOA. The guy I ended up with was a complete jackass. I was there to buy and apparently he didnt have time for questions. Wait. Aren't you here to sell?

LOL.......when I get treated this way I ask in a loud voice if they are the head of the "Sales Prevention Department."

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/14/16 03:08 PM

Also can you tell us what optics you inquired about while at SWFA? That would help us understand the context and maybe the sales guy was right that they are lousy products.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/14/16 05:43 PM

Also can you tell us what optics you inquired about while at SWFA? That would help us understand the context and maybe the sales guy was right that they are lousy products.

That's utterly irrelevant...IF they are that lousy why in the world are they carrying them? I own optics that range from $50-$3500 and each one serves a particular purpose. I realized going in that it wasn't the top of the line product and it was reflected via the overall price but it would have been sufficient for what I was going to be using it for. The clerks attitude and demeanor didn't have to be that of a jerk. His responsibility was to be considerate and helpful. I didn't ask for his help beyond taking it out of the glass case so I could look at it....I didn't ask for his opinion. Frankly IF he'd been respectful and NICE in HOW he spoke THEN perhaps him letting me know it's not the best product would have been received by me better but he was just a jerk.

As for your definition of service it is only 50% correct. Frankly I'll pay more for a product IF the service is excellent and service is more than just what you described...perhaps you can check websters and read ALL the different aspects of the definition of service.

It sounds like your happy with what you get from them...good for you...but from what I've read I'm definitely not alone in my experience.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/14/16 07:38 PM

Chad sells a product, if he was a jerk it doesnt necessarily mean people wont buy his ammo because his ammo is top notch and stands on its own (BTW, Chads ammo is truly awesome...highly recommend)

Jason sells a service, if he was a jerk he probably wont get alot of referrals regardless of his knowledge and teaching methods (BTW, Jasons class is well worth the $...highly recommend)

I am a jerk, I just hide it from my customers. Chad is nicer than me, maybe we need to trade jobs.

Thank you for the kind words. smile

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/14/16 07:58 PM

That's utterly irrelevant...IF they are that lousy why in the world are they carrying them? I own optics that range from $50-$3500 and each one serves a particular purpose. I realized going in that it wasn't the top of the line product and it was reflected via the overall price but it would have been sufficient for what I was going to be using it for. The clerks attitude and demeanor didn't have to be that of a jerk. His responsibility was to be considerate and helpful. I didn't ask for his help beyond taking it out of the glass case so I could look at it....I didn't ask for his opinion. Frankly IF he'd been respectful and NICE in HOW he spoke THEN perhaps him letting me know it's not the best product would have been received by me better but he was just a jerk.

As for your definition of service it is only 50% correct. Frankly I'll pay more for a product IF the service is excellent and service is more than just what you described...perhaps you can check websters and read ALL the different aspects of the definition of service.

It sounds like your happy with what you get from them...good for you...but from what I've read I'm definitely not alone in my experience.

Perhaps you should spend more time reaching out to SWFA management to voice your disdain and bad experience rather than publicly bashing a reputable vendor that has helped alot of us on this forum over the years with tax and shipping discounts.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/14/16 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

I am a jerk, I just hide it from my customers. Chad is nicer than me, maybe we need to trade jobs.

Thank you for the kind words. smile

I saw right thru your act when you didnt offer me a bite of your sandwich. Any time bud, i really learned alot in your class.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/14/16 10:33 PM

Based on what I've read their reputation has been built on here via one person...so HE has a great reputation and the company has benefited from it.

As for my responsibility to them? Surely you jest...I think you have that backwards too. This isn't the first post where their poor service has been spoken of and yet it appears nothing has changed. You'd think they would get a clue and train their associates.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/15/16 12:39 PM

Perhaps you should spend more time reaching out to SWFA management to voice your disdain and bad experience rather than publicly bashing a reputable vendor that has helped alot of us on this forum over the years with tax and shipping discounts.

That's completely unfair. Sharing experiences with retailers is one of the top benefits of forums like this. They are a retailer serving the public. Having reviews (good or bad) of your products and service made public online through social media is not only proper - it's pretty much the way of the world these days.

As well it should be. Being able to check out online reviews of retailers is one of the best benefits of the internet. You want good reviews? Provide good products/services. And if you don't, expect less-than-good reviews.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/15/16 06:53 PM

With all the good reviews people have wrote about dealing with Skylar I don't know why y'all continue to deal with other people who work there if you have this avenue of approach to use. All you have to do is message him on here and he will give you the number and his extension so you bypass anyone else. You don't have to know him just send him a PM and he will help you out everytime.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/16/16 01:21 PM

In the 4 times I've been to the store, I've worked with 3 different employees who were not Skylar. All were helpful, friendly, and knowledgeable. Not sure who yall are talking to, but it's not the same ones I've seen.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/16/16 02:21 PM

Similar to how it was claimed that some of us are basing our positive experiences with SWFA on interactions with Skylar, maybe some of you guys are basing your negative experiences with SWFA on 1 or 2 employees. If you're the type that needs better customer service, its simple, either contact SWFA about your issue or work through Skylar.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/16/16 02:23 PM

Yeah it's not that simple. I wish I recorded the call of asking for skylar on the phone....

I have also talked to there "customer service manager" not sure if she has an ounce of care in her

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/16/16 02:47 PM

Similar to how it was claimed that some of us are basing our positive experiences with SWFA on interactions with Skylar, maybe some of you guys are basing your negative experiences with SWFA on 1 or 2 employees. If you're the type that needs better customer service, its simple, either contact SWFA about your issue or work through Skylar.

Maybe so. But here's my take on any retailer dealing with the public: their employees are their representatives, not mine. I didn't hire them. They are not my responsibility. And it's not the customer's responsibility to have to dig through the roster of employees to find one who will deal with them properly. Or even to complain to management, fill out surveys, or stuff like that. It's fine if you want to do that, but I ain't got the time or inclination to do so. I usually just keep my mouth shut and vote with my $$.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/16/16 03:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Cleric
Yeah it's not that simple. I wish I recorded the call of asking for skylar on the phone....

I have also talked to there "customer service manager" not sure if she has an ounce of care in her
I talked to her two weeks ago when I got my scope. She looked up something to see if they had it in stock, got an answer to another question I had about an FFP version of the 3-15x42, and coordinated with the in-store employee that day to make sure he knew I was coming in and that I had a trade-in and was purchasing a demo scope from the sample list.

I guess I'll change that to "4" employees other than Skylar I've dealt with who were great. I honestly am not sure who you guys are talking to that you're having bad experiences with.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/16/16 03:24 PM

I believe she will go out of her way to get your money. When it comes to getting what you paid for she doesn't care. Why should she? She has your money

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/16/16 05:25 PM

it really is simple. PM Skylar and he will give you the number and his extension so you bypass other people.
Posted By: passthru

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/16/16 05:39 PM

it really is simple. PM Skylar and he will give you the number and his extension so you bypass other people.

Okay that may be true but I can see how it may rub people wrong enough for them to just go someplace else. You shouldn't have to deal with just one person to get real service. Granted Skylar may be a great point person for the company but a supporting staff would make it a lot better experience all around don't you think?

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/16/16 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By: passthru

Okay that may be true but I can see how it may rub people wrong enough for them to just go someplace else. You shouldn't have to deal with just one person to get real service. Granted Skylar may be a great point person for the company but a supporting staff would make it a lot better experience all around don't you think?
I completely agree but since I do all my business with them over the phone or online I'm not worried about the others that work there. I would be disappointed if I went to the store and was treated like crap but then again I'd prob tell them to their face how ate up they are rather than come here and complain

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/16/16 07:13 PM

Just made it that simple

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/16/16 07:23 PM

Originally Posted By: passthru

I completely agree but since I do all my business with them over the phone or online I'm not worried about the others that work there. I would be disappointed if I went to the store and was treated like crap but then again I'd prob tell them to their face how ate up they are rather than come here and complain

I understand what you are talking about but I am not like you. If it was a $$$ issue then yeh I would take it up with them but not for terrible service. I simply choose to go elsewhere and just as I let everyone know how great they were when they were great I am also letting people know how bad their service is now. I live close enough to these guys to stop by the store to do business with them. I used to be one of their biggest fans, on here and other places. I would always tell folks they should check out SWFA first because they ran a great business but since they have moved to the new location and have different people working the retail there it has simply sucked! This post isn't a result of being treated poorly once or even twice. I believe in giving people second and third chances and I have done that with them and said nothing while doing so but the service hasn't improved and they truly are rude and arrogant. I figure this gives them a chance to address these areas in their business and hopefully improve. If I was the only on here that felt they have poor service this post would have died a long time ago but I am not. Perhaps they will/have read this post and considered training their people to do a better job handling their business. If so then there could be something good come out of this post for them but frankly I doubt they will do anything.

I do read people's responses about different stores etc. I don't want to waste my time going to a place that has a bad reputation for service so I very much appreciate guys posting things on here guarding whether a place is good or bad.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/16/16 08:38 PM

Just made it that simple

so you think a good business is one in which you have to research which associate you want to deal with?

You have got to be kidding me...
Posted By: Dien

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/16/16 09:08 PM

Guys there are great. Never even dealt with Skylar before there. They are pretty busy there but will take care of you when your turn is up.

Where else around town will a store open up multiple $3k scopes just so customers can check them out?

But yes, inventory is lousy, gotta call before you go.
Posted By: jon9116

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/16/16 10:03 PM

I haven't had any issues

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/16/16 11:02 PM

Just made it that simple

so you think a good business is one in which you have to research which associate you want to deal with?

Don't remember saying that, just saying if you can have an option to go through him and never have any issues then why not? Who cares about the rest of the people working there? Lots of people get there hair cut at a specific place by the same person every time even though other barbers work there. Some employees are better then others it happens everywhere. The best thing to do would be email someone at SWFA and voice your disappointment so maybe someone could do something about it rather than wine about it on a forum.

For me I'm going to keep using SWFA and going through Skylar bc I know he will make the process easy. Ill be ordering a SWFA 1x4 tomorrow if I can't find what I'm looking for in a trade.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/17/16 12:50 AM

Just made it that simple

Most of us have never had to do that. I think he's just giving you another choice.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/17/16 01:19 AM

Originally Posted By: patriot07

Just made it that simple

Most of us have never had to do that. I think he's just giving you another choice.
Patriot07 thank you for showing some common sense, some have it some don't.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/17/16 01:35 AM

So because I don't feel like I shouldn't even look up one particular person's number, means I lack common sense

I hope they don't treat anyone like they treated me. Sorry that my common sense tells me that a company shouldn't steal from its customers. I have integrity, swfa does not

Sapper as you would say. Some have integrity and some don't...

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/17/16 01:51 AM

No I think your assumption of my post lacked common sense. I never had to research anything. People commented about their positive interactions on here and when I finally needed something from them I just PMed Skylar it was that easy and right then and there he gave me his number and extension. I didn't have to google who to call I just used the same person so many other had positive comments about. Of coarse not everyone has that option bc they don't know Skylar exists but if you know he does and he has so many good references why not go through him and skip any potential headaches.

I have also talked to Dillon Hazelwood and he was very helpful and quick to answer questions.

As far as in store customer service I have no idea bc I've never been there and as long as Skylar works there ill prob never have to go there. I agree they would be better off if all the employees were as helpful as Skylar and maybe with a few emails (maybe attach this thread) they will get everyone on the same page as far as how to treat potential customers.

As far as Integrity, I think that is the number one value a person can have.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/17/16 01:58 AM

So because I don't feel like I shouldn't even look up one particular person's number, means I lack common sense

I hope they don't treat anyone like they treated me. Sorry that my common sense tells me that a company shouldn't steal from its customers. I have integrity, swfa does not

Sapper as you would say. Some have integrity and some don't...

SWFA steals from its customers? Whats the story there? If its true then that is an actual issue as opposed to the "rudeness" complaints. If SWFA is truly stealing from customers then thats something people on this forum would care about, so please share.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/17/16 02:20 AM

I get that some like Skylar, use him, and he treats them well.

The fact that others were either not aware of that or simply don't feel they should be limited to dealing with one particular person in the whole company does not mean they are lacking in common sense. IMO.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/18/16 01:22 PM

I placed an order over the phone because it was a trade in. The representative put the wrong address on the order. The scope was shipped to the wrong place and they "tried to call" the person for weeks. They refused to ship me what I paid for because than they would be out a scope.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/18/16 01:40 PM

I placed an order over the phone because it was a trade in. The representative put the wrong address on the order. The scope was shipped to the wrong place and they "tried to call" the person for weeks. They refused to ship me what I paid for because than they would be out a scope.

And so to this day, they still haven't shipped a scope to you or refunded your money? Did you receive an order confirmation with shipping address? Did you receive tracking info? Was it insured?

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/18/16 01:52 PM

It was insured but they didn't submit a claim because it was not damaged or stolen. It was delivered properly.

I received shipping number the night it was ordered. But by time I looked at it, the scope was delivered.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/18/16 02:25 PM

It was insured but they didn't submit a claim because it was not damaged or stolen. It was delivered properly.

I received shipping number the night it was ordered. But by time I looked at it, the scope was delivered.

And so they still haven't sent you a scope or refunded your money?

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/18/16 02:32 PM

They didn't for a week in a half I think. They stated they were going to keep trying to call them.

I had to take time off work and drive to get it.

They refused to do anything for me. They didn't even apologies.

I spent 10+ hours on the phone alone

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/18/16 02:48 PM

They didn't for a week in a half I think. They stated they were going to keep trying to call them.

So if I'm hearing this correct. You placed an order on the phone, SWFA got the shipping address wrong, scope was delivered to the wrong address, you informed them it was sent to wrong address, they attempted to contact someone at the shipping address for 1.5 weeks, you spent 10+ hrs on the phone with SFWA trying to resolve, ultimately you drove to the store and they either provided a scope or refund? Sorry, it was piece mailed so trying to understand the situation so others can benefit in the future and learn from your experience.

I went back and looked at my SWFA orders and it looks like my website receipts and phone receipts are different. I don't see shipping address on my phone receipts. Had I been in that situation I would have reached out to Skylar or anyone associated with SWFA besides the counter guys to avoid a 1.5 week delay and having to drive up to the store. I see several folks on LinkedIn associated with SWFA that I would have escalated to, including the owner.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/18/16 03:05 PM

Tried talking to skylar. Was told I couldn't talk to him.

Was talking to the "customer service" manager, thought she might care, but I was wrong

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/18/16 03:10 PM

No I drove to the wrong address the shipped it to.

I was told in no uncertain terms that they would not give me a scope because they would be out a scope. I asked so it's okay for the customer to be out but not you the saler. The sales manager reply was yes. At that point I new that would only "try to call" the place.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/18/16 04:12 PM

To be honest, I'm not really sure what I would expect in that situation. It seems like a pretty unique situation and I can kind of see SWFA's hesitancy to immediately send another scope. Honestly, I don't know that any other retailer would have done that either.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/18/16 04:32 PM

If a company messes up they need to make it right. Period

If I gave them the wrong address than its on me.

If your employer sent your paycheck to the wrong person, do they need to make it right or you?

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/18/16 05:14 PM

If your employer sent your paycheck to the wrong person, do they need to make it right or you?

Not quite the same situation. If my employer sent my paycheck to someone else they could simply issue another check because:
1) someone else can't cash or deposit my paycheck
2) employer has the ability to see if the paycheck has been cashed/deposited

A piece of advice. ALWAYS have order takers repeat your order, address, and payment information. I ALWAYS do that when ordering over the phone because I don't want to get into situations like yours. I generally prefer placing orders online to avoid human mistakes.

SWFA could probably have handled that more gracefully but I don't fault them for not bending over backwards to get another scope out to you. If I was the SWFA manager I would have simply refunded and worked on recovering the product separately.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/18/16 05:41 PM

How would SWFA know for sure which one happened?

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/18/16 06:21 PM

So if I'm hearing this correct. You placed an order on the phone, SWFA got the shipping address wrong, scope was delivered to the wrong address, you informed them it was sent to wrong address, they attempted to contact someone at the shipping address for 1.5 weeks, you spent 10+ hrs on the phone with SFWA trying to resolve, ultimately you drove to the store and they either provided a scope or refund? Sorry, it was piece mailed so trying to understand the situation so others can benefit in the future and learn from your experience.

I went back and looked at my SWFA orders and it looks like my website receipts and phone receipts are different. I don't see shipping address on my phone receipts. Had I been in that situation I would have reached out to Skylar or anyone associated with SWFA besides the counter guys to avoid a 1.5 week delay and having to drive up to the store. I see several folks on LinkedIn associated with SWFA that I would have escalated to, including the owner.

Lol! You must be a homer! Are you employed by them? Must be...

If I had had Clerics experience I'd never do business with them again! Bad bad CS!!!!!! Frankly they sucked on this one...and based on what I'm reading here it explains a lot about why their employees behave so poorly....they are just reflecting ownerships attitude.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/18/16 06:37 PM

They admitted it

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/18/16 06:48 PM

Not quite the same situation. If my employer sent my paycheck to someone else they could simply issue another check because:
1) someone else can't cash or deposit my paycheck
2) employer has the ability to see if the paycheck has been cashed/deposited

A piece of advice. ALWAYS have order takers repeat your order, address, and payment information. I ALWAYS do that when ordering over the phone because I don't want to get into situations like yours. I generally prefer placing orders online to avoid human mistakes.

SWFA could probably have handled that more gracefully but I don't fault them for not bending over backwards to get another scope out to you. If I was the SWFA manager I would have simply refunded and worked on recovering the product separately.

Your argument the paycheck is different because they have more control is not relevant.

The refused to refund or send me a scope.

What is the difference between refund and new scope?

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/18/16 08:25 PM

If I had had Clerics experience I'd never do business with them again! Bad bad CS!!!!!! Frankly they sucked on this one...and based on what I'm reading here it explains a lot about why their employees behave so poorly....they are just reflecting ownerships attitude.

I have zero affiliation with SWFA. I just dislike when people are quick to bash retailers online via public forums and social media without telling the full story. Claiming a company "stole" from you is bold and would be grounds for alot of folks to stop doing business with SWFA, including myself. But after hearing the full story....I'll continue to do business with SWFA.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/18/16 08:34 PM

Took my money and refused to give me a product

Theft...

Good luck...
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/18/16 09:15 PM

Theft...

Good luck...

Not sure how it reads any other way. That's why I use AMEX whenever I can. I've had a couple of problems like that, and AMEX always backed me and I either ended up with the product or a refund.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/18/16 09:17 PM

Theft...

Good luck...

You never received the product?

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/18/16 10:56 PM

I have zero affiliation with SWFA. I just dislike when people are quick to bash retailers online via public forums and social media without telling the full story. Claiming a company "stole" from you is bold and would be grounds for alot of folks to stop doing business with SWFA, including myself. But after hearing the full story....I'll continue to do business with SWFA.

Quick to bash...are you serious? Have you not been reading this thread or what? I certainly wasn't quick to bash! I have done business with them for years! And as I said earlier...I've been to their new location MANY times!!! At least a dozen! And there service on a scale of 1-10 has been a 2. I don't think anyone on here has been quick to bash them, they've just been honest. I honestly hoped this post would wake them up and let them know they've got a problem but based on what I've read it won't help. I used to love doing business with them but no more. Frankly I used to defend them..at least sharing the good I had experienced...but I never attacked anyone else that had a bad experience.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/19/16 01:31 AM

They admitted it
They apologized for the miscommunication? Or they admitted that they made a typo or what? Did they go back and listen to a recorded copy of the call? I don't understand how else they would've known.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/19/16 02:35 AM

Based on how the order was processed they could tell, because they sent it to an old address

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/19/16 02:48 AM

Man, your story has all kinds of twists and turns. Honestly its hard to keep the details straight.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/19/16 03:14 AM

Based on how the order was processed they could tell, because they sent it to an old address
I'm sorry you had a bad experience. Sounds like they ultimately made it right, but it was a pain getting there.

Like I said, I've shopped there several times and had great customer service. Not sure how opinions can be so extreme on both ends.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/19/16 03:03 PM

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. Sounds like they ultimately made it right, but it was a pain getting there.

Like I said, I've shopped there several times and had great customer service. Not sure how opinions can be so extreme on both ends.

No they never made it right. I had to make it right. I had to take hours out of my life to fix there mistake.

They refused to even apologize even though they admitted it was there fault

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/19/16 06:38 PM

No they never made it right. I had to make it right. I had to take hours out of my life to fix there mistake.

They refused to even apologize even though they admitted it was there fault
How did you make it right?

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/19/16 07:14 PM

Man, your story has all kinds of twists and turns. Honestly its hard to keep the details straight.

You are hilarious! The story never changed. The only thing that happened was I elaborated about my overall experience with them because you stated that the complaints were because of one bad experience. And honestly I doubt you know what honestly is about. The idea that you basically are calling people liars in this thread is ridiculous! There are enough people in this thread that have had poor experiences with this company that they simply can't all be untrue.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/19/16 07:19 PM

Folks, I get that some of you have had great experiences with SWFA but for you to attack and/ or give some of us the third degree who've had bad experiences is ridiculous! Why do you guys have to make it personal? Why can't you simply counter with your experiences and just let things go at that? It makes me wonder if you are on the payroll? Related? Etc.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/19/16 08:21 PM

For the record, I told my law partner about SWFA and their new store. He had never heard of them. That was about 3-4 months ago. He is currently on a huge tactical/LR rifle and accessories kick. Money is no object to him. My guess would be he has spent anywhere from $20,000-50,000 in there since I told him about them. I'm guessing that's just a start. He seems very happy with them. I'm certain they are very happy with him. smile

Just sharing that to show I don't have it "in" for SWFA for any reason.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/19/16 10:12 PM

You are hilarious! The story never changed. The only thing that happened was I elaborated about my overall experience with them because you stated that the complaints were because of one bad experience. And honestly I doubt you know what honestly is about. The idea that you basically are calling people liars in this thread is ridiculous! There are enough people in this thread that have had poor experiences with this company that they simply can't all be untrue.

You need to read through the thread and then read again. I was referring to Cleric's story. Between myself and Patriot, it took several piece mailed posts to understand what his situation was and the full story. Each post had a new important and relevant piece of info. To claim theft is very bold and if true would be grounds for me to cut ties with a business. After the full story came out....nnnnnnooooottttttt exactly theft.

Please show me where I have called anyone a liar in this thread. I've simply asked questions and have made suggestions like everyone else. I don't doubt you had a bad experience. If I thought you were a liar, I would call you a liar.

For the record, I count 7 people in this thread that mention a bad experience with SWFA and 9 people that have had good experiences. Almost all 9 of us have suggested how to do business with SWFA. If you don't like it and you're not willing to contact SWFA to voice your disdain, then feel free to shop elsewhere. Nobody is out to get you or argue that you didn't have a bad experience.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/20/16 01:36 AM

So now that i am out a keyboard i will type the whole story in one long post...

I knew a sale was coming up so called and asked if i should mail the scope in now or wait till the order? They said mail it in now.
So i mailed it the scope and called to place the order when the sale started. The order was placed on "hold" because they hadn't processed my scope. When i asked why it hadn't been process in the 5 days since it was delivered; it was magically found at that moment and processed immediately.
I got a sales order and tracking number at night. But the details hadn't been loaded to UPS (only data received)
I got another notice of delivery in the morning. I couldn't find the scope when I get home. When the UPS data was updated i noticed the wrong zip code.
I called and talked to someone (as i didn't know skylar was the only way to get decent service). They transferred me to the manager. The rep created an order off an old order and only updated my billing information. They admitted that it was there issue. i asked to send me a new scope, they refused and said they would try and call the address and get back to me the next day.
They didn't call me the next day so i called back on the second day, to give them a full day to call me.
They said the left a message. I asked again about sending me a new scope, to which the refused. I said i was considering disputing the charge as they were not living up the agreement. They stated they would not return my scope that i had traded in as they had already sold it.They asked for another day or so, and said they would call me back.
The third day i received no information and therefor called again. Same story, we have left a message and will not do anything for you. Mind you they have had my scope for almost 3 weeks and my money for a week.
At that point they informed they were just going to try and get ahold of someone at the other address to maybe try and return the scope to them and then and only then would they ship me my scope. I asked to speak to the owner, but they refused.
At that point i had to drive across town to wrong address to pick up my scope, as they have given me no other option. For that much hassle i should have gone down and got it from the store.

They stole my time, they tried to steal my money and scope, they are shady as hell. They are not the great company that many people make them out to be on the forums. They only reason they have that reputation is because of skylar. Skylar seem likes a good guy for those privilege enough to talk to him. I tried to get his help on this situation, but the person refused to transfer me unless Skylar could tell the other rep what i was going to talk to him about. I should not have to talk to one person or know how to do business with a company to get good service. I have talked to multiple people at camera land and all have been nice and offer great customer service.

I don't expect perfection, but i expect companies to fix their mistake. Once earlier in my life i worked for a small business and made a similar mistake. I sent a high dollar item to the wrong address. The customer called to inquire about the product, i looked at ups and realized my mistake. I immediatly sent another item out to the customer, with many apologies. I than spent the time to recover the store product. Thats all SWFA had to do. Instead the refused to apologize than effectively forced me to go get it. To top it all off they did nothing to compensate me.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/20/16 01:51 AM

Cleric,

I'd be upset as well. They did a halfa$$ed job all around.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/20/16 02:56 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Cleric,

I'd be upset as well. They did a halfa$$ed job all around.
Agreed, and yeah it makes more sense now. That's a sucky situation. Sorry you had to type it all again. It was tough to understand with pieces of the story in half a dozen different posts (or I'm just not the brightest crayon in the box).

Regardless, I guess the reason I kept questioning it was because my service had been so good that it was tough for me to believe he could be treated like that, but I guess even the best get it wrong sometimes and I certainly wouldn't fault you for taking your money elsewhere from now on.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/20/16 01:10 PM

So now that i am out a keyboard i will type the whole story in one long post...

I knew a sale was coming up so called and asked if i should mail the scope in now or wait till the order? They said mail it in now.
So i mailed it the scope and called to place the order when the sale started. The order was placed on "hold" because they hadn't processed my scope. When i asked why it hadn't been process in the 5 days since it was delivered; it was magically found at that moment and processed immediately.
I got a sales order and tracking number at night. But the details hadn't been loaded to UPS (only data received)
I got another notice of delivery in the morning. I couldn't find the scope when I get home. When the UPS data was updated i noticed the wrong zip code.
I called and talked to someone (as i didn't know skylar was the only way to get decent service). They transferred me to the manager. The rep created an order off an old order and only updated my billing information. They admitted that it was there issue. i asked to send me a new scope, they refused and said they would try and call the address and get back to me the next day.
They didn't call me the next day so i called back on the second day, to give them a full day to call me.
They said the left a message. I asked again about sending me a new scope, to which the refused. I said i was considering disputing the charge as they were not living up the agreement. They stated they would not return my scope that i had traded in as they had already sold it.They asked for another day or so, and said they would call me back.
The third day i received no information and therefor called again. Same story, we have left a message and will not do anything for you. Mind you they have had my scope for almost 3 weeks and my money for a week.
At that point they informed they were just going to try and get ahold of someone at the other address to maybe try and return the scope to them and then and only then would they ship me my scope. I asked to speak to the owner, but they refused.
At that point i had to drive across town to wrong address to pick up my scope, as they have given me no other option. For that much hassle i should have gone down and got it from the store.

They stole my time, they tried to steal my money and scope, they are shady as hell. They are not the great company that many people make them out to be on the forums. They only reason they have that reputation is because of skylar. Skylar seem likes a good guy for those privilege enough to talk to him. I tried to get his help on this situation, but the person refused to transfer me unless Skylar could tell the other rep what i was going to talk to him about. I should not have to talk to one person or know how to do business with a company to get good service. I have talked to multiple people at camera land and all have been nice and offer great customer service.

I don't expect perfection, but i expect companies to fix their mistake. Once earlier in my life i worked for a small business and made a similar mistake. I sent a high dollar item to the wrong address. The customer called to inquire about the product, i looked at ups and realized my mistake. I immediatly sent another item out to the customer, with many apologies. I than spent the time to recover the store product. Thats all SWFA had to do. Instead the refused to apologize than effectively forced me to go get it. To top it all off they did nothing to compensate me.

Wow. In my mind they still owe you money for your time. I would of been some kind of pissed off over this one. I value my time. Once it's gone it's never coming back. Like you, I would be done with them.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/22/16 02:33 PM

In my mind, the key point is that they knew there was a mistake and that the mistake was their own, but seemed unwilling to do whatever it would have taken to rectify the situation. NOT acceptable, and especially when there are so many merchants out there who want you business badly enough to go much, much further to keep it. My confidence in the outfit is severely shaken.

Re: What has happened to SWFA? - 05/22/16 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
In my mind, the key point is that they knew there was a mistake and that the mistake was their own, but seemed unwilling to do whatever it would have taken to rectify the situation. NOT acceptable, and especially when there are so many merchants out there who want you business badly enough to go much, much further to keep it. My confidence in the outfit is severely shaken.

^^^^^^^^^
THIS!

Based on MY experience they have become extremely arrogant! I realize they have a couple of outstanding employees and because of them they still get quite a bit of business from folks on THF but eventually, if things don't change, they will feel the pain of their arrogance. I wish they would get an attitude adjustment so I could do business with them but unless they do they've lost my business.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum