Texas Hunting Forum

Fixed power scopes

Posted By: wp75169

Fixed power scopes - 09/07/15 04:39 AM

I'm going to put a fixed power on the muzzle loader and have been looking at the leupold FXII 4x33. Leupold has always been my go to for hunting optics. Since I am not familiar with fixed powerf scopes can anyone advise me on this. Is there a better option in the $300 range?
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Fixed power scopes - 09/08/15 03:14 AM

Wound up buying a FX-II 4x33 and a 6x33.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Fixed power scopes - 09/08/15 03:45 AM

4X should work well.

I like a large field of view for hunting, even on the variables they stay on the lower power almost all the time.
Posted By: 505ed

Re: Fixed power scopes - 09/08/15 03:56 AM

Not at all...for that money great option...if you can find a 4x Diatal Zeiss...maybe a bit better, I found one about a year ago at Dons guns in Victoria for $375...if you look around you can find them from time to time...good clear optics. Talking about a fixed power takes me back to my Dads "big gun", a Winchester 70 300 H&H, with a Lyman 4x Perma Center with a magnetic post...today in the days of dialing in, shooting prone, trying to get "a shot" at over 400, the ol fixed power is refreshing. I remember hunting a few times with my dad...he was an excellent shot...he would always say on a stalk..."I think we can get closer!" The 4x was plenty!

A couple shots of one of my ol Zeiss Diatal fixed, on my very old but well loved HK 300 22 mag...

Ed
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum