Texas Hunting Forum

Scope for medium range/coyote rifle

Posted By: JTPinTX

Scope for medium range/coyote rifle - 09/02/15 09:31 PM

I am looking for a new scope for my primary coyote calling rifle. It is a fast twist 220 Swift shooting a 75 AMAX. I call out in lots of wide open country where shots can get long. I also have to walk with it a bunch so I am trying to keep the weight down as much as I can. Coyote shots will probably be limited to a max of 500 yards or so, but I do like to shoot distance as well and I might play with it on steel out to 800 or so. So, criteria I am looking for:

MIL/MIL, needs to dial reliably for distance, and have a decent reticle for holding mid-range without dialing.
Prefer no more than about 30 oz or so.
At least 12x on top end, 15-18 would be better, but don't really need 20+.
FFP
Trying to stay under a grand on price, but might could swing up to $1200 or so.

I know, I am asking a lot, for not much money. Currently I have a SWFA 3-15x42 with MIL Quad reticle on a different rifle, and a second one like that would quite honestly work just fine. I am satisfied with it but want to consider all options. At $700, very reliable, and 24 oz it would be fairly hard to beat.

The Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12x44 at 24.5 oz and $900 looks like it could be a contender, but I have never used one or know anyone directly that has. What is the opinion on that one?

Besides those two what are my other options? SWFA 5-20x50 HD and Bushnell Elite Tactical 3.5-21 could be on the list but are really a few hundred more than I want to spend. I might could be talked into them though.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Scope for medium range/coyote rifle - 09/02/15 10:03 PM

Vortex PST 4-16 or 6-24 are both in your price range. I've also seen the 3.5-21 Bushnell for ~$900-1000 on Ebay every once in a while, and under $1200 quite a bit. Somebody sold an SWFA 5-20 for $900 a while back on the forum.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Scope for medium range/coyote rifle - 09/02/15 10:49 PM

If you wanted to go less the vortex 2.5-10 may be an option...

I just got a deal on a 3.5-21 bushy so have a 5-20 swfa listed...
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Scope for medium range/coyote rifle - 09/02/15 10:51 PM

Vortex Viper PST are the lowest price and the lowest weight. They have pretty darn good glass too.
Bushy Elites are solid scopes and track very reliably.
SS 5-20, and Bushnell ERS are built heavy duty, and their weight matches that.

I have one of each of these^^^.
Posted By: 6.5x47Lapua

Re: Scope for medium range/coyote rifle - 09/03/15 02:31 AM

Lrhs would be worth a look.

Re: Scope for medium range/coyote rifle - 09/03/15 12:42 PM

LRHS? I'm not familiar with that acronym. Which one is that?

The more I think about it though, what I may want to do is upgrade the glass on my Creedmoor to something like the 5-20 SWFA (or Bushy 3.5-21), and then just move the 3-15 I already have over to my coyote rifle. But I'm going to have to save up a few months to do that. I don't have enough cash right now. Otherwise I would be on your $1200 deal cleric.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Scope for medium range/coyote rifle - 09/03/15 01:08 PM

Try to find one of the SWFA options or the Elite Tactical 3.5-21 on the SWFA Sample List. Best value you're going to find IMHO.
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Scope for medium range/coyote rifle - 09/03/15 04:58 PM

I've been pretty happy with my Vortex Viper PST 4-16. I've shot out to 750 with it and spotted for a buddy out to 1000.

Re: Scope for medium range/coyote rifle - 09/03/15 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: JTPinTX
LRHS? I'm not familiar with that acronym. Which one is that?

The more I think about it though, what I may want to do is upgrade the glass on my Creedmoor to something like the 5-20 SWFA (or Bushy 3.5-21), and then just move the 3-15 I already have over to my coyote rifle. But I'm going to have to save up a few months to do that. I don't have enough cash right now. Otherwise I would be on your $1200 deal cleric.

Bushnell LRHS

Re: Scope for medium range/coyote rifle - 09/03/15 08:04 PM

OK, got it. Thought that was probably it.

By the way, I have a very good friend that shoots long range quite a bit down in Lubbock. Is it Lubbock Shooting Complex that has the 600 yard range? He is out there nearly every weekend. He shoots a 6.5x47 built by West Texas Ordinance quite a bit, but also has a 308 and and a 22LRV he shoots too. If you are out at that range any, I am sure you have seen him.
Posted By: westexhunt

Re: Scope for medium range/coyote rifle - 09/04/15 02:13 AM

Really pleased with the 3-12 bushnell elite ffp scopes. I have 3 and would buy more if Natchez would put them on for $440 again (I called and Natchez said they will not have more). I want a lrhs for my ultra mag now.

Re: Scope for medium range/coyote rifle - 09/04/15 02:34 AM

Originally Posted By: JTPinTX
OK, got it. Thought that was probably it.

By the way, I have a very good friend that shoots long range quite a bit down in Lubbock. Is it Lubbock Shooting Complex that has the 600 yard range? He is out there nearly every weekend. He shoots a 6.5x47 built by West Texas Ordinance quite a bit, but also has a 308 and and a 22LRV he shoots too. If you are out at that range any, I am sure you have seen him.

LSC does have a 600 yard range, I think they make you 'qualify' on the 200 yard range first. It's a pretty nice facility. 0-100, 200, and 600 yard rifle; rim fire; tactical; handgun, and skeet. I'll keep an eye out-I bet we'll meet after I finish my .308 build.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum