Texas Hunting Forum

Orientation of front scope mount???

Posted By: pharmvet

Orientation of front scope mount??? - 12/01/15 04:29 AM

Both of these Remington Model Sevens have Talley lightweight one piece ring/base mounts. If you will notice the front mount is oriented differently on the two guns. Which position do you feel is proper?

1) top gun
2) bottom gun

Thank you for your input.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Orientation of front scope mount??? - 12/01/15 04:50 AM

Depends on the scope being used. They are interchangeable due to each scope having a different length between the bells and knobs....will also depend on eye relief of each individual scope.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Orientation of front scope mount??? - 12/01/15 04:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
Depends on the scope being used. They are interchangeable due to each scope having a different length between the bells and knobs....will also depend on eye relief of each individual scope.

This!
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Orientation of front scope mount??? - 12/01/15 05:05 AM

Originally Posted By: BigPig

This!
Same thing I was going to say but not as specific haha.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Orientation of front scope mount??? - 12/01/15 02:27 PM

^^ Exactly. Also make sure you use the correct length screw on the base. I think Talley uses a long and short screw on each base.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Orientation of front scope mount??? - 12/01/15 03:14 PM

Screw length and use of loctite is to be considered here. Too much of either and you got a real mess.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Orientation of front scope mount??? - 12/01/15 07:44 PM

Yup.

Also, I might add, I want the rings as far apart as possible after getting the proper eye relief. So if the eye relief on the top scope is correct, that is the configuration I prefer. A wider stance means more stable under recoil and handling.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum