Texas Hunting Forum

Glass quality. Vari-x III vs VX-R

Posted By: wp75169

Glass quality. Vari-x III vs VX-R - 08/16/14 05:03 PM

I'm pulling my vari-x III 2.5-8x32 and going to a VX-R. I want the 1.25-4x20 but I am afraid I will lose low light quality. I can move up to the 2-7x33 VX-R but like the compact size of the 1.25-4.

Is the glass quality of the VX-R good enough to make up for the objective change to 20mm and still have equal or better light draw to the vari-x III?
Posted By: Txkiller

Re: Glass quality. Vari-x III vs VX-R - 08/16/14 08:59 PM

I have the VX-R Patrol 1.25-4x20 and believe it or not it does bring in a good amount of light but at night or very low light you can't compare it to the bigger objectives. I have it for sale but if it doesn't I don't have a problem keeping it. up

[Linked Image]

Hitting steel at 200 with ease, I let a few guys at the range shoot behind it and they all had positive things to say about good luck on your choice.

Excuse the chit chat grin

Posted By: wp75169

Re: Glass quality. Vari-x III vs VX-R - 08/17/14 02:17 AM

Thanks for the info and video. I was actually eyeballing yours in the classifieds but decided it was not right for my application but an excellent deal. Given your opinion on low light use I think I will go with the 2-7x33. This will be used for hunting in low light every time it's out. Thanks again.
Posted By: Txkiller

Re: Glass quality. Vari-x III vs VX-R - 08/17/14 02:35 AM

Not a problem I got my eyes on the vortex 2.5-10x32, perfect at night behind the thermal and good for reaching out during the day.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Glass quality. Vari-x III vs VX-R - 08/17/14 12:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Txkiller
Not a problem I got my eyes on the vortex 2.5-10x32, perfect at night behind the thermal and good for reaching out during the day.

I have one and its a nice scope if FFP works for you. As far as the OP's concern good glass trumps objective size to a degree. The older VariIII were not very good in low light.... dismal is the word that comes to mind. The newer Leupold's are better for sure.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum