Texas Hunting Forum

FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available

Posted By: SkyPup

FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/01/15 03:32 PM

Works wicked on my RS64-35mm!

Some of the improvements are:

The InstaAlert feature has been changed and is improved across the board as follows:

1. Reduce the sensitivity of I1 by 20-30%

2. Change I2 to the current I1

3. Change I3 to the current I2

4. Change I4 to the current I3

[url]http://www.flir.com/hunting-outdoor/display

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/01/15 06:06 PM

Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/01/15 10:20 PM

How far out can you pick up a coyote with that rig?

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/01/15 10:25 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Mine has the 640X512 core with a 35mm germanium lens, other versions will perform different than mine.

For taking the shot with this scope on my 556, 325 yards. For detecting the coyote twice that.

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/01/15 10:28 PM

Stay tuned for more downloadable updates coming down the pike for end users to self install themselves for improved performance and new features, including both PS and LS series hand scanners, in addition to the RS ThermoScopes. banana

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/02/15 12:06 AM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Here is a dead hog at 175 laser measured yards with that rig:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpH6W8RjyYo

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/03/15 08:24 PM

Works very nice on the 7mm Rem Mag too, but the hogs do not particularly care for it! rifle

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/03/15 08:39 PM

New reticule designs for the RS are not a problem and can be easily created for future upgrades.

First focal plane ranging reticules will require allot of math though for the step and continuous magnifications, so will take a longer time to perfect.

What kinds of reticules would you all like to see?
Posted By: HuntTXhogs

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/03/15 09:03 PM

Can they incorporate an update to help the focus?

Like a Digital focus control or sharpness enhancement.

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/03/15 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By: HuntTXhogs

The RS64-60 has a manual objective lens focus with a minimum of 15 feet to infinity, all the other RS series have minimum objective focus at 15 feet to infinity.

All of the RS scopes have the glass ocular diopter focus control for those without 20:20 corrected eyesight, although even those with 20:20 eyesight should adjust their diopter setting to that which is the clearest for them. There are other important vision skills besides 20:20 vision, including peripheral awareness, eye coordination, depth perception, focusing ability and color vision that contribute to your overall visual acuity.

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/03/15 09:57 PM

The RS ThermoSight update is super simple.

First off you need a PC and a USB to USB Mini cable to hook up your ThermoSight, your charging cable works for this.

Leave the ThermoSight OFF when plugging into computer.

Download the ThermoSight USER GUI zip file and unzip and follow the instruction in the Word Document file. Install the ThermoSight USER GUI onto your computer.

Also download the firmware update dfu. file and save it somewhere easy to get to.

The latest dfu. file contains the new updates as well as all previous updates put out prior to now.

Run the User GUI with your ThermoScope plugged ed in and turned off.

Once GUI is running, turn on your ThermoScope and allow the USB drivers to install 100%, this may take several minutes and is extremely important, DO NOT proceed until the new USB drivers have been completely installed onto your computer to allow communication with your RS scope.

After drivers are fully installed 3-4 minutes later, follow the instructions and install the new dfu. file using the GUI.

You can also change the automatic shutoff time.

It is baby-proof simple.

http://www.flir.com/hunting-outdoor/display/?id=53129

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/03/15 10:03 PM

Originally Posted By: SkyPup

The RS64-60 has a manual objective lens focus with a minimum of 15 feet to infinity, all the other RS series have minimum objective focus at 15 feet to infinity.

All of the RS scopes have the glass ocular diopter focus control for those without 20:20 corrected eyesight, although even those with 20:20 eyesight should adjust their diopter setting to that which is the clearest for them. There are other important vision skills besides 20:20 vision, including peripheral awareness, eye coordination, depth perception, focusing ability and color vision that contribute to your overall visual acuity.

The one with manual focus control wouldn't need the digital focus control or sharpness enhancement but the others that are fixed focus could use a little assist in that regard.

Isn't it just a matter of software integration with a firmware build like the IR Hunter MKII or MKI for that matter?

diopter makes the screen view as best as it can get to a viewers eye but bringing the image to focus from there on a fixed lens system takes tricks.

HTXH

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/03/15 10:08 PM

Hmmm, the IR MKI microbolometers are the exact same FLIR cores with different display drivers, but unfortunately does not take any of the new digital image enhancements that are provided for the FLIR RS series use in these latest updates.

There have been four major revisions of the TAU2 cores since last summer, the latest is the TAU 2.7.2 firmware/software upgrade which was released last summer to the high end thermal camera market but just now has been configured for the RS series ThermoSight thermal scopes. This is part of the normal evolution of this focal plane array thermoresister device and there will be more improvements to come as the microbolometer itself is more and more highly characterized.

Are you having problems installing the image enhancement update for the latest TAU 2.7.2 firmware in your RS, it really is super simple?

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/04/15 06:01 AM

Yeah I'm having a bit of trouble upgrading to FLIRs latest update being that I don't own the thermoresistor device.

Were the display drivers in the RS series made available to IRD for use in the MKi or did they decide they wanted to build their own (go a different direction)?

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/04/15 02:34 PM

Yeah I'm having a bit of trouble upgrading to FLIRs latest update being that I don't own the thermoresistor device.

Were the display drivers in the RS series made available to IRD for use in the MKi or did they decide they wanted to build their own (go a different direction)?

I figured you were having trouble upgrading your RS scope to the latest imaging enhancements since you were asking specifically about the RS image quality improvements and the latest upgrade totally changes all that from what it was before. To answer your question then, you will have to go on a hunt with an RS scope with the latest upgrade to find out.

The FLIR display drivers are proprietary to their specific device as are the MK1 display drivers, FLIR does not provide their proprietary software to FLIR Core Channel Partners, any second hand company using their cores will have to develop their own specific drivers for their own specific equipment construct.

There are no generic drivers and their are specific legal contracts and restraints regarding their use.

Have you contacted IR Defense to see if they are using the ATN Thor drivers as those are the people you would have to ask to answer you second question?

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/04/15 02:40 PM

The new upgraded image enhancements worked absolutely beautiful last night when we took down this big boar hog using them @ 125 yards! grin

It was a fantastic hunt and we did not get home until 3AM, four bald eagles are feasting on the offal this morning! cheers

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/04/15 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: SkyPup

I figured you were having trouble upgrading your RS scope to the latest imaging enhancements since you were asking specifically about the RS image quality improvements and the latest upgrade totally changes all that from what it was before. To answer your question then, you will have to go on a hunt with an RS scope with the latest upgrade to find out.

The FLIR display drivers are proprietary to their specific device as are the MK1 display drivers, FLIR does not provide their proprietary software to FLIR Core Channel Partners, any second hand company using their cores will have to develop their own specific drivers for their own specific equipment construct.

There are no generic drivers and their are specific legal contracts and restraints regarding their use.

Have you contacted IR Defense to see if they are using the ATN Thor drivers as those are the people you would have to ask to answer you second question?

I rented an RS scope so I'm aware how they perform and if the upgrade does nothing for the outline sharpness then it is good to know because your information thread served its purpose, it allowed me to make a decision to save additional money as opposed to renting again.

The driver information is good to know also as I learned how it works with regards to Flir cores and driver distribution.

Have a good day

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/04/15 04:48 PM

You'll just have to rent another RS Thermal scope to find out how great the four latest updates in image improvement are that you have not seen, at least now you now about them! wink

Then, when you purchase one for yourself, you can utilize the updates I linked to in this thread about the RS updates too! happy3

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/04/15 04:51 PM

The Good Friday Black Hog is being converted into Easter Ham! grin

HAPPY EASTER!

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/05/15 03:31 PM

BTW, the DFU file for updating the software/firmware using the GUI contains all of the updates released prior for the ThermoScope, including the most recent one.

The DFU file is located in the folder of the zip file that was downloaded to install the GUI software, that is the file you install onto your ThermoSight.
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/05/15 04:49 PM

SkyPup

I updated my Thermasight and I lost my menu now. No reticle or anything....you have any idea what is going on?

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/05/15 05:27 PM

You may need to reinstall the update.

Make absolutely sure that the USB drivers are fully installed before trying to use the GUI as you need that to first be able to communicate with your scope through the GUI.

Try reinstalling after the GUI has made communication with your scope.

Hope this helps.

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/05/15 05:38 PM

It is communicating fine. When I got done with it all, I lost the use of my menu. When it starts up, it doesn't even say FLIR at the beginning. I tried to fix too. I just cleaned the gui off my computer and going to try and reinstall it. Wish me luck.

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/05/15 05:42 PM

Good Luck!

Hope that it re-installs for you okay.

When you hook up the USB cable to the computer, make sure your scope is turned off.

After you get the GUI up and running, then turn on your scope and see if it reads the information from your scope, if it does, then you can proceed to re-install the update.

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/05/15 05:49 PM

The gui tool is not able to communicate with my computer while the scope is turned off. I have to turn it on for the update tool to recognize the scope. Is this normal? It is normal with all the rest of my electronics that hook up to my computer (tablet, phone and garmin).

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/05/15 05:56 PM

Yes, that is normal and how it works, it cannot communicate with your scope when it is turned off.

Be sure that your scope is turned OFF when first hooking it up to your computer, open the GUI and then turn ON your scope for communication across the USB to occur.

Is this the first update that you have ever installed on it?

If this is the first time you have update your scope, it takes a LONG TIME for the USB drivers to install into your computer to allow communication and recognition of your scope, like up to 3-4 minutes.

After the first time you update the scope, any future time is instant since the USB drivers have already been installed.

Hope this helps.

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/05/15 06:01 PM

It took a while for drivers to install. Maybe I messed up by not restarting before continuing. Just found out I needed a .net update too. In process of updating and will re intall gui. Any way of resetting to factory presets?

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/05/15 06:03 PM

Would like to reset it, to make updating easier

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/05/15 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Pittstate
Would like to reset it, to make updating easier

Not sure what you are referring to here.

It will update real quick once the USB drivers have been installed and all all future updates it will also work real fast.

ONLY on the first time you have ever updated the firmware/software on your RS scope will it take time for the USB drivers to fully install and commence communication with your instrument. Once that happens, it should be GTG.

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/05/15 06:16 PM

There is a GUI Instruction PDF file in the ZIP file folder that you downloaded, it has all the instructions in it.

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/05/15 06:17 PM

updated everything on my pc and then re-installed the gui. It will only let me re do the Tau Core Upgrade. When I try the Main SW upgrade it says it is already updated and won't let me redo. I did the Tau Core and still have the same issue.

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/05/15 06:23 PM

updated everything on my pc and then re-installed the gui. It will only let me re do the Tau Core Upgrade. When I try the Main SW upgrade it says it is already updated and won't let me redo. I did the Tau Core and still have the same issue.

You already have completed the upgrade then, everything must have installed the first time, so now you are totally GTG!

Now take it out and check it out in the woods.

Enjoy!

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/05/15 06:24 PM

I just renamed the upgrade name file and got it to re install, but still no menu. The the zoom buttons now change the color scheme(black, white, red hot) but doesn't show any display on screen....totally messes up

Re installing the second section now

This is not so easy a baby can do it.....

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/05/15 06:26 PM

Guess it did not install properly the first time due to the USB drivers not being properly installed.

Start over with scope OFF, connect to PC, open GUI, turn on scope, read information, and reinstall the update you downloaded.

I do not know what effect changing the name of the file has as I have never done that myself.

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/05/15 06:26 PM

just did the Tau Core update again...at least I can zoom with the buttons, but still no menu. Just an expensive hand held viewer right now!

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/05/15 06:31 PM

I have tried every combination of holding buttons down while turning on the unit to get it to reboot to factory settings with no luck.

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/05/15 06:32 PM

This is not so easy a baby can do it.....

The PDF file in the downloaded ZIP file contains all the information needed to update the RS scopes.

If this is the FIRST TIME that you ever have updated your RS scope, you need to WAIT unit the USB Drivers are completely installed, this can take up to 3-4 minutes. If you DO NOT WAIT, you will encounter problems due to lack of communication between the GUI and your scope.

Once you have waited for the USB drivers and they are installed, it works wonderfully.

Without the USB drivers installed you can erase your entire scope and will have to send it back to FLIR for them to re-intall the firmware at their factory.

The GUI PDF file has the correct instructional procedure with all this explained in it. It should be read first prior to upgrading your scope to follow the directions.

Not waiting for the USB drivers to load the first time you ever try to update any of your scopes is a major problem.

Once they are updated, there is no problem.

Hope this helps.

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/05/15 06:38 PM

I waited for the drivers to install. I followed the directions to a "T". The GUI stuck it to me!

No problem, I will contact them tomorrow and get a new scope over sent over night....I have a hunt in Oklahoma that I will be leaving on Friday. Their customer service is second to none.

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/05/15 06:42 PM

Sorry to hear about the hassle, definitely contact CS and have them take care of it for ya.

I've only heard of one other instance of the upgrade not working and it was due to the USB drivers not being installed completely.

But that older version of MicroSoft's Network program may have been keeping it from communicating properly too....

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/06/15 12:00 AM

The upgrade to the new firmware for the TAU 2.7.2 core really is simply amazing, turned my RS Scopes into looking like my Flir GS T-70s, for way less than half the price too! rifle
Posted By: rborn

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/06/15 02:18 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the update. Just updated my RS32, no issues at all and all menu functions work fine.

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 04/06/15 02:32 AM

With the 3 User Presets and that NICE LaRue mount, you can save the reticule zero settings for three different rifles and switchero between them with ease!
Posted By: Kid Quid

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 07/27/19 05:36 PM

Just picked up RS64 from Optics Planet, looks like it has a firmware issue. All the links to the GUI and latest firmware are dead, anyone have it to share?
Posted By: Outdoor Legacy

Re: FLIR RS ThermoScope Update Available - 07/29/19 04:58 PM

You're best bet is going to be to call FLIR and not hold your breath on getting someone to send you the firmware link. It's one of those things that I know they still have but it's such a big company and getting the right person on the phone to help is going to be difficult. The RS64 is a very old scope in the realm of thermal optics and technology so this isn't going to be a cake walk getting someone at FLIR to help with a scope this old.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum