Texas Hunting Forum

Burrris PEPR scope mount

Posted By: jimgb

Burrris PEPR scope mount - 08/25/15 06:51 PM

Got a new leupold scope 3-9 x 40 mounted at cabelas using a burris pepr mount they had to shim the scope is this normal ? Was put on a Ruger ar 556 .
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Burrris PEPR scope mount - 08/25/15 07:33 PM

Did they put a 1" scope in a 30mm mount using inserts, or did they actually put a shim under the front or rear of the scope to level it? If the latter, I'd get a second opinion.

Re: Burrris PEPR scope mount - 08/25/15 07:49 PM

Shim in the rear to level it.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Burrris PEPR scope mount - 08/25/15 08:35 PM

Shouldn't need that with the PEPR mounts. Is it a clearance issue?

Re: Burrris PEPR scope mount - 08/25/15 09:03 PM

not clearance issue needed to bore sight the rifle they said.
Posted By: Night Hunting TV

Re: Burrris PEPR scope mount - 08/25/15 09:16 PM

I had to shim my 30mm photon xt, with the burris pepr. Was very frustrating when I ran out of adjustment.

Re: Burrris PEPR scope mount - 08/25/15 09:31 PM

I'd ask them to try a different scope or a different mount, or maybe even a different bore-sighter. What happens if you hit the max when you go to sight it in?
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Burrris PEPR scope mount - 08/25/15 09:33 PM

A normal rifle bore sighter won't work on an AR rifle. They make specific bore sighters for AR platforms. Sounds like they didn't do something right

Re: Burrris PEPR scope mount - 08/25/15 10:27 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
What happens if you hit the max when you go to sight it in?

You have to add a shim.

Re: Burrris PEPR scope mount - 08/26/15 01:18 PM

Originally Posted By: bornforit
What happens if you hit the max when you go to sight it in?

You have to add a shim.

They already shimmed it. My point was that with that scope and mount, it sounds like something wasn't done properly if you have to shim it from the get go because you're already out of adjustment just trying to bore sight it. I feel they either didn't know what they were doing or there is a problem with the mount, or lastly with the scope.

Re: Burrris PEPR scope mount - 08/26/15 01:53 PM

They already shimmed it. My point was that with that scope and mount, it sounds like something wasn't done properly if you have to shim it from the get go because you're already out of adjustment just trying to bore sight it. I feel they either didn't know what they were doing or there is a problem with the mount, or lastly with the scope.

Let me add more about my experiences with adding shims on my AR with the PEPR mount.

Depending on the scope it only has so much adjustment. My photon XT had to be shimmed, works off of a X/Y coordinate. only has 30+ and 30- for elevation. It sits higher on an AR and the scope doesn't have as much adjustment as say a normal 3x9-40. I was also told sometimes the rail on top of the AR isn't perfect and to check a couple different slots to see if it was get better. This would point to the rail on the AR having an issue. I moved mine around and it didn't help. Only thing I didn't do was flip the mount around to see if it corrected it the complete opposite. So if I was 4 inches high, I would be 4 inches low. That would point to the mount. I just added the shim and moved on with my day. Hope that answers some of your question as to why it was needed.

I don't know if it was the top of my AR or the mount. Maybe one of these days I will spend the time figuring it out.

Re: Burrris PEPR scope mount - 08/26/15 02:09 PM

and I agree something doesn't sound right.

Re: Burrris PEPR scope mount - 08/26/15 03:14 PM

You are correct, there could also be a problem with the rail.

Re: Burrris PEPR scope mount - 08/26/15 07:55 PM

thank you all for the help took the rifle back to cabelas got someone who new what they were doing remounted scope no shims.

Re: Burrris PEPR scope mount - 08/26/15 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: jimgb
thank you all for the help took the rifle back to cabelas got someone who new what they were doing remounted scope no shims.

good to here. Let us know how it shoots.....

Re: Burrris PEPR scope mount - 09/03/15 07:18 PM

Went to shoot it today frist round 4in low and four in right 2 round 2 low and 2 right third round right on the mark grouped about 1 in at 100 with hornady 75 grain match thank you all foe the help.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Burrris PEPR scope mount - 09/04/15 02:13 AM

A little off topic but is there any way to tell on a pepr mount if it is 1 in or 30mm? I have a couple and I can't remember what size one is and I don't see any markings on it.
Posted By: booradley

Re: Burrris PEPR scope mount - 09/05/15 07:34 AM

Get the top ring half and put it on a 1" or 30mm scope and you will know right away.
Posted By: Pootie

Re: Burrris PEPR scope mount - 09/06/15 06:27 PM

I too almost ran out of elevation adjustment with my Photon XT. Just made it at the end of adjustment.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum