Texas Hunting Forum

In Depth Tactical Riflescope Test

Posted By: P & Y

In Depth Tactical Riflescope Test - 09/09/14 12:07 AM

This is the most in depth optics test I have run across. There is TONS of good information here!

http://precisionrifleblog.com
Posted By: P & Y

Re: In Depth Tactical Riflescope Test - 09/10/14 01:00 AM

I am still sorting through all of the test and results. I am surprised at some of the low scores in certain areas on the higher end optics. Where have all you vocal vortex fans disappeared to?
Posted By: J.G.

Re: In Depth Tactical Riflescope Test - 09/10/14 01:44 AM

Vortex only lost points in reticle choices and lack of a Horus style reticle.

I have a Vortex, love it, and don't ever want a Horus style reticle, so the points cause no change of my opinion.

More importantly where are the Zeiss fans?
Posted By: DStroud

Re: In Depth Tactical Riflescope Test - 09/10/14 03:30 AM

That is really some kind of serious data collection. It seems to be very well documented and unbiased as anything I have seen.
While I am a Vortex fan to a degree only in the Razor line-up which is what he tested. While the razor only topped one category(Contrast)it tracked decent but was not very high in any other categories which surprised me.
Not as surprising as how poorly the Schmidt& Bender fared overall as I thought they were considered one of the best.
My Bushnell 3.5-21X50 Elite fared quite well beating out the Razor and the S&B in a lot of categories at a way better price point. The bang for the buck was not addressed but the Bushnell may have taken that going away.The biggest shocker was how badly the March scope did.
Zeiss fans can enjoy the fact they were tops in the Glass dept placing at the top or near in optical clarity and resolution.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: In Depth Tactical Riflescope Test - 09/10/14 03:32 AM

My big thing on the Razor is it is one of the older scopes on the list. There were a lot of relatively new scopes on the list.

On the whole I applaud the guy for his time and energy as he did a good job!
Posted By: dee

Re: In Depth Tactical Riflescope Test - 09/10/14 12:19 PM

I will say I am very surprised that the NF nxs ranked so high in the optical tests.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: In Depth Tactical Riflescope Test - 09/10/14 12:56 PM

I've seen posts about this test raving about it...people changing their minds on scope purchases etc because of it. Frankly this test in my opinion is flawed! The guy is not comparing apples to apples! The scopes he is comparing are different in so many ways! It is in my opinion invalid because of it! If he wants to do tests and be proclaimed an expert compare apples to apples...adjustments being equal, objective lens being equal etc...

Re: In Depth Tactical Riflescope Test - 09/10/14 01:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61
I've seen posts about this test raving about it...people changing their minds on scope purchases etc because of it. Frankly this test in my opinion is flawed! The guy is not comparing apples to apples! The scopes he is comparing are different in so many ways! It is in my opinion invalid because of it! If he wants to do tests and be proclaimed an expert compare apples to apples...adjustments being equal, objective lens being equal etc...

The test or comparison is of the scopes that are primarily used in the prs series. Adjustments should not matter one bit provided they are accurate. Glass is glass some manufacturer choose large objective where others don't. The main thing is these scopes are all in the $1600 plus zone so they should be comparable to a certain degree.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: In Depth Tactical Riflescope Test - 09/10/14 03:55 PM

Right on, dee.
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: In Depth Tactical Riflescope Test - 09/10/14 05:40 PM

I'm on a long range shooting facebook page that is run by a guy by the name of Bryce Wells. I don't know if he is a member here but he is in the process of testing a TON of scopes to find the best one out there. This same exact test was posted on his page a few days ago and he seemed to disagree with a lot of the results. I'll really be curious to see how his results compare to this test.

Re: In Depth Tactical Riflescope Test - 09/10/14 06:23 PM

Just curious but has he listed the parts he differs on? This seems to be a very in depth test or review although ultimately the results are only subjective to the sample being tested. That being said a few of the scopes in the test above were given second chances after a noticed defect.

Re: In Depth Tactical Riflescope Test - 09/12/14 11:51 AM

Originally Posted By: MacDaddy21
I'm on a long range shooting facebook page that is run by a guy by the name of Bryce Wells. I don't know if he is a member here but he is in the process of testing a TON of scopes to find the best one out there. This same exact test was posted on his page a few days ago and he seemed to disagree with a lot of the results. I'll really be curious to see how his results compare to this test.

All I have found is a little on his test and his complaint is stems off one picture. Also find it odd that he's in cahoots with Kelbys which is the only March dealer for the US. That being said I will check the review out as they are testing a few other scopes as well.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum