Texas Hunting Forum

Any IR Defense Patrol owners out there?

Posted By: ccreyeder

Any IR Defense Patrol owners out there? - 10/07/15 06:09 PM

Well, after months of waiting, my IR Defense Patrol M300W finally arrived! banana

However, it is not working out for my situation as I had hoped. frown

Here was my plan... I have a 6.8 SPR AR with a Vortex 1-4 day scope mounted on top. The plan was to use the Patrol as a hand held monocular, to locate hogs, coyotes, etc and then using the Wilcox mount, be able to quickly clip in front of the Vortex to use as a thermal sight, but I am running into issues.

Let me say that the image quality as a monocular is phenomenal! However, when I clip it in front of my 1-4 Vortex, (first of all I have to go through the menus to switch the Patrol to "clip-on mode" then, when I change the magnification on the Vortex to anywhere from 2-4x, the image is very blurry. I've tried focusing both the front objective focus ring and the rear ocular focus ring on the Patrol as well as the ocular focus ring on the Vortex, but nothing clears the image up enough to where I would feel comfortable taking a shot. Plus, it takes so much time, it appears that my initial plan isnt going to be feasible for fast moving targets.

I suppose I could just put the day scope in a QD mount, remove it and then use the Patrol as a dedicated thermal sight (the M300W does have a "reticle mode") and still use the Wilcox QD mount to take it off and use as a monocular, then back on when it comes time to shoot. Any issues I need to be aware of if I go this route? Like holding Zero, etc. I suppose this "Plan B" is workable, but kind of defeats the purpose of a clip on system, I could have just gone with a dedicated thermal sight to begin with and gotten a better "scope".

"Plan C" would be to return the Patrol and go back to the drawing board. Sigh.. I thought I had the perfect idea, but I am having trouble implementing it...

Any thoughts, ideas, etc? From what I read, it SHOULD work as my initial plan envisioned, but unless I am doing something wrong, I dont see it happening... confused2
Posted By: TX Grubby

Re: Any IR Defense Patrol owners out there? - 10/22/15 01:47 PM

Ccreyeder, I had thought of picking one up and doing the exact same thing as you. Hopefully someone out there will be able to give you some input. Have you tried to contact the TNVC folks or one of the other reputable Night Hunting outfits?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum