Texas Hunting Forum

Question about "duty to inform".

Posted By: J. Preston Bailey

Question about "duty to inform". - 08/04/19 04:17 AM

Suppose one is returning from a hunting trip in TX. One has a rifle or shotgun unloaded inside a gun case in the back seat of the crew cab pickup or even under the locked camper shell with the dogs.

Suppose a cop stops the homeward-bound hunter for perhaps a broken taillight.

Is it then the duty of the driver to tell the cop that he is transporting a gun in his vehicle even if the cop doesn't' ask about firearms?

Does "duty to inform" only pertain to carrying handguns in Texas?

Re: Question about "duty to inform". - 08/04/19 07:50 AM

Another question: does TX "duty to inform" extend to:

-unloaded cased handguns under the front seat of a pickup truck or in the interior of an automobile?
Posted By: Cast

Re: Question about "duty to inform". - 08/04/19 10:38 AM

Your only responsibility is to hand the officer your TDL and your TLTC. You need not say a word. If he asks, it is your duty to answer truthfully.

I just hand them both. They usually thank me for informing them and hand back the TLTC. it is a good ice breaker and identifies you as a good guy.

If the officer starts asking for details, try very hard to keep it light, as you are now dealing with a nervous rookie.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Question about "duty to inform". - 08/04/19 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Cast
Your only responsibility is to hand the officer your TDL and your TLTC. You need not say a word. If he asks, it is your duty to answer truthfully.

I just hand them both. They usually thank me for informing them and hand back the TLTC. it is a good ice breaker and identifies you as a good guy.

If the officer starts asking for details, try very hard to keep it light, as you are now dealing with a nervous rookie.

I don’t think you have to hand them your license to carry anymore. Pretty sure the law changed. I hand it to them anyway like you said it identifies you as a good guy.

OP why would you be riding around with an unloaded pistol under your front seat? I ride everyday with my carry gun on me and an AR15 under my back seat. Unloaded firearms are useless might as well carry a rock instead.

Re: Question about "duty to inform". - 08/05/19 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by KRoyal
Originally Posted by Cast

I don’t think you have to hand them your license to carry anymore. Pretty sure the law changed. I hand it to them anyway like you said it identifies you as a good guy.

OP why would you be riding around with an unloaded pistol under your front seat? I ride everyday with my carry gun on me and an AR15 under my back seat. Unloaded firearms are useless might as well carry a rock instead.

I don't have a handgun license (CCW). I still may want to TRANSPORT my handgun in my vehicle but don't want trouble with the law. Having the unloaded handgun in a locked case separate from the rounds pretty much keeps one universally safe from running afoul of the law in virtually all the states. In a standard cab pickup, the only place you can probably put a cased handgun out of the way is under the seat. In a Ford Ranger or F-150 standard cab truck, I've owned two before, there is usually a shelf behind the seat you can stow a handgun case. A cased handgun probably won't fit in the glove compartment.

I will have to learn more about Texas vehicle gun transport laws. I think in California, the gun case also has to be locked up unless it is in the trunk. Pickups have no trunk.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Question about "duty to inform". - 08/05/19 01:05 AM

In Texas under the castle doctrine you’re perfectly legal to travel with the handgun loaded in your vehicles glove box or center console. Has the be concealed but not concealed on your person if you don’t have a LTC.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Question about "duty to inform". - 08/05/19 10:34 AM

I have no LTC, not interested in doing it or getting a license of any kind. However, when I travel I generally toss a handgun in the side door pocket. Legal or illegal? Duty to inform?

Re: Question about "duty to inform". - 08/05/19 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
I have no LTC, not interested in doing it or getting a license of any kind. However, when I travel I generally toss a handgun in the side door pocket. Legal or illegal? Duty to inform?

I like to keep handguns in cases for protection while transporting unless I am carrying in a fanny pack right on my person provided I'm within the law for this kind of carry.

Years ago, I had a CCW in Idaho. A license WAS required for carry within any "city limits" in ID. One could pack in the boonies in ID sans CCW.

In 2016, Gov. Otter made ID a CC state. The CCW was no longer necessary in most cases except on a college/university campus in ID.

One needs something special called an "enhanced" handgun license to pack heat on campus in ID.

I lived in Boise until this last May. In Idaho, now one can even pack inside the state capitol in Boise., sans license.

I will no longer need a CCW in OK starting Nov. 1.

Posted By: luv2brode

Re: Question about "duty to inform". - 08/08/19 12:48 AM

Per castle doctrine u may have concealed weapon in your vehicle even on your person
Texas does not have a duty to inform
If asked be honest it goes along way most won't ask if you don't offer unless ya already effed up
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Question about "duty to inform". - 08/08/19 02:04 AM

No duty to inform. I’ve been pulled over plenty and was loaded down with guns. Never had an officer even bother asking. Last time I showed my LTC he just handed it back to me and said nothing.
Posted By: SenkoSamurai

Re: Question about "duty to inform". - 08/08/19 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Davidson

I think in your vehicle you are good without a CCW, but it needs to be concealed and not in plain sight.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Question about "duty to inform". - 08/08/19 09:28 PM

The law did change where you do not have to inform. You also are not required to hand over your LTC, but I certainly do. And I also inform them that I am carrying and where it is. I want them to know and feel safe. It goes a long way!
Posted By: FWFish

Re: Question about "duty to inform". - 08/09/19 01:16 AM

As others have stated, Texas does not require informing the officer, but I believe Oklahoma (OP's State) does.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum