Texas Hunting Forum

Any atv engine mechanics?

Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Any atv engine mechanics? - 11/18/21 02:14 AM

I have an early 2000s Honda Foreman ES. 2004 I think. It was my grandfathers. I put a new carb on it back in the spring because it was leaking fuel.

It's been sitting for a month or two with my back surgery and recovery. Got it out, charge the battery. It will crank and run a few seconds with choke on then die. Won't restart after that. If it sits for a while it will start and do the same thing.

My thought is it's not getting fuel to the carb efficiently.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Any atv engine mechanics? - 11/18/21 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Cow_doc.308
I have an early 2000s Honda Foreman ES. 2004 I think. It was my grandfathers. I put a new carb on it back in the spring because it was leaking fuel.

It's been sitting for a month or two with my back surgery and recovery. Got it out, charge the battery. It will crank and run a few seconds with choke on then die. Won't restart after that. If it sits for a while it will start and do the same thing.

Does it have a pulse type fuel pump, electric fuel pump?
Posted By: Lazyjack

Re: Any atv engine mechanics? - 11/18/21 03:03 AM

Not a mechanic but ..fits a problem I had with a Kohler.

When it cranks but wont start, starter fluid, carb cleaner or brake cleaner in carb throat. If if cranks and will run on spray, check for an electric fuel stop solenoid device in bottom of carb bowl. Could be stuck or 12 volt connection loose.
Posted By: huntingag01

Re: Any atv engine mechanics? - 11/18/21 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by flintknapper
Originally Posted by Cow_doc.308

Does it have a pulse type fuel pump, electric fuel pump?

Pretty sure those are gravity fed.

Check our plug, it will tell you if getting too much fuel or not enough.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Any atv engine mechanics? - 11/18/21 05:55 PM

Check your fuel lines and tank for junk. Blow them out with an air hose.
Posted By: maximum

Re: Any atv engine mechanics? - 11/18/21 06:49 PM

Never try to run any questionable or old gasoline through anything
like an outboard or lawn/outdoor equipment or motorcycles or ATV'S

It can suck dirt and trash up into the tiny passages in the carburetor
and they'll be hell to clean out. Siphon any old gasoline out and don't
turn whatever over trying to get it started until all the old dirty gasoline
is out and fresh gasoline is in. If whatever doesn't have a good fuel
filter, put one on it

BTDT- don't care to BTDT again
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Any atv engine mechanics? - 11/18/21 08:04 PM

Water
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Any atv engine mechanics? - 11/19/21 06:49 AM

I’ve had 2 of that same year Foreman’s. First off, I’d it’s not a Honda carb, throw it away and get a Honda carb. They are easy to rebuild. Make sure the float is responding and not junked up. Make sure the needle valve is clean. A small safety pin is very handy in cleaning these carbs. I normally take everything apart and soak it in B-12 Chemtool over night. There’s a filter in the bottom of the tank, you’ll have to do some work to replace it, but I highly advise you replace it.

There’s not much to these units, tons of videos online
Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Re: Any atv engine mechanics? - 11/19/21 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by BigPig
I’ve had 2 of that same year Foreman’s. First off, I’d it’s not a Honda carb, throw it away and get a Honda carb. They are easy to rebuild. Make sure the float is responding and not junked up. Make sure the needle valve is clean. A small safety pin is very handy in cleaning these carbs. I normally take everything apart and soak it in B-12 Chemtool over night. There’s a filter in the bottom of the tank, you’ll have to do some work to replace it, but I highly advise you replace it.

There’s not much to these units, tons of videos online

Thanks. I had the thought of bad/old gas. Or clogged fuel line. Going to have to drain and clean it all and see if I can’t get it back up and going.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Any atv engine mechanics? - 11/25/21 02:40 AM

Did you get it running? If it's gravity fed it sounds very much like a clogged float needle valve that doesn't allow the float bowl to sustain enough fuel. It stops once all the fuel is sucked out of the bowl. Give the bowl some time to slowly refill and it will start and run for a brief time again. Very common with small engines that have been left for extended periods with fuel in the carburetor. It can be easily avoided by turning off the gas and running the engine until it stops. NOT FINISHED YET. Open the drain screw on the float bowl and drain the residual fuel out of the bottom of the bowl. Just a couple of tablespoons of fuel left in the bottom of a float bowl for months on end is never good. Clogged main and idle jets are also common when fuel is left in an ATV carburetor for for extended periods. Fuel additives help some but leaving everything empty is best IMO.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Any atv engine mechanics? - 11/25/21 04:36 PM

Will it run with the throttle opened up? I've got a 2003 Honda 500 Foreman where the carb gets gummed up quickly if not used regularly, even with fuel stabilizer in it. In my case, it's always the small idle jet that requires the carb to be removed. It will run at higher RPMs but will not idle.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum