Texas Hunting Forum

Long range scope

Posted By: ***Sean***

Long range scope - 07/17/14 03:55 PM

Need good long range optics! Got a R25 in 308. Want some thing i can 0 at 100. But shoot to 1000 yards in 100 yard increments. Any thing out there for 600 800 or so bucks? Have a bdc on my ar15. Want something better for the R25.
Posted By: Skylar Mac

Re: Long range scope - 07/17/14 04:04 PM

For $600 or less, you are limiting yourself to using something from Falcon Menace.

If you increased your budget, just a little bit, you could use several other superior options that are mechanically more reliable and would better serve you in the long run.

Options like:
SWFA SS 3-15X42
Vortex Viper PST 4-16X50
Weaver Tactical 3-15X50

The SS has enough internal travel to shoot that distance without needing a a specialized 20 MOA bases.
The other two, unfortunately do not have internal travel and you would need to use a 20 MOA picatinny rail in order to achieve shots at 1K.
Posted By: GLC

Re: Long range scope - 07/17/14 04:28 PM

I am very satisfied with my Falcom Menace that I got from SWFA so far. Clear glass and tracks well. Cant beat it for the price. $359. Got mine MOA/MOA but they also have them in Mil/Mil
http://swfa.com/Falcon-Menace-4-14x44-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P57240.aspx
They also have a bunch of other models too.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Long range scope - 07/17/14 06:22 PM

The SS would be a good inexpensive option. I have a 3-9 FFP that I run on my 300 blk out, and can easily shoot it out to 500 yards.
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Long range scope - 07/17/14 09:18 PM

SWFA SS 3-15X42
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Long range scope - 07/18/14 01:29 AM

Originally Posted By: ccoker
SWFA SS 3-15X42

Yep. That's the scope for that budget.

Re: Long range scope - 07/20/14 12:46 AM

Decided not to cheap out. Going to get the Burris Eliminator III.

Re: Long range scope - 07/20/14 01:13 AM

You're better off with an SS or a Vortex. You wont find a Burris in the croud among the guys I compete against. Shooting steel at distance and shooting hide at distance is the same shooting.
Posted By:

Re: Long range scope - 07/20/14 01:24 AM

Originally Posted By: ***Sean***
Decided not to cheap out. Going to get the Burris Eliminator III.

Cheater.

Spinnin turrets is where it's at. They don't run on unreliable batteries.

Chupa

Re: Long range scope - 07/20/14 04:13 AM

Link to ss or vortec scope? custom turrets?
Posted By: dee

Re: Long range scope - 07/20/14 02:05 PM

You don't need custom turrets they are only good if they are made for the exact conditions you are going to be shooting in. Any kind of major weather condition changes will change your point of impact. Get a mil or moa turret/reticle and learn the dope of the rifle then make a range card for varying conditions.

Re: Long range scope - 07/20/14 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: dee
You don't need custom turrets they are only good if they are made for the exact conditions you are going to be shooting in. Any kind of major weather condition changes will change your point of impact. Get a mil or moa turret/reticle and learn the dope of the rifle then make a range card for varying conditions.

Bingo!

Custom turrets are a gimmick aimed at the uneducated preying on their fear of the Mil or the MOA. Scope makers use Mil or MOA to build a turret and relabel it.

Go to SWFA.com and look at the Vortex Viper PST and SS Mrad scopes. I use both scopes.
Posted By: Phantom

Re: Long range scope - 07/20/14 03:01 PM

X2 for the vortex. Spend more now and enjoy more later. If you can try to find a used NF.

Re: Long range scope - 07/20/14 03:04 PM

Most NF models are second focal plane and that sucks.
Except for the BEAST or the F-1. I would own an F-1 but that's the only one.

Re: Long range scope - 07/21/14 11:51 PM

How about I add more cash and get the Vortex® Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1MOA??? Double as spotting scope?
roflmao About 950 at cabelas. What scope mount to get? The R25 is a flat top. Kinda like the nikon mount I got with my p223. Works perfect on the AR15 and I like quick detach so I can switch to night vision.

Re: Long range scope - 07/21/14 11:59 PM

Good scope. Get it in Mils. LaRue Tactical has some nice one piece mounts. Think the SWFA SALT mount has had good reviews I just don't know anyone personally that has one.

Re: Long range scope - 07/22/14 12:09 AM

I wish LaRue had a store front. Less then 10 miles from here.

Re: Long range scope - 07/22/14 12:37 AM

If I lived where you did I'd be glad they didn't. Be costly for me.

Re: Long range scope - 07/22/14 09:57 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
If I lived where you did I'd be glad they didn't. Be costly for me.

roflmao

Re: Long range scope - 07/22/14 12:25 PM

Good scope. Get it in Mils. LaRue Tactical has some nice one piece mounts. Think the SWFA SALT mount has had good reviews I just don't know anyone personally that has one.

Why mills? I have a better understanding of MOA.

Re: Long range scope - 07/22/14 02:10 PM

Mils are easier to operate and easier to make corrections when you miss. Easier to memorize your wind for all eanges. Anyone that tells me they think in inches does not have a valid argument. Mils and MOA are angular measurements not linear. You don't see inches in a scope you see Mils or MOA. Look at the windage for your pick of cartridges in Mil and in MOA. Input 90 degree wind at 5 mph. You will clearly see a pattern with Mils. Not necessarily the case with MOA.
Posted By: MDMORROW

Re: Long range scope - 07/22/14 03:13 PM

My mind works way better in tenths than quarters

Re: Long range scope - 07/22/14 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: MDMORROW

Yep eaiser to double, triple, or quadruple .1

Re: Long range scope - 07/22/14 06:00 PM

Bingo!

Custom turrets are a gimmick aimed at the uneducated preying on their fear of the Mil or the MOA. Scope makers use Mil or MOA to build a turret and relabel it.

Go to SWFA.com and look at the Vortex Viper PST and SS Mrad scopes. I use both scopes.

BAM!

Another key point is using something like this is not something you will quickly outgrow.

Some have looked for less expensive variations and discovered once they have become proficient at shorter distances...begin to want to grow in to shooting longer distances and finding out, the scope they paid for is not an adequate scope to accomplish such objectives.

Where buying the right scope the first time saves you money in the long run and is less frustrating.

Re: Long range scope - 07/22/14 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: ***Sean***

Why mills? I have a better understanding of MOA.

If you can read the reticle is shouldn't matter what the adjustment value is.

Personally, I prefer Mrad as well as many others. Matter of fact, several manufacturers are implanting Mrad adjustment over MOA, because finally people are beginning to realize that with mil-dot reticle you should use MRAD adjustment( because they subtend in mils ).

Re: Long range scope - 07/22/14 06:07 PM

Originally Posted By: MDMORROW

Yep eaiser to double, triple, or quadruple .1

I'm the same way.

Re: Long range scope - 07/22/14 09:44 PM

Ill drop in Cabela's later this week and pic up a Vortex® Viper PST Riflescope 6-24 in MRAD. smile Ill never have to wish I had more power lol Anyone have a link to some good reading on the Mil reticle? I think a range trip is in order this weekend.

Re: Long range scope - 07/22/14 10:37 PM

A Mil is a yard at a thousand yards. It is an inch at a thousand inches. It is a rod at a thousand rods, etc.

A mil is half a yard at half a thousand (500). A mil is a tenth of a yard at a tenth of a thousand. Tenth of a yard is 3.6" at 100 yards. Inches don't matter though. What matters is how much your bullet drops in Mils, and how much your bullet drifts in the wind, in Mils. Mils are what the ballistic calculator speaks in, it is what your reticle is subtended in and it is what your turrets dial in. Inches are no more!

Re: Long range scope - 07/23/14 01:49 AM

I'm a moa guy personally but it doesn't matter provided the adjustments match the reticle.
Posted By: cmorsch

Re: Long range scope - 07/23/14 01:53 AM

I prefer the MIL system personally, but unfortunately my next scope is going to end up being MOA based as Nightforce doesn't make a thin subtension mil based reticle.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Long range scope - 07/23/14 02:04 AM

I'm a moa guy personally but it doesn't matter provided the adjustments match the reticle.

Same here, been using MOA since I started shooting with a scope and have no plans of changing, works for me.

Re: Long range scope - 07/23/14 02:40 AM

Originally Posted By: cmorsch
I prefer the MIL system personally, but unfortunately my next scope is going to end up being MOA based as Nightforce doesn't make a thin subtension mil based reticle.

Then don't buy a NF. cyclo

Really? Seems as though I thought I've looked through some. No?
Posted By: MDMORROW

Re: Long range scope - 07/23/14 03:36 AM

Nightforce makes mil scopes. The cheaper ones are moa only. There's better options though in the 1000-1500 range.

Re: Long range scope - 07/23/14 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: cmorsch

Then don't buy a NF. cyclo

Really? Seems as though I thought I've looked through some. No?

I have not found any other scopes that are match what the atacr has and still be a 2nd focal plane optic.

Re: Long range scope - 07/23/14 07:23 PM

How thin are you looking for? I run the MLR reticle, and it's as thin as I've seen.

Re: Long range scope - 07/23/14 10:22 PM

Im looking at the new MOAR-T, reticle is .0625 MOA, the MLR is .093.

Re: Long range scope - 07/23/14 10:54 PM

That's not enough difference to worry about, honestly. Both of those reticles are very fine. That's why I like to NF scopes. You can see your target well when the reticle is on it, instead of covering up it up with a thick FFP reticle. If you put both of those reticles side by side, I doubt you could noticeably tell the difference.
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: Long range scope - 07/24/14 12:35 AM

I love the mil vs moa threads and trying to explain it they are always fun. I will just leave that to you though fireman.

You will be very happy with the pst. up

Walter

Re: Long range scope - 07/24/14 02:48 AM

Originally Posted By: wburke2010
I love the mil vs moa threads and trying to explain it they are always fun. I will just leave that to you though fireman.

You will be very happy with the pst. up

Walter

Aint skeered. This debate will exist for some years to come until the MOA goes away.

Re: Long range scope - 07/24/14 09:38 AM

Plenty of good reading out there if you look around. and youtube vids.

Re: Long range scope - 07/24/14 12:16 PM

Moa will never go away. If there was a major advantage across the board it would but they both offer things the other doesn't. Mil offers coarse fast adjustments typically while moa is more fine and precise while they can both be modified to achieve the others goal in their typical for they are not.

Re: Long range scope - 07/24/14 12:32 PM

What about a March scope and a NF Beast that adjusts down to .05 Mil? That is finer than 1/4 MOA as well as 1/8 MOA.

I was just throwing a flash bang in for you MOA guys. It may never go away, but I can hope.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Long range scope - 07/24/14 12:39 PM

What about a March scope and a NF Beast that adjusts down to .05 Mil? That is finer than 1/4 MOA as well as 1/8 MOA.

I was just throwing a flash bang in for you MOA guys. It may never go away, but I can hope.

Fireman haven't we been over this before....

The heart of the B.E.A.S.T.™ is its i4F™ intelligent four-function elevation control. Initial adjustments with the primary elevation knob are lightning fast, in .50 MOA/.2 Mil-Radian increments. An integral fine adjustment lever provides additional elevation adjustments in .25 MOA/.1 Mil-Radian increments. It is the fastest, most precise elevation control ever conceived on a riflescope. The patented Nightforce ZeroStop™ system, allowing an instant return to the shooter’s established zero point, is standard. A new 360-degree brake control allows instant securing of elevation adjustments.

Re: Long range scope - 07/24/14 12:46 PM

It's been around a good while but no less popular. I have a Leupold with .05 mil adjustments but I don't think it's very desired. With the amount of Fclass and br people running moa plus the majority of scope manufacturer doing either moa or iphy I don't see anything going away any time soon. A good example is that a majority of the scope manufacturer that are coming out with your fancy mil/mil scopes are doing the same setups just in moa/moa.

Re: Long range scope - 07/24/14 02:38 PM

Ok. Then just the March is .05

Re: Long range scope - 07/24/14 02:39 PM

Ford vs. Chevy. Same chit, different day. I'm part of the problem, I know, but it sure is fun to poke yall with a stick.

Re: Long range scope - 07/24/14 03:29 PM

I could care less. I find it funny how some get all worked up over it. I mean hell it's the same concept with a different set of numbers. Imo provided the turret matches tge reticle there is no wrong answer just a different version of the same tool. I guess that explains why I have so many different pliers or hammers.

Re: Long range scope - 07/24/14 05:29 PM

That's for sure!

Re: Long range scope - 07/25/14 09:55 AM

I see the MOA guys showed up. Should I get a 20 MOA base for the AR? It is a flat top. Ill stop a Cabelas this afternoon.

Re: Long range scope - 07/25/14 11:14 AM

The need for a canted base will depend on which scope you get and how far you plan to shoot.

Re: Long range scope - 07/25/14 01:19 PM

The need for a canted base will depend on which scope you get and how far you plan to shoot.

That's true.

Some manufactures optical design varies with the amount of travel in elevation and windage. Depending on how far you would like to shoot, you may want to entertain a bases with added MOA.

Re: Long range scope - 07/25/14 06:46 PM

It was on sale! wink

Re: Long range scope - 07/26/14 12:53 AM

Range trip this weekend.

Re: Long range scope - 07/26/14 01:12 AM

up

Well done. You will not be disappointed
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum