Texas Hunting Forum

Thermal/ Night vision help

Posted By: HorizonFirearms

Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/07/14 04:19 AM

I need someone to teach me a bit here on Night vision and thermal. I have a customer we just build a custom 7.08 for that is planning on using it for nothing but hogs out to 800 yards. We were going to put a CDS scope on it from leupold then he asked me about using thermals and if there was a thermal scope with turrets that would work in day and night. or if there was an add on to a scope that would make it work as a thermal at night and then a normal scope in the day Teach me please. I have the gun side covered but all the new night time stuff is out of my expertise
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/07/14 04:50 AM

I've had this exact conversation with a few of my shooting buddies. One of them put a PVS 21 or 22 night vision that mounts after the scope with IR illumination. The rifle was his precision long range rig and scope could dial for elevation. The problem he had was that by the time you put the NV on it with IR illumination, his groups would open up a lot. The accuracy he had without the night vision was not there with the night vision. He still would take shots at hogs and yotes at long range at night. But he missed a lot. The PVS 14 (I think it was) that mounts between your eye and scope was even worse for accuracy.

My FLIR RS32 thermal scope is a digital image, so there's no turrets. It's all digital by settings inside the scope. I don't know how you could adjust the elevation with a thermal, and still get an accurate distance (like with a LRF) of what you are shooting at. My main complaint with my thermal is I have no concept of target depth. I can never tell how far away something is with it.

NV would be the way to go for longer range shooting at night. The PVS 22 with IR illum. mounted in front of a good scope and a precision rifle would be a good. Use the thermal for finding your targets.
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/07/14 05:34 AM

What chad said
Not thermal but night vision

Pvs22 or
Put an ATN PS28 gen 2 in front of his daytime scope
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/07/14 12:56 PM

Turrets or buttons, you can adjust the elevation on thermal scopes and most adjust at the pixel level and pixels are noted by the manufacturer as being X amount. For example, the Armasight Zeus 3x 640x480 is about .75" IIRC per pixel. Now, converting that to MOA without a cheat sheet would be beyond me in a time-sensitive situation. However, elevation can be adjusted accurately.

The IR Hunter has turrets to make such adjustments. They are still just electronic adjustments, but if the guy wants turrets, IR Defense put them on, in part, for this very reason. Plus, the IR Hunter has a ranging reticle as well.

As for judging distances, I don't know anybody that can just distances well enough by sight out to 800 yards sufficiently for making dope drop corrections and certainly not at night. Folks doing such either use rangefinders or use landmarks of known distances from the shooter to assess distance. As such, the inability to judge distance through thermal (and to a lesser extent through NV) goes beyond the simple lack of depth of field in the scope.

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/07/14 01:27 PM

Thanks guys let me make some clarification that may help. I am setting up the gun for the guy to shoot out to 800 off a bench on his porch. He was wanting a scope that could do day and night. From what I am hearing that is no not possible? Not trying to shoot hogs at 800 at night although would attempt it if the opportunity arose. I did not know if there was something that fixed to the scope bell that allowed you to use your normal scope but see at night. sounds like the adjustments are digital in these type of scopes and really only made for closer distances?

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/07/14 01:29 PM

Correction, looking like what Chad recommended is the way to go. Any good places to buy the PVS 22 with IR illum. or at least get pricing?
Posted By: HuntTXhogs

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/07/14 02:23 PM

HF -

The weapon you are putting together has a special purpose with regards to night capability.

I'd recommend contacting BearClaw or TNVC or another NV vendor to describe the project goals and best way to achieve them.

With their guidance and your handy work it ought to be a fine product in the end!

You'll certainly need a Clip on NV device in front of the day scope but how it will be mounted on a bolt rifle in perfect optical alignment to the day optic AND what the inherent accuracy loss would be at those distances is best left to the experts in NV to give you advice on.

There is a limit to magnification that you can achieve on the day optic looking through a clip on device as well, typically that is 6 - 8x magnification so from a capability standpoint, under perfect circumstances, is the gun's owner going to be up to task of repeatedly hitting a target at 800 yards at these magnifications?

Tough BUT fun project - stay safe
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/07/14 02:26 PM

Talk to Tyler...Bearclaw here on the forum.. He may have other options as well. www.ultimatenightvision.com

I don't know of any commercially available thermal scopes that would be proper for 800 yards. 5X native mag is the highest they go I think.

As for NV, you will need a strong illuminator to get out that far. The PVS 22 works best around 6-8X (depending on your glass and light)if that is good enough for you at 800 yards. With the right scope it will be "usable" up to around 12X. The type and quality of PVS 22 makes a difference also.

If you want more range, try a PVS 27...

I do think you'll have issues ranging...depth perception being among the issues...
Posted By: Bearclaw

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/07/14 07:13 PM

What's the 7.08 recoil compare to a .308? There is a new Night Optics Clip-On unit called the Krystal 950L with a 34mm ocular and its supposed to be good up to 25x. I have one with a Bushnell HDMR 34mm tubed 3.5x21 50mm arriving today to test that claim. It's got the same glass at the D-750(awesome)and an L-3 tube and is rated to a 3.08. 2 year warranty. Much more cost effective than a PVS-27. http://www.ultimatenightvision.com/Night-Optics-Krystal-950L-Clip-On-p/ns-9503gml.htm

As far as a thermal clip-on good to 800 yards? There is not a unit currently available to civilians that I would consider good at 800 yards...

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/08/14 02:48 AM

The NV does not have to be good to 800 doubt will be taking those shots at night.. I would like too smile. He has essentially a huge field that his house overlooks. In the mornings and evenings could make those shots easy. I am figuring at night would be 2-300 yards. But he wants to have something he can basically hook on to his day setup instead of spotlights so he does not need 3 hands to work all the equipment. 7.08 recoil is little tamer than 308 but pretty close.

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/08/14 10:44 PM

Hey Derrick -

Ran into this post today, similar question that you posed here so cross-posted for you Sir.

Pictures are part of the thread which demonstrate high magnification effect on image brightness.

http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers-hid...experience.html
Posted By: DAN-O

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/10/14 01:01 PM

Just run you 7 light poles out there! Lol Place them 100 yards apart and have a flip switch on the porch to control them. Now you have distance point of references and have enough light to shoot by! May have to put a feeder out there or some hog bait to get them to come to the lighted area, but worth a shot! Lol

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/10/14 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By: DAN-O
Just run you 7 light poles out there! Lol Place them 100 yards apart and have a flip switch on the porch to control them. Now you have distance point of references and have enough light to shoot by! May have to put a feeder out there or some hog bait to get them to come to the lighted area, but worth a shot! Lol

...You'd probably have drug runners land thinking that you've marked them a landing spot with 800 yards of light sticks out there.

Then you'd have an awkward situation on hand

lol35
Posted By: TNVC-Victor

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/12/14 04:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Bearclaw
What's the 7.08 recoil compare to a .308? There is a new Night Optics Clip-On unit called the Krystal 950L with a 34mm ocular and its supposed to be good up to 25x. I have one with a Bushnell HDMR 34mm tubed 3.5x21 50mm arriving today to test that claim. It's got the same glass at the D-750(awesome)and an L-3 tube and is rated to a 3.08. 2 year warranty. Much more cost effective than a PVS-27. http://www.ultimatenightvision.com/Night-Optics-Krystal-950L-Clip-On-p/ns-9503gml.htm

As far as a thermal clip-on good to 800 yards? There is not a unit currently available to civilians that I would consider good at 800 yards...

I would strongly disagree here, I would consider this scope not good, but great. http://tnvc.com/shop/l3-cnvd-t3/

To the OP, yes there is options for a thermal to reach out to 800 yards that is commercially available, but very expensive. I own this T3 listed here and use it with my S&B at 10x with no issues with a .338 Lapua and also had it on a .50BMG even though the .338 is the real optic killer.

Even though this thermal will detect a human at 2400 yards+, like with all thermal, it's great for detection but not pure ID. At 800 yards, you're not going to truly ID a small hog from a small calf, or bobcat from a Yote.

In regards to the AN/PVS-27 or CNVD/LR's, these also are very long range NV Clip-on units that need the highest end day scopes to achieve the best results. These units are truly used for positive ID and I have ID'd hogs out to 700 yards at 12x-15X (TRUE MAGNIFICATION RESOLUTION RANGES) with a LDI SPIR IR Illuminator.

My suggestion is to get yourself a high end hand held thermal device and use the long range NVD clip-on's on the shooting stick. True PID and long range shooting is done in this fashion.

We have some incredible pricing on both the CNVD/LR and the AN/PVS-27's as we are major distributors for both. Please feel free to give us a call, our entire staff is made up of Vets and former LE guys. We all train in the use of NV and education is our #1 goal.

http://tnvc.com/shop/muns-anpvs-27-magnum-universal-night-sight/
http://tnvc.com/shop/cnvd-lr/

Pic of the T3

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/12/14 04:46 PM

Originally Posted By: HuntTXhogs
HF -

The weapon you are putting together has a special purpose with regards to night capability.

I'd recommend contacting BearClaw or TNVC or another NV vendor to describe the project goals and best way to achieve them.

With their guidance and your handy work it ought to be a fine product in the end!

You'll certainly need a Clip on NV device in front of the day scope but how it will be mounted on a bolt rifle in perfect optical alignment to the day optic AND what the inherent accuracy loss would be at those distances is best left to the experts in NV to give you advice on.

There is a limit to magnification that you can achieve on the day optic looking through a clip on device as well, typically that is 6 - 8x magnification so from a capability standpoint, under perfect circumstances, is the gun's owner going to be up to task of repeatedly hitting a target at 800 yards at these magnifications?

Tough BUT fun project - stay safe

Thanks HuntTXhogs,

As mentioned in my about post, one particular thermal is up to the 800 yard task but PID is always the hard part with such small critters. This is why long range clip-on devices are true PID instruments with 2 of the systems I listed are good out to the 12-15x with a top end day scope.

Perfect optical alignment does not mean inherent collimation issues as any QUALITY clip-on devices take this into account and their optical light path is just about perfect. Any of the FLIR and L3 lines of clip-ons give these results... What you will see with a day scope mis-aligned with a clip-on is more image degradation. You want to keep the day optic as close as center to the clip-on, but I've used day scopes with a 1/2" deviation up/down/left right with no accuracy loss, just image degradation as I mentioned.

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/12/14 05:02 PM

Quote:
I would strongly disagree here, I would consider this scope not good, but great. http://tnvc.com/shop/l3-cnvd-t3/

Fine $26,000 scope, at least as far as $26,000 scopes go, LOL.

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/12/14 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
I've had this exact conversation with a few of my shooting buddies. One of them put a PVS 21 or 22 night vision that mounts after the scope with IR illumination. The rifle was his precision long range rig and scope could dial for elevation. The problem he had was that by the time you put the NV on it with IR illumination, his groups would open up a lot. The accuracy he had without the night vision was not there with the night vision. He still would take shots at hogs and yotes at long range at night. But he missed a lot. The PVS 14 (I think it was) that mounts between your eye and scope was even worse for accuracy.

My FLIR RS32 thermal scope is a digital image, so there's no turrets. It's all digital by settings inside the scope. I don't know how you could adjust the elevation with a thermal, and still get an accurate distance (like with a LRF) of what you are shooting at. My main complaint with my thermal is I have no concept of target depth. I can never tell how far away something is with it.

NV would be the way to go for longer range shooting at night. The PVS 22 with IR illum. mounted in front of a good scope and a precision rifle would be a good. Use the thermal for finding your targets.

Hi Chad,

The PVS-21 you mentioned is this rascal. http://tnvc.com/shop/anpvs-21-lpnvg/. Sometimes I wish I could have a clip-on with the clear FOV the 21 offers! smile

Vic

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/12/14 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Quote:

Fine $26,000 scope, at least as far as $26,000 scopes go, LOL.

Indeed fine.., the OP asked for LONG range options, nor did he give a price point, but the claim was "As far as a thermal clip-on good to 800 yards? There is not a unit currently available to civilians that I would consider good at 800 yards..." This one is available to civilians and beats down most others. smile We actually sell quite a number of CNVD/T3's T3's to serious long range Texas hunters every year. They also like the idea they do not have to pay Texas sales tax on a 26K scope. wink

Ones that currently are not available to civies but hope soon one day are that will give facial ID at 800 yards and further.
http://gs.flir.com/surveillance-products/thermosight/thermosight-hiss (This one will do facial ID at 1000 yards +)

...And this one very soon we hear will be available for civilians
http://flircms.com/uploadedFiles/GS/datasheets/SS_LTR_ADUNS.pdf This unit gives the TRUE best of both NV and thermal worlds. smile

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/12/14 07:41 PM

I know, but you seemed to have forgotten to mention the price. Just trying to help.

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/12/14 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: TNVC-Victor
Originally Posted By: Bearclaw

To the OP, yes there is options for a thermal to reach out to 800 yards that is commercially available, but very expensive. I own this T3 listed here and use it with my S&B at 10x with no issues with a .338 Lapua and also had it on a .50BMG even though the .338 is the real optic killer.

Even though this thermal will detect a human at 2400 yards+, like with all thermal, it's great for detection but not pure ID. At 800 yards, you're not going to truly ID a small hog from a small calf, or bobcat from a Yote.

In regards to the AN/PVS-27 or CNVD/LR's, these also are very long range NV Clip-on units that need the highest end day scopes to achieve the best results. These units are truly used for positive ID and I have ID'd hogs out to 700 yards at 12x-15X (TRUE MAGNIFICATION RESOLUTION RANGES) with a LDI SPIR IR Illuminator.

My suggestion is to get yourself a high end hand held thermal device and use the long range NVD clip-on's on the shooting stick. True PID and long range shooting is done in this fashion.

We have some incredible pricing on both the CNVD/LR and the AN/PVS-27's as we are major distributors for both. Please feel free to give us a call, our entire staff is made up of Vets and former LE guys. We all train in the use of NV and education is our #1 goal.

http://tnvc.com/shop/muns-anpvs-27-magnum-universal-night-sight/
http://tnvc.com/shop/cnvd-lr/

Pic of the T3

I don't call that good. I definately don't call that great.

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/12/14 10:18 PM

When you actually use and train with one (?)...you can call it what you like. If you have truly used and trained with a T3 you would not make a statement like you did... They're are MANY who use the T3 and call it the best long range unit out there period for it's purposes with the new T-75 a close 2nd. http://tnvc.com/shop/flir-t75-advanced-combat-thermal-sight-long-range/ Not many devices can get 10-12x with their day scope and thermal without much pixelation, not much at all. Our Military folks also call this a GREAT system for what it does and closest to a cooled array system, it's the best out there.

Not sure, but you do not even sell these two longest range thermal devices. We actually, test, own and train with every piece of high end NV we offer. That includes the T3 and T75 I just mentioned.

To the OP, feel free to contact us, we can educate you what really works for your long range requirements. We really use and train with all our gear.

Vic

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/12/14 11:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
I know, but you seemed to have forgotten to mention the price. Just trying to help.

We, (I) know what you meant... wink

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/12/14 11:09 PM

When you actually use one Tyler, you can call it what you like. They're are MANY who use the T3 and call it the best unit out there period.

To the OP, feel free to contact us, we can educate you what really works for your long range requirements.

Vic

When you actually use and train with one Tyler, you can call it what you like. If you have used and trained with a T3 you would not make a statement like you did... They're are MANY who use the T3 and call it the best long range unit out there period for it's purposes with the new T-75 a close 2nd. http://tnvc.com/shop/flir-t75-advanced-combat-thermal-sight-long-range/ Not many devices can get 10-12x with their day scope and thermal without much pixelation, not much at all. Our Military folks also call this a GREAT system for what it does and next to a cooled array system, it the best out there.

To the OP, feel free to contact us, we can educate you what really works for your long range requirements. We really use and train with this gear.

Vic

When you actually use and train with one (?)...you can call it what you like. If you have truly used and trained with a T3 you would not make a statement like you did... They're are MANY who use the T3 and call it the best long range unit out there period for it's purposes with the new T-75 a close 2nd. http://tnvc.com/shop/flir-t75-advanced-combat-thermal-sight-long-range/ Not many devices can get 10-12x with their day scope and thermal without much pixelation, not much at all. Our Military folks also call this a GREAT system for what it does and closest to a cooled array system, it's the best out there.

Not sure, but you do not even sell these two longest range thermal devices. We actually, test, own and train with every piece of high end NV we offer. That includes the T3 and T75 I just mentioned.

To the OP, feel free to contact us, we can educate you what really works for your long range requirements. We really use and train with all our gear.

Vic

I'll give you some more time to get your story straight...soap Keep at it and maybe you will get one right...

OP, I'm sorry your thread got hijacked. I'll just say I would go with an NV device over a thermal at this range. Even at well over 20K, a thermal would not do what you need at 800 yards IMHO. Hope that answered your original question. Take this to PM if I can be of any further assistance. Good luck.

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/12/14 11:27 PM

The story is straight and correct. You commented on something you have yet to use or not use? Have you used a T3 or a T-75? Do you know what the image looks like in these 2 units to give an opinion like you have? We have both systems and always have.

Edit to add, like above...One more thought, If you have used these devices, lets hear you're long range reviews of both. We can even start another thread and compare notes what these long range thermals produce I talked about.

Vic
Posted By: SkyPup

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/13/14 01:20 PM

I'll post some 800 yard 1/2 mile thermal video kills with the FLIR T-75 when I get a chance.

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/13/14 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: SkyPup
I'll post some 800 yard 1/2 mile thermal video kills with the FLIR T-75 when I get a chance.

Are you saying you already have video on file and will post up when you get time

OR

Are you saying that you are going to go into the field and for the sake of demonstration related to this thread you are going to capture an 800 yard killshot.

If the latter....

You may be the Babe Ruth of hog whackin! flehan

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/13/14 02:36 PM

I'll wack them with my handloaded 175 grain Sierra GameKings, if you'll stack them! cheers

Get ready for the thermal suspense, have patience, the wait will be worth it! clap

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/13/14 02:46 PM

I'll wack them with my handloaded 175 grain Sierra GameKings, if you'll stack them! cheers

Get ready for the thermal suspense, have patience, the wait will be worth it! clap

Obligatory pictures of the daytime setup banana

Now THIS should be good...

Goodluck
rifle

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/13/14 03:00 PM

One of my property corners has 4 straight miles of powerline grade 120 feet wide.

I will mow the weeds and dog fennels out there with the tractors and then mow down the hogs with the FLIR T-75 Thermal Weapon Scope Clip-On in front of my ELCAN 1.5-6X-42mm day scope on one of my numerous .308s and video record the entire event at night though numerous FLIR thermal video cameras for your viewong pleasure, including a nice FLIRONE on my IPhone too!clap

In fact, the ENTIRE kill will be thermal and thermal only, from the FLIRONE Iphone, to the FLIR M-324 Pan/Tilt, to the FLIR LS-64, to the FLIR M-18, to the FLIR PS-32R, to the FLIR T-75! aim

If you are lucky, I will also film it in complete Technicolor/Panavision for your viewing pleasure! bounce

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/13/14 03:14 PM

Goodluck
rifle

Here is what a little part of it looks like during the daytime:

Now, do you also want me to also include a certified check for what I paid for it?

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/13/14 03:30 PM

I will mow the weeds and dog fennels out there with the tractors and then mow down the hogs with the FLIR T-75 Thermal Weapon Scope Clip-On in front of my ELCAN 1.5-6X-42mm day scope

In fact, the ENTIRE kill will be thermal and thermal only, from the FLIRONE Iphone, to the FLIR M-324 Pan/Tilt, to the FLIR LS-64, to the FLIR M-18, to the FLIR PS-32R, to the FLIR T-75!

If you are lucky, I will also film it in complete Technicolor/Panavision for your viewing pleasure!

The budget for this production will far exceed that of most hunters however that won't diminish it's AWESOMENESS!

Post event, maybe the Mayor will come out to present an token of appreciation - queue the music, schedule a parade!

A trailer should be made to go along with the build-up to the event and of course the masses will clamor for a sequal up

Anyhow in anticipation of this takedown I have modified my sig in order to demonstrate my commitment to cheering you on.

cheers

HTXH

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/13/14 03:56 PM

haha, and I will carefully measure the actual kill distance shot with my Leopold laser range finder...
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/13/14 04:01 PM

This is cracking me up!

How far away are we from the OP question now? Or is this all still somehow related? I don't even know anymore roflmao

Seriously though, if you make a video of an 800 yard thermal kill shot, I WANT TO SEE THAT VIDEO!!

If you can do it this way rifle I can do it this way slinger or this way duel

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/13/14 04:09 PM

A trailer should be made to go along with the build-up to the event and of course the masses will clamor for a sequal up

cheers

HTXH

You meant to say "The sounders will clamor for a squeal..." : clap

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/13/14 04:09 PM

Goodluck
rifle

Almost as good as Tyler here at UNV telling the masses why the T3 is not a good thermal device and telling folks how TNVC, (well me) is telling stories and how I needed to get them straight about how we supposedly do not train in NV officially and that I somehow "changed my story" because I edited a post to add some facts? I like a good call out too, and I'll wait for his review of the T3 and T75 shortly, (but I my guess he never owned one, nor ever shot with one...Also want to hear how he officially trains in NV so we can all learn. I want to know his PID ranges on the T3 and T75, what he thinks of the algorithm's and software driving the T3 and what it does for Target Acquisition on a human being that may shoot back. This would be a good start. nidea

Heck, it's funny but we still travel (my WHOLE staff) I insure they take 2 training sessions a year from some of the best instructors out there all expenses paid. I can supply instructors names and course of instruction if need be to you for validation if needed. :-) We have no ego when it comes down to training, so please, if this is a real call-out I can send Benny here our resumes backed up with references of who what and where. ("Now THIS should be good...") smile

I get the T3 is 26K and the T75 is 16K, but for true long range engagements, nothing out performs these 2 clip-on devices in the commercial market.

Edit to add, Texas buckeye is correct this is off topic but look forward to any PM's.

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/13/14 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: HorizonFirearms
I need someone to teach me a bit here on Night vision and thermal. I have a customer we just build a custom 7.08 for that is planning on using it for nothing but hogs out to 800 yards. We were going to put a CDS scope on it from leupold then he asked me about using thermals and if there was a thermal scope with turrets that would work in day and night. or if there was an add on to a scope that would make it work as a thermal at night and then a normal scope in the day Teach me please. I have the gun side covered but all the new night time stuff is out of my expertise

Here is OPs original post, clearly defines his customer's mission objective as hog killing at 800 yards, next sentence with thermal at night.

Skypup says he will post a video of an 800 yard pig kill with thermal.

These two statements are near exact matches (relative), one guy saying I'd like to know IF it can be done and another saying I WILL show you it can be done.

What clouds the thread is the other back and forth - so please don't associate me to that, I'm not calling anybody out nor do I need proof of credentials (training or otherwise).

I was upfront at beginning of post that the OP could reachout to multiple vendors, it is sound policy to do that when the mission objective is a lofty one.

So with that said, I am still stoked at the privaledge of viewing a long range all thermal dispatch of a Swine target.

HTXH (Benny)

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/15/14 03:27 PM

I handloaded up some 64 grain mil-spec NATO tracers so you can watch them drill right into some long range hog brains in the thermal video. aim

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/15/14 03:28 PM

Maybe they will be hot enough to light up his skull with the FLIRONE when I walk up to his corpse? grin

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/15/14 04:55 PM

What range are you zeroed at?

What is MIL elevation adjustment at 800 yards for a 64 gr 556 tracer?

Also what do you figure energy is on target at that distance?

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/15/14 05:03 PM

What range are you zeroed at?

200 meters

What is MIL elevation adjustment at 800 yards for a 64 gr 556 tracer?

Exactly what the bullet-drop compensating reticule in my NATO mil-spec BDC scope shows

Also what do you figure energy is on target at that distance?

Enough to penetrate to the center of a hogs brain

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/15/14 07:36 PM

...Don't forget to press record

nidea

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/15/14 08:19 PM

Not accounting for the hand loading aspect, but a 64gr .223/5.56 round zeroed at 200 yds and shot to 800 yards would drop aprox 260 inches, that's well over 30 MOA....and even with as little as a 5mph wind to the side can account for a wind drift of close to 60 inches.

Not saying it isn't possible or anything... rifle aim

Edit, forgot to add the bullet energy at 800 yards is a measly 145lbs. Still possible to crack a skull with that though up

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/15/14 09:37 PM

It's a good thing the hogs I be killing are not mathematicians and never know what hit them! up

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/15/14 10:31 PM

cheers

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/16/14 07:41 PM

Flir T-75 is very very nice long range military thermal weapons scope indeed! grin

100mm germanium lens compared to the 35mm on the T-70s:

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/16/14 11:12 PM

up
Posted By: Txkiller

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/16/14 11:24 PM

Nice skypup and I'm digging that Elcan up

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/17/14 02:25 AM

I first mounted the T-75 on my 556 in front of my Truijicon TA02 LED 4x-32mm, it was real difficult to do eek

First I unclipped the LaRue mount on the T-70, clipped on the T-75 LaRue mount, and turned on the T-75 and fired a bullseye @ 100 yards ten seconds later! aim

I loaded up 50 tracers to try out filming the trajectory of the bullet flight using the T-75:

These are the military red top tracers bullets:

Tried it out tonight, it is incredible to say the least, very long range thermal instrument.

I filmed a thermal view of a large hog on a powerline grade out back of the house @ 500 yards, tried to stalk him but he disappeared into the brush before I could get setup to get a shot as I did not have my tripod or shooting stick with me tonite. Will work on the video later on...

Did I say this thing KICKS SOME SERIOUS ARSE in the dark? eek2

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/17/14 02:52 AM

Using the 4X ACOG TA02LED-32mm, it has a little bit less than 1/2 the FOV of my T-70, which is disturbing when first observing this, but I am getting used to it.

Obviously this beast is designed for accurate long range shooting and anything under 200 yards will be difficult to zero-in on when first trying to pick it up after seeing it with my LS-64 first.

I will try it in front of my ELCANs soon, that should work even better as I can quickly switch from 1.5X to 6X in an instant for a much larger FOV.

Here is a nice FLIRONE pic of the UTV, you can see the FLIR M-324XP shows up as hot, this is due to the electro-servo motors keeping the unit aligned. There are different motor torque setting to prevent deviation or movement of the thermal while crossing rough terrain, I keep the torque settings on low to conserve battery power when I am hanging out observing for long periods of time....

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/17/14 12:35 PM

Quite a process, the FLIR one gives some interesting views for sure and the T-75 looks impressive.

Keep us posted clap

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/18/14 02:43 PM

The T-75 mounted on my 556s in front of the 4X-32mm ACOG TA02 really left allot to be desired in the way of FOV as it was less than half that of my T-70s/ACOGs FOV. For my 556mms, the T-70/ACOG is still my preferred thermal weapon scope setup, it is perfect, powerful, lightweight, quick action, easy to use, and deadly.

This powerful long range FLIR T-75 is way better off on my 7.62mms than my 5.56mms, you cannot even take advantage of a long range thermal scope with the 5.56mm caliber as it's lethal kill zone stops about where the T-75 really comes into its own, ie out past 250 yards.

It looks nice mounted on the 7.62mms and works extremely well with my ELCAN 1.5-6X-42mm scopes with the 7.62mm NATO BDC reticules, in fact it works so nice for me that I would not want any other scope for my hunting purposes.

Basically, the Elcan flips from 1.5X to 6X and back instantly and easily, while the T-75 Thermal comes on in 1X unity mode and also has 2X and 4X digital magnification.

This great feature of the Elcan allows me to use the 1.5X for a WFOV about the same as my T-70/ACOG, which is highly appreciated for my kind of swamp hunting. Also, turning on the T-75 internal digital magnification allows me to view through the ocular at either 1.5X (unity), 3.0X (2X digital), or 6X (2X digital).

And for long range, which this thing is specifically designed for, at 6X with the Elcan the FOV is less, but I am reaching much further out in complete clarity. Doubling the T-75 digital magnification to 2X gives me through the ocular 12 power and 4X digital gives me 24X power. That is just incredible and targeting a coyote at 1/4 or a hog at 600 yards just got simple.

The other dynomite feature of the FLIR T-75 Long Range Thermal Weapon Sight is that it is the top of the line of it's kissing cousins, the FLIR M-18 RECON, and the FLIR T-70 Short Ranger Thermal Weapon Sight and each of these incredible instruments works exactly the same, switching over from one to the other is a total no brainer as they are all basically the same platform. Since I have all of these kits, it is super simple to use anyone of them....

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/19/14 12:40 PM

Okay, here are a couple of representative thermal pics from the FLIR T-75 taken as small snapshots out of the thermal video stream from the unit at night.

Conditions were terrible, worst possible thermal conditions for any kind of emissivity, ambient temperature 84*F, 100% humindity in thick air after a thunderstorm.

Remember, these low res pics are coming out of the FLIR t-75 thermal camera at either 1X, 2X digital, or 4X digital.

I am looking at these same scenes at either 6X, 12X, or 24X through the ocular of the Elcan scope, so basically everything is 6X larger and enhanced from what you view in these pics.

Coon @ 175 yards, I am seeing him 6X this:

Coon @ 175 yards, I am seeing him at 12X this and he fills the entire ocular view like I am sitting right on top of him:

Coon @ 175 yards, I am seeing him at 24X and he is larger than the ocular view, crosshairs on his eyeball:

Now this was pretty interesting and simply amazing, I was out on a powerline clear cut that is two miles long and previously mowed with my bush hog.

Each telephone pole is 120 yards apart from the other.

I am sitting in the UTV watching the FLIR M-324XP Pan/Tilt thermal camera on the LCD TV when I pick up some thermal signature out almost a half mile down the line,

Turn on the T-75 and at 1X unity with the Elcan behind it, I can clearly see a boar hog at 550 yards without a problem!

Boar Hog @ 550 yards, remember I am view this at 6X what you see here:

Now I turn on the T-75 to 2X digital magnification and instantly I am on top of the boar at 12X ocular and could easily take a precise shot on him:

Flip the FLIR T-75 to 4X internal digital and suddenly I am seeing him at 24X though the ocular and he covers the entire view as if I am sitting on top of him:

I did not have my tripod with me and the grass was too tall for a bipod, so I started walking towards him to try to close down the distance some for a good shot.

It was a LOONNGG walk, five minutes later I am laying down trying to get a bead on him when he walks into the brush and disappears.

This was his photo on the game cam that I picked up a couple of weeks ago and have been stalking him since then:

The FLIR T-75 is one bleep of a powerful bleep bleeping awesome Long Range Thermal Rifle Scope!

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/19/14 03:02 PM

As far as actual scope magnification goes, the T-75 will handle an 8X scope on 1X digital zoom without any pixelation, pixelation is still remarkably acceptable at 12X.

However, having a scope of 8X and above would severely limit your FOV even at 1X, so if you are banging steel on a range, yes it would be good to use a high power scope, if you are out in the middle of nowhere at night banging hogs and dogs, NO.

In fact, the ELCAN Specter Dr 1.25X-6X-42mm that I am using are virtually perfect for my hunting applications, as I can quickly and easily flip between 1.5X and 6X.

At 1.5X, the FOV and functionally basically duplicates my fantastic 4xACOG/T-70 in providing me a WFOV and bumping up the digital zoom to 2X and 4X makes it zoom in very nicely, this pretty much covers and exceeds ALL the usefullness of the ACOG/T-70 with the Elcan on 1.5X.

With the Elcan on 6X, it is a completely different story, you have much less (less than 1/2) the FOV of the ACOG/T-70 on 1X, but a beautiful sharp 6X magnified view. And with the T-75 digital zoom on 2X you have an awesome 12X ocular view with acceptable pixelation that puts you right there on top of your target.

Plus, with the T-75 on 4X digital zoom you have 24X ocular zoom for taking eyeball shots.

Anything over 6X is going to require a tripod or some sort of dedicated rest to be able to make any kind of shot possible, however with the proper shooter and gear, basically any kind of night shot is possible with this fantastically powerful FLIR T-75 long range thermal weapon scope.

Forget using 556 though, this scope goes way beyond that cartridge capability.

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/19/14 03:56 PM

If only there were someway to record what the ocular sees, of course getting a camera and your eyeball all in place to take and record a shot is impossible.

Thanks for the update, the original poster is putting together a 7mm08 rifle so plenty of punch vs 556 so this all continues to relate to the original question.

As always Skypup, I'm extremely jealous of your gear and setup for hunting.

rock_on

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/19/14 04:05 PM

I do have an I-Phone camera attachment for my ACOG behind the FLIR T-75 through which I could take photos/videos of 4X, 8X, and 16X through the entire unit so you would be seeing what I actually am seeing, but I do not have an attachment for the Elcan, it has a larger diameter ocular lens than the ACOG does.
Posted By: AP2020

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/22/14 05:52 AM

Hey y'all

I'd like to mount whatever Thermal Optic I would need to do a 1,000 yard HOG!! WOOHOOO!

Serious, my current 260AI with a 140 gr. 6.5mm starting out at 3,067fps only needs 23.8MOA to get to 1,000 yards!

Velocity remaining= 1,633 fps

K.E. remaining = 830 ft/lbs

btw...I am really enjoying this thread. SERIOUS!

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=d0nBwN31z-U[/video]

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/23/14 02:59 AM

One Happy Camper's FLIR Thermal Collection!

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/23/14 04:40 AM

Hey THF'ers -

I just want to say that what you are reading in this thread shouldn't be taken lightly.

The original poster builds professional rifles that provide users with long range shooting capability.

The weapon sights being discussed are manufactured to exacting tolerances to support the capability of long distance shooting and/or they are military grade sights which have a proven track record.

As for the shooter - one of the key variables in the equation and the primary decider of where to shoot and what is deemed safe.

I hope that readers of this thread will comprehend that shooting live animals at extreme distance can be a sensitive subject for some hunters, day or night, and it isn't my intent to encourage or discourage any hunter from what they feel is their personal ability to make clean and ethical kills. Respect for the animal and respect amongst hunters are fundamental principals of hunting and shooting sports so lets not turn this thread into a platform for judgment or chiding of others rather lets maintain focus on the topic at hand which is long range hunting setups built to carry out a very specific purpose in qualified hands.

With that said I truly believe that Skypup and ArchersParadox know what they are doing and they are using, or intend to use, the appropriate equipment to demonstrate that long range hunting at night is possible. Goodluck gentlemen in your quest to bag a hog at the distances mentioned!!!

As for the casual observer(s), myself included!

I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH, be safe and do your homework via aerial maps to check areas beyond and adjacent to your targets and hunting areas if you intend to use or test equipment at long range at night.

Like you hear the pros say all the time, it is probably best if "YOU DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME".

HTXH

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/23/14 01:49 PM

Sky pup, you have a mega-jealousy inducing set of NV equipment there! Don't wanna know how much all that cost (and don't say it was free either wink ).

HTxH, you are spot on with your last post. Even though I can see something doesn't mean I could or should try to shoot it. Bad scenario of wounding an animal can turn to a worst case scenario of throwing lead way down range and hitting something far worse than an animal.

I too would love to see what kind of detail is visible through the ocular when mag'd up real high with these scopes. Are we talking ability to count hairs on a hog at 800 yards or are we talking the ability to see a heat signature that is aist certainly a hog at 800? Enjoying this thread and what technology is out there up

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/24/14 03:28 AM

I was out on the powerline grade out back tonight hanging out in the middle of a huge thunderstorm after dark with lightning and heavy rain in massive quantities...water gauge had 4 inches when I pulled back up to the log cabin.

Spotted a sounder group while sitting in the UTV watching the FLIR M-324 HD LCD inside the cockpit about 3/4 mile down the road rooting.

Turned on the engine and the Larson Electronics Red Led blaster headlamp and slowly made it down to the third telephone pole from the hogs, poles are 120 yards apart, so about 325-350 yards.

It was about 85*, 110% humidity, teaming rain and when I turned on the T-75 it looked like I was sitting right on top of them!

First 7.62mm 130 grain Barnes TSX shot killed this sow and then I hit two more, it was raining so hard that I only had time to pick up the sow and bring her back with me, will go out and get the other two tomorrow morning.

Both thermals worked excellent in the rain, not a problem as the hogs all stood out like a sore thumb. Also turned on the miniDVR to video tape the hogs going down so will work on that later....

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/24/14 01:29 PM

Here are a couple of representative low res snap shots from the FLIR T-75 thermal from 300+ yards out, I am seeing this at 6X through the ocular:

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/24/14 05:23 PM

Here is the video from the three hog shoot out, unfortunately the video connection died the second I pulled the trigger, but you can see the FLIR T-75 thermal response at 300 plus yards up until then at 1X, 2X, and 4X in the pouring down rain at 84*F, remember, I am seeing what you see in the video at 6X through the Elcan ocular:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T75/T75%20Sow/T75%20Sow.mp4

12MB MP4 file so will play on Mac, IPad, or PC...

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/27/14 12:32 AM

Some wild boar hogs with the FLIRONE at night:

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/27/14 01:12 AM

The FLIR one colorization of pink on pigs somehow makes me really hunger for BACON!

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/27/14 01:38 AM

Hey THF'ers -

I just want to say that what you are reading in this thread shouldn't be taken lightly.

The original poster builds professional rifles that provide users with long range shooting capability.

The weapon sights being discussed are manufactured to exacting tolerances to support the capability of long distance shooting and/or they are military grade sights which have a proven track record.

As for the shooter - one of the key variables in the equation and the primary decider of where to shoot and what is deemed safe.

I hope that readers of this thread will comprehend that shooting live animals at extreme distance can be a sensitive subject for some hunters, day or night, and it isn't my intent to encourage or discourage any hunter from what they feel is their personal ability to make clean and ethical kills. Respect for the animal and respect amongst hunters are fundamental principals of hunting and shooting sports so lets not turn this thread into a platform for judgment or chiding of others rather lets maintain focus on the topic at hand which is long range hunting setups built to carry out a very specific purpose in qualified hands.

With that said I truly believe that Skypup and ArchersParadox know what they are doing and they are using, or intend to use, the appropriate equipment to demonstrate that long range hunting at night is possible. Goodluck gentlemen in your quest to bag a hog at the distances mentioned!!!

As for the casual observer(s), myself included!

I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH, be safe and do your homework via aerial maps to check areas beyond and adjacent to your targets and hunting areas if you intend to use or test equipment at long range at night.

Like you hear the pros say all the time, it is probably best if "YOU DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME".

HTXH

COPY THAT!

After 26 years of reloading, I reckon I have figured a thing or 2! One thing is for certain to go from a 1/2MOA rifle to a 1/4MOA rifle is strictly in the consistency of your reloads.....AND several fastidious steps are necessary, NO, it's not for everyone, and most people probably can not shoot any better nor judge the wind within 1/2MOA.

But, the challenges are there...and if y'all do your homework can be accomplished!

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/27/14 01:49 AM

Excellent post ArchersParadox!

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/27/14 04:07 AM

Thank 'ya!

The cases are numbered with a sharpie represent 0.001" of an inch.

I seat all of my bullets in a 2 step process using a micrometer seating die.

I seat the bullets "long", that is the COL cartridge overall length is 0.009" too long.

On the average the variance of the bullet's ogive [that's the curved radius for lack of more technical terms!] can vary the COL by as much as 0.005"

So, once I have seated all of the bullets the first time, I use a bullet comparator gauge and measure with my calipers each bullet's COL.

Segregate them....as you can see they typically fall into your standard "bell curve" sorta like test scores!!

Then for the final seat, I just adjust my micrometer seating die to the desired 0.001" readings...

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/27/14 04:13 AM

Honestly these reloads are intended for our Ohio groundhogs....kill zone is about a 4" circle and shots can range out to 1,000 yards!

Now my Hog reloads...only have to be MOH [minute of Hog]..lol

and at ranges less than 100 yards at night!

However, I would take up the challenge for a long range thermal hog kill..heck yeah!!! in a heartbeat!!

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/27/14 08:38 PM

Hey fellas..newbie mistake here...I didn't realize y'all had a reloading sub forum!!

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/29/14 11:57 AM

I really wish it was not August with 100% humidity and 85+F temps at night so I could get some excellent video our of this powerful FLIR T-75 thermal long range scope.

I shot two hogs on the powerline with the SIG 716 7.62mm @ 250 yards and175 yards the night before last about 11PM.

In this video the long range one is already Lights Out while the closer one I shoot here is digging and rooting out a 3'X5' hole oblivious to me about to pull the trigger on him in the dark drizzling humid hot rainy night.

It is an MP4 video about 54MB so will work on Mac, IPad, or PC, I am seeing whatever you see in the video @ 6X though an Elcan scope:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Visi...0Hog%20Kill.mp4

Enjoy!

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/29/14 01:36 PM

I really wish it was not August with 100% humidity and 85+F temps at night so I could get some excellent video our of this powerful FLIR T-75 thermal long range scope.

I shot two hogs on the powerline with the SIG 716 7.62mm @ 250 yards and175 yards the night before last about 11PM.

In this video the long range one is already Lights Out while the closer one I shoot here is digging and rooting out a 3'X5' hole oblivious to me about to pull the trigger on him in the dark drizzling humid hot rainy night.

It is an MP4 video about 54MB so will work on Mac, IPad, or PC, I am seeing whatever you see in the video @ 6X though an Elcan scope:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Visi...0Hog%20Kill.mp4

Enjoy!

Thom -

Good video, time to help us out with what we are seeing on the base image without zoom activated.

LR: Native magnification is optimized for FOV to compliment Rifle Combat Optic (RCO)

So based on the video the hog in the near field of view is 175 yards, spaced almost to the next post is the 250 yard (dead hog). So if the posts are approx. spaced 75 yards apart, as you watch the video it gives the appearance that you are positioned at the 100 yard post BUT that is the deception of Long Range Clip-ons, isn't it.

The T-75 is not a 1x optic, but I don't find a native magnification specification, what would be your guess?

Also if your posts are spaced 75 yards apart that is going to be 7 ish more posts down the powerline there for the 800 yard killshot. That'll be a wee-tiny spec on the video out file when you take a shot on the 800 yard hog. Can you situate a monocular at 50 yards away from the bait site to capture the impact on target, not only would it be effen-cool but it would give a good indication of delay to impact.

If you can pull this off by end of September I might name my next Boy - Skypup king

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/29/14 01:51 PM

It is difficult to produce good thermal images during the humid summer nights, the powerline poles are approximately 125 yards apart ( I laser ranged them with a Leopold laser range finder and found them to vary between 118 and 135 yards apart).

The FLIR T-75 has 1X as unity if I was using it as a Standalone Thermal Weapon Scope, it also has 2X and 4X digital magnifications, so as a StandAlone Thermal Weapon Scope it functions at 1X, 2X, and 4X.

As a Clip-On thermal weapon scope in front of my Elcan Specter DR 1.5-6X-42mm scope it functions as either 1.5X, 3.0X, 6.0X, 12.0X, and 24.0X.

I have no problems detecting, seeing, IDing, and targeting a hog @ 600 yards at night in the thick soupy summer nights, I am certain I will have ZERO problems detecting and seeing, IDing and targeting a hog at 800 yards during the cooler nights of fall, winter, and spring with the FLIR T-75 Long Range Thermal Weapon Scope.

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/29/14 02:26 PM

Okay so I figured wrong, see that is where these threads are educational, I assumed with the front lens that the T-75 has (looks like a magnified lens) that native magnification would be more than 1x.

Because the video you posted is off the video out port it doesn't have any zoom unless you engage it and then it shows on the bottom of the video.

So that said, then you were shooting from the next post in series on the power line ?

Also did you hit the post with your first shot at 1:44 seconds?

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/29/14 02:41 PM

I was teaching a novice how to shot the 7.62mm with the FLIR T-75 on top of it, we were laying down on top of a stand built into the top of his pickup truck, the rifle was on my Harris bipod rest and I was trying to teach him how to use the FLIR after I demonstrated how easy it was for me to shoot the first hog out 250 yards myself.

He did not know what he was doing at all, I had to set the rifle up for him, he did not even know where the safety was? He is a deep sea charter boat captain and had never used a thermal rifle scope before and did not know what he was doing, I had to talk him through the entire process.

His first suppressed shot missed the hog and I told him to hold the center cross-hair dot on his shoulder as I have this rifle zeroed in at 200 yards.

It has a Geissele trigger that is about 1 pound pull and he accidentally squeezed off to soon when he first touched the trigger.

I told him NOT to touch the trigger until he was prepared to shoot.

After telling him to aim at upper shoulder, he did, and bullet penetrated upper shoulder DRT with massive destruction from the 3,000 fps 130 grain Barnes TSX handload...... clap

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/30/14 01:14 PM

We had a severe thunderstorm last night from 5-8:30PM that dumped two inches of rain with lots and lots of lightning and thunder right on top of us.

Went out in the UTV to sit on the power line road about 9PM as it was still raining moderately and everything was muddied out on the road out there.

Was sitting in the rain reading a book story on my I Phone with the FLIR M-324 pointed down the power line giving me a good view in the rain of a couple of hundred yards in the mono-thermal environment. Mosquitoes were extremely thick and without the ThermaCell on there is no way I could have just parked there.

Still some occasional lightning here and there and moderate to drizzling rain the entire time with gusts of wind get me wet at times. Just sate quietly reading with the FLIR covering the open area on the power line.

About 10PM I look up at the HD LCD monitor and could see what appeared to be a loaner boar hog down rooting in the open about 250 yards down the line.

Turned on the FLIR T-75 Long Range Thermal scope and sure enough, it was a big boar! Turned on the video and got everything going while sitting in the drivers seat with the SIG 716 7.62mm pointed out over the steering wheel.

Took one suppressed shot and WHACK, you could hear the 7.62mm 130 grain 3,000fps slug hit him like a ton of bricks, he collapsed and did a 180* turn to head for the woods but apparently was suffering from severe spinal CNS problems as he could not stand and only crawl. Shot again and missed while he was low to the ground crawling, shot again and hit him WHACK, he was not going anywhere.

Drove down to him and got out and was surprised to see how large this loner boar hog was, intact with nutz, he was a real fighter and had two noticeable wounds on his body, his shield was over an inch thick from all the fights he had been in.

Was able to get him home and dressed out over 225 pounds of meat!

Thermal video turned out real good too for being shot in pouring down rain, will work on that this weekend....the FLIR T-75 is a superb Long Rang Thermal Night Scope!

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/30/14 06:00 PM

That's a whole bunch of meat!!

Nice shootin!

Vic

Re: Thermal/ Night vision help - 08/31/14 03:09 AM

We tried it again tonight but got in a super heavy thunderstorm with 4 inches of rain, soaked with no hogs but thank goodness for 4WD with locking differential as we would still be out there now without it!!! Super super swampy...

Here are a couple of FLIR T-75 video out takes of that big boar at 200 yards at 1X, 2X and 4X, I am seeing same thing as these pics but magnified 6X though the Elcan Specter DR, making the boar fill the entire viewing ocular!!!

Remember, this is in the POURING RAIN......

1X Black Hot:

1X Rainbow White Hot:

2X Black Hot:

4X Black Hot:

Still working on the video of the hog kill.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum