Texas Hunting Forum

Best set of compact binoculars for $100 or less

Posted By: Texas Dan

Best set of compact binoculars for $100 or less - 09/15/14 03:35 PM

Any suggestions?

I refuse to pay any more for something I'll probably lose before the season is over.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Best set of compact binoculars for $100 or less - 09/15/14 08:06 PM

Pick one, any one because they're all the same junk at that price point.
Posted By: Skylar Mac

Re: Best set of compact binoculars for $100 or less - 09/15/14 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman

I would have worded that differently, but it is an unfortunate truth. Anything less than $100 is simply not worth buying when you could just as easily use your riflescope to observe your various fields of view.

Re: Best set of compact binoculars for $100 or less - 09/15/14 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Skylar@SWFA
Originally Posted By: fouzman

I would have worded that differently, but it is an unfortunate truth. Anything less than $100 is simply not worth buying when you could just as easily use your riflescope to observe your various fields of view.

I will be using open sights and want something that will fit easily into a coat pocket.

I'm not looking for something with photo quality glass, but just something that will help a 55-year-old man confirm the details on antlers from 75 yards or less in normal light conditions.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Best set of compact binoculars for $100 or less - 09/15/14 11:19 PM

I have a Zeiss compact. I don't think it's much better than a Tasco. The problem is compact.

Re: Best set of compact binoculars for $100 or less - 09/16/14 12:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson
I have a Zeiss compact. I don't think it's much better than a Tasco. The problem is compact.

I agree after comparing an $80 set of Nikon compacts with a $200 Steiner set. I simply couldn't see the $120 difference.

Thanks again for all the feedback.
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Best set of compact binoculars for $100 or less - 09/16/14 12:23 AM

Leupold Yosemite. This fine little porro binocular can be found for $100, or less. For sure, stick with a porro over a roof prism for decent optics at your price point.

Re: Best set of compact binoculars for $100 or less - 09/16/14 01:02 AM

Originally Posted By: dawaba
Leupold Yosemite. This fine little porro binocular can be found for $100, or less. For sure, stick with a porro over a roof prism for decent optics at your price point.

I tried both the Leupold porro and settled on this set of Nikon roof prism simply because they were much easier to get a clear image and adjust.

Nikon
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum