Texas Hunting Forum

Pumpkins

Posted By: fadetoblack64

Pumpkins - 04/12/22 08:35 PM

Wonder if I can grow those giant pumpkins up here in Oklahoma in this sandy loam.
Posted By: Derek

Re: Pumpkins - 04/12/22 09:45 PM

Should do great in sandy loam. You'll want to make sure the flowers get well pollinated. It's been a few years, but I watched deal on commercial pumpkin production. Each flower needs a minimum of like 13 visits from bees to get fully pollinated and set good fruit.(that's a lot) and the flowers are only open for a few hours. I would for sure keep an eye on bee activity and if it's low resort to hand pollinating.
Posted By: fadetoblack64

Re: Pumpkins - 04/12/22 10:23 PM

Interesting. I just want some of those giant 500lb pumpkins
Posted By: Poppa

Re: Pumpkins - 04/13/22 12:10 AM

that would make alot of pies
Posted By: PMK

Re: Pumpkins - 04/13/22 04:12 PM

that reminds me ... a number of years back, our Sunday school class had a big get together around Halloween and had a pumpkin carving contest. All the seeds (likely 20+ pumpkins worth) got dumped into a trash bag and the host of the party asked me if I wanted them. Sure, why not. I had a food plot I had planted a few weeks earlier, so I just spread out the pumpkin seeds along the end and kicked some dirt over them. The following year, I had pumpkin vines all over the place on that end and the deer went bonkers over the blooms. There were actually a few pumpkins that made it thru as well. For the next several years, they would reseed themselves.
Posted By: Western

Re: Pumpkins - 04/14/22 01:19 AM

FtB, You can buy seeds from giant grown stock, but open your piggy bank. Or try a few more available seed and feed them milk and see what happens. We did this when I was a kid and it works. We used a wick type rope and let the vines pull what they needed, pulled all flowers but 1.

I have Honey bees, bumble bees likely better pollinator for those large petals
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum