Texas Hunting Forum

Shredder blade welding.

Posted By: J.G.

Shredder blade welding. - 05/07/23 03:06 PM

JKMccoy told me his grandad was a welder, and he would run a hard surfacing rod down the edge of the blades every year. My 15' batwing blades are 5 years old. It's quite the chore to replace them, and $300. I thought I'd give this a go. On the box of welding rods, it is labeled that the rods create a surface of a Rockwell hardness of 62.

[Linked Image]

Weld, clean, weld, clean. Repeat until it was built up enough.

[Linked Image]

Grind em sharp.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Shredder blade welding. - 05/07/23 03:24 PM

Good job!
Posted By: Espy

Re: Shredder blade welding. - 05/07/23 06:17 PM

That a good idea and looks good. let us know how it works
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Shredder blade welding. - 05/07/23 07:43 PM

Nice! Great idea!
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Shredder blade welding. - 05/07/23 08:37 PM

Interesting that you did that. My now deceased old neighbor (bad neighbor, not the good neighbor) said that his son did what you did to put a harder edge on the shredder blades. As for my shredder, which now has new blades, I had just sharpened them every season, and had taken off a lot of metal over time. It’s time to sharpen the new blades, maybe, and I’ve wondered if removing metal to sharpen exposes softer metal which wears faster.

Re: Shredder blade welding. - 05/07/23 08:53 PM

Most likely the entire blade is made out of the same steel.

But, blades do get shorter. Most of the work done is at the tip of the blade. Eventually they will get short enough they do not overlap any longer, and will leave strips of uncut grass.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Shredder blade welding. - 05/07/23 09:03 PM

That's pretty cool
How does a surfacing rod differ from your typical welding rod? Or does it?
Posted By: kry226

Re: Shredder blade welding. - 05/07/23 09:44 PM

I like your style, sir. But what do you do about blade balance? Is it significant enough to shorten bearing life?

Re: Shredder blade welding. - 05/07/23 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by TCM3
That's pretty cool
How does a surfacing rod differ from your typical welding rod? Or does it?

Hard surfacing rods produces much harder steel than an E6011 or E7018.

Re: Shredder blade welding. - 05/07/23 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by kry226
I like your style, sir. But what do you do about blade balance? Is it significant enough to shorten bearing life?

Centrifugal blades, bolted to a flywheel that probably weighs over a hundred pounds. I doubt if one blade is an ounce or two heavier than the other, the flywheel or bearings will notice.

Bush Hog batwing shredders are rated to cut up to 3" trees, if memory serves. But, mine mostly tends the rifle range, and right up against tree lines. After the blade rehab, you would have thought I mowed the rifle range with my ZTR lawn mower.
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Shredder blade welding. - 05/07/23 10:23 PM

It works well, I always put some hard spray on mine when new, doubles the life.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Shredder blade welding. - 05/07/23 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by J.G.

Centrifugal blades, bolted to a flywheel that probably weighs over a hundred pounds. I doubt if one blade is an ounce or two heavier than the other, the flywheel or bearings will notice.

Bush Hog batwing shredders are rated to cut up to 3" trees, if memory serves. But, mine mostly tends the rifle range, and right up against tree lines. After the blade rehab, you would have thought I mowed the rifle range with my ZTR lawn mower.

up
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Shredder blade welding. - 05/08/23 10:04 AM

Aren’t new/freshly sharpened blades great? Mine always find a rock, limb, crescent wrench, edge of driveway soon after sharpening
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Shredder blade welding. - 05/08/23 12:52 PM

not enough to matter, seen same thing done. I personally couldnt tell the difference but this was pre-china everything
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Shredder blade welding. - 05/08/23 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by BigPig
Aren’t new/freshly sharpened blades great? Mine always find a rock, limb, crescent wrench, edge of driveway soon after sharpening

On my 1978 Bush Hog Shredder would cut just about anything the tractor could push down. I used Rock Crusher Rods similar to Lincoln Wearshield® ABR and they cut like new for years. I hit a big iron ore rock and chipped a chunk off of both blades. I stopped and inspected them and the chipped areas looked like they had been knapped like flint arrowhead and extremely sharp. The blades lasted long enough to get loose on the attachment bolt.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Shredder blade welding. - 05/08/23 02:09 PM

Hmmm... Pretty good idea!
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Shredder blade welding. - 05/11/23 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Old Rabbit
Originally Posted by BigPig

On my 1978 Bush Hog Shredder would cut just about anything the tractor could push down. I used Rock Crusher Rods similar to Lincoln Wearshield® ABR and they cut like new for years. I hit a big iron ore rock and chipped a chunk off of both blades. I stopped and inspected them and the chipped areas looked like they had been knapped like flint arrowhead and extremely sharp. The blades lasted long enough to get loose on the attachment bolt.

Maybe I should do this for my ZTR blades. I hit all kinds of stuff. I found a grill grate one day, it passed through all 3 blades before exiting out the chute, what a mess
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Shredder blade welding. - 07/22/23 03:13 PM

Hard surface one side only. Done this way the blades are self sharpening. Nice job.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Shredder blade welding. - 07/23/23 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
Hard surface one side only. Done this way the blades are self sharpening. Nice job.

Same principle as this:

[img]https://www.fisherbarton.com/products/turf-care/laseredge/[/img]
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum