Texas Hunting Forum

gun shows

Posted By: Buzzsaw

gun shows - 08/14/19 01:39 PM

about to be things of the past? Allen trying to do away with theirs. most shows are worthless, even market hall is fading.

would you care if gun shows went away?

imo, they will. im not a gun show guy anymore BUT I HATE losing ANYTHING related to "normal" people not having a place to legally buy a gun
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: gun shows - 08/14/19 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw

imo, they will. im not a gun show guy anymore BUT I HATE losing ANYTHING related to "normal" people not having a place to legally buy a gun

last few gun shows I went to were filled with anything but normal people

was like a comic book convention for people who like guns. a grown man dressing up like Bill Hickock to go down to the expo hall gun show is ridiculous imo
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: gun shows - 08/14/19 01:52 PM

Never been. Won't miss them. Don't look at them in the classifieds. Bought al of mine new. Starting to give them away. Two on THF.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: gun shows - 08/14/19 02:12 PM

While there are all the pressures we're familiar with, the internet is what is killing the local gunshow. Many of us are to the point we don't need to see or feel, in person, something we want to buy.

Charlie
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: gun shows - 08/14/19 03:23 PM

up
Posted By: rolyat.nosaj

Re: gun shows - 08/14/19 03:27 PM

I went one time and there was only one table with about 5 traditional hunting rifles. I didn't like any of them so I left and have never returned.
Posted By: Gangly

Re: gun shows - 08/14/19 03:51 PM

I've only been to one and I didn't find anything of interest that was priced even remotely appropriate. There were a tremendous amount of firearms which was great to look at, but again, way over priced compared to online prices.
Posted By: chalet

Re: gun shows - 08/14/19 04:47 PM

I stop at the Lewisville one sometimes and meet a few good people, but for the most part not impressed. Me and another guy went to the Bowie gun show awhile back and I really enjoyed it. A lot smaller but better stuff and missing 95% of the chinese crap, beef jerky and tacticool junk. Kind of reminded me of the guns shows me and Dad would hit when I was a kid.

I agree though, internet is killing them off.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: gun shows - 08/14/19 05:43 PM

I mean where else can you purchase a firearm, a random set of pots and pans, jerky, jewelry for the wife, homemade jelly and pay for an overpriced chili dog?
Posted By: rolyat.nosaj

Re: gun shows - 08/14/19 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
I mean where else can you purchase a firearm, a random set of pots and pans, jerky, jewelry for the wife, homemade jelly and pay for an overpriced chili dog?

Back of a car in the 3rd or 5th ward in Houston.
Posted By: JDP Ranch

Re: gun shows - 08/15/19 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by rolyat.nosaj
Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock

Back of a car in the 3rd or 5th ward in Houston.

I live in the 3rd ward now... this gave me a good laugh to start the day roflmao
Posted By: ccoker

Re: gun shows - 08/15/19 05:16 PM

I loved them when I was a kid going with my dad
did a few as a grown up, haven't been in probably 10 years

agree with the others, overpriced used guns from dealers praying on newbies

I don't really want to see them "go away" per se but in all honesty, they don't really help our image with the non gun public
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: gun shows - 08/16/19 02:17 AM

Price of admission plus parking turned me off. I was out damn near $40 before I got to see a gun. The cities are killing them.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: gun shows - 08/17/19 11:00 PM

Last time I went to one was to handle the items I was looking to purchase. Found what I wanted and made them an offer and they laughed at me. Came home and ordered it online and had it shipped to a local pawn/gun shop for the transfer. I still saved over a hundred dollars and ordered it in the exact style I wanted. They used to be good in Longview and Tyler but as said above, over priced and lots of junk for sale.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: gun shows - 08/17/19 11:12 PM

Last one me and the wife went to and the only thing we bought was some Blue Emu oil that doesn't do anything. Pretty sure we overpaid too. lol
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: gun shows - 08/25/19 08:55 PM

I wonder if the gun shows had vendors for CBD oil with THC in it peep
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: gun shows - 08/25/19 11:48 PM

I went to the Fort Worth gun show yesterday. I picked up a sweet Winchester model 67 for a hundred bucks and a super yummy hamburger. All the scented candles and such crap were positioned on one aisle so it was easy to pass up. It was a good show.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: gun shows - 08/27/19 11:53 PM

I still go to the local one, but only because you get a coupon at the door good at any vendor equal to the price of admission, and parking is free. Usually I'm looking for something particular so I've already done my research. Worst case scenario I pick up a box of ammo on the way out using the coupon. Last show I picked up 2 boxes of .22 Magnum Hornady V-Max on the way out the door.

I don't want them to go away, but they aren't what they used to be, for sure. Dealers used to offfer "special gun show prices!!!!" that really were decent prices.. These days, it's a "special gun show screwing!!!," if you pay what they're asking. And they'll happily pull out their phone to look up GunBroker prices if you're selling, but they'll get all bent out of shape if you pull your phone out to check their prices.
Posted By: chigh_six9

Re: gun shows - 09/18/19 03:26 PM

I went to one in wichita falls while I was up there for work, and let me just say. I immediately text my dad asking if all gun shows smell like b.o and everything seemed kinda high price including all the fancy knives lol I just went to academy to get what I was looking for afterwards 🤷‍♂️
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: gun shows - 09/18/19 04:49 PM

With the advent of the internet and large stores.... I think gun shows have outlived their usefulness.
Has nothing to do with any political correctness. Just that the only thing people seem to go for is to put hands on accessories or new items. Then go hit amazon for much lower prices.
I don’t understand how some of these dealers and folks stay in business. The only people making any real money seems to be the show promoters. At $8 a head it is not worth it to me to go and buy 1 or 2 small items.

Plus... Too much selling of jerky, jewelry and other non-gun related items now.
Posted By: DeckArtist

Re: gun shows - 09/20/19 02:49 PM

I like them, especially for small items I need for cleaning and maintaining. I doubt they will go away anytime soon in Texas, but yes, someday they will go the way of the dinosaur. I really doubt any serious legislation will get passed anytime soon to limit sales at shows, but with the current climate, it's hard to rule out.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum