Texas Hunting Forum

Butcher block in bath and kitchen?

Posted By: Nolanco

Butcher block in bath and kitchen? - 04/16/23 10:46 PM

I have experimented with this in a 3/4 bath with a small counter of "hevea/rubberwood" treated with MinWax pre-stain, then Minwax stain, then Minwax Spar Urethane. It hasn't seen a lot of use yet, so I don't have much to report, other than that the spar urethane seems a bit delicate/easily scratched.
I am considering using this same butcherblock product in the main bathroom and even in the kitchen -- which of course takes a different food-safe finish with mineral oil and so forth.
In the main bath, I'm leaning toward trying a real spar varnish, either Rustoleum of McCloskey Man-o-War. Anyone here have first-hand experience with butcherblock in these wet and or food prep places?
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Butcher block in bath and kitchen? - 04/17/23 05:53 PM

It is bound to go bad eventually.

Granite will never need refinishing, nor will it ever go bad.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Butcher block in bath and kitchen? - 04/17/23 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by J.G.
It is bound to go bad eventually.

Granite will never need refinishing, nor will it ever go bad.

^^^

Even garbage granite will last longer than BB.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Butcher block in bath and kitchen? - 04/17/23 11:17 PM

Only way I would do butcher block in a bathroom is of using a vessel sink so there is less chance of water constantly getting on the wood
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Butcher block in bath and kitchen? - 04/19/23 12:26 AM

Read somewhere recently butcher block is making a comeback for kitchen counters.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Butcher block in bath and kitchen? - 04/19/23 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by BigPig
Only way I would do butcher block in a bathroom is of using a vessel sink so there is less chance of water constantly getting on the wood

We put a vessel sink on an antique cabinet with a wood top 19 years ago during a bathroom remodel. The counter still looks like it did when we installed it.
This is in our downstairs bathroom that is used more than any other bathroom.
Posted By: Sauerkraut

Re: Butcher block in bath and kitchen? - 04/19/23 02:59 AM

We have it on our kitchen island and love it. Would’ve done it on all my kitchen surfaces if my wife wasn’t set on granite. If you take care of it, it’ll last a long time. And by take care of it, I mean oil it down every 3-6 months. That being said, I don’t care about it looking perfect. I chop on it, tenderize steaks, whatever. It you want your countertops to look perfect, go with what most of the others will probably say.

Posted By: Nolanco

Re: Butcher block in bath and kitchen? - 04/19/23 11:24 PM

Sauerkraut, when you say oil it, I assume you mean food-grade mineral oil?
Posted By: Sauerkraut

Re: Butcher block in bath and kitchen? - 04/20/23 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Nolanco
Sauerkraut, when you say oil it, I assume you mean food-grade mineral oil?

I use tung oil. Give it a really nice finish. up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum