Texas Hunting Forum

Beating a Scope into Submission

Posted By: charlesb

Beating a Scope into Submission - 10/06/14 03:08 PM

Recently I came into possession of a BSA 'Catseye" 4-16x40 scope that came attached to a rifle I was buying, a Savage 25T in .223 Winchester.

The scope gave me fits.

Even though it had 1/4" clicks at 100 yards, I could get it to shoot either 1/2" to the left of the bull, or 1/2" to the right - but not on the bull itself. I did get good groups, though.

Then I took the gun home and cleaned it... When I returned to the range, the elevation was OK, but now it was shooting 3" to the opposite side of the bull from where it had been!

Scope mounts and rings checked out OK... I got to thinking, waving away the wood smoke that this generated and finally thought about tapping the scope next to the adjustment barrels with the butt of a plastic-handled screwdriver.

Next time out, I would give the scope a few good taps with the butt of the screwdriver handle after every adjustment, and it started behaving itself. Now it shoots directly into the center of the bullseye, and stays put between shooting sessions.

It just needed a little judicious, gentle tapping to start working well enough to get me by for the time being. It gets all of the internal parts settled into place so that it holds its adjustments.

I thought I'd mention this technique in case somebody has a misbehaving scope that they can't replace right away.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Beating a Scope into Submission - 10/06/14 03:53 PM

Love the story. Interesting that you spent the time to get it right. Course if you just bought a $1000 scope like most members suggest then you probably would not have learned anything like doing it yourself. Only be out $1000. Most members will be shocked that you found it worthwhile.
Posted By: Kbar Ag Service

Re: Beating a Scope into Submission - 10/06/14 04:37 PM

Back years ago, tapping your scope while sighting it in was common practice.
Optics have come along way but I still do it out of habit.
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Beating a Scope into Submission - 10/06/14 04:40 PM

So do I, even on the expensive scopes.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Beating a Scope into Submission - 10/06/14 04:57 PM

Originally Posted By: dawaba
So do I, even on the expensive scopes.

So do I.

Except on scopes that are supposed to track.. I don't tap on that one.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Beating a Scope into Submission - 10/06/14 05:08 PM

I've been in that habit for years, I even tap my Aimpoins and Eotechs, a lot of time it's with the ground when going from standing to prone. They hold their zero perfectly so it must help confused2
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Beating a Scope into Submission - 10/06/14 05:14 PM

We have a mess of old leupolds. If you adjust it to go say 4 inches to the right and don't tap on it, your first shot after the adj. it wont change point of impact second shot it will move a little and then in a few more shots it will move the rest of the way. Once zeroed ive had great luck with them, but you cant "dial" for elevation like some scopes.
Posted By: M Wilson

Re: Beating a Scope into Submission - 10/06/14 05:46 PM

tapping your optic to settle the internalshas always been step one after i adjust it
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Beating a Scope into Submission - 10/06/14 06:14 PM

hmm.... never heard this....
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Beating a Scope into Submission - 10/06/14 08:23 PM

First I ever heard of this was Peter Capstick talking about sighting in a .375 H&H for a client to take a leopard with. Read that book in the early 80s.
Posted By: Classic Rocks

Re: Beating a Scope into Submission - 10/06/14 08:58 PM

I do it on older scopes if adjusting out away (counter clockwise)from its previous position. Older reticles seem to stick sometimes. Not sure if they have some type of grease or if whatever spring mechanism holds tension on the reticle gets a little memory.
My old 4x Redfields are the worst.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Beating a Scope into Submission - 10/06/14 09:34 PM

I still do that out of habit, usually with the base of the shell I just fired.
Posted By: charlesb

Re: Beating a Scope into Submission - 10/06/14 09:46 PM

My wife's birthday is coming up soon, and she probably would not understand if I bought her a new scope for my rifle... Women are strange that way, but you've still got to love them.

On account of that, I'll have to wait for a couple of weeks before I can replace the BSA with something a little nicer. It will get me by until then, and then I guess my son and I will have fun taking it apart. - I wouldn't foist the thing off on some unsuspecting shooter.

Now I think I'm seeing why I got a good deal on the rifle... The previous owner probably blamed the gun when it was really just the scope having problems. The rifle shoots bug-holes, there's nothing wrong with it.

The new scope will have to wait though... She's wanting perfume, so I've been looking at the big bottles of Hoppes #9.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Beating a Scope into Submission - 10/06/14 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Slow Drifter
I still do that out of habit, usually with the base of the shell I just fired.

Been doing that same thing for years. cheers
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum