Texas Hunting Forum

Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio

Posted By: KRoyal

Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/23/21 07:50 PM

Got a wild hair and decided to make a patio out back for our fire pit area. We love to sit in the back yard around a nice fire this time of year. So I figured why not.

Here are some pics of the project so far. Did this all this morning. Boy am I tired lol. Ready for the deco granite now. Should need about 2 yards which will take me 2 trips to the stone place. Should get this finished up this week.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/23/21 07:59 PM

Is that plastic going to effect water getting to the roots of your tree?

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/23/21 08:02 PM

It shouldn’t there is several gaps in it that water can flow through but weeds should be tamped out, but I’m shooting from the hip here and don’t really have a clue hahah. I’m far from a pro at landscaping things.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/23/21 09:10 PM

Weeds will grow the DG. You are the Raptor can handle 1 yard of DG? It’s around 2,600 pounds if it’s not wet. 1 yard will cover about 70 square feet being 3 inches deep.

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/23/21 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by BigPig
Weeds will grow the DG. You are the Raptor can handle 1 yard of DG? It’s around 2,600 pounds if it’s not wet. 1 yard will cover about 70 square feet being 3 inches deep.

Weeds will grow through anything. The owner of the stone place has the same Raptor and said it’ll handle 1 yard. He said you’ll definitely be squatted but won’t be on the bump stops.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/23/21 10:20 PM

I like decomposed granite. Never had problems with anything growing through it. I did edge the granite with steel edging.

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/23/21 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
I like decomposed granite. Never had problems with anything growing through it. I did edge the granite with steel edging.

I wanted to do steel edging but this “gardening” project has turned into some big bucks already lol.
Posted By: erathar

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/23/21 11:48 PM

Every person I’ve known that had DC removed it because they were tired of tracking it in the house and scratching floors. Just something to keep in mind.

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/24/21 12:00 AM

I have an area I use for parking my trailers with DG. Weeds come through every year, but no weed barrier underneath.

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/24/21 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by erathar
Every person I’ve known that had DC removed it because they were tired of tracking it in the house and scratching floors. Just something to keep in mind.

Yup. Ours gets tracked onto the patio and stains it. Twice a year I power wash the patio. Not a big enough issue for me to remove the DG, mine serves as a walkway and does a fine job.
Posted By: Blank

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/24/21 02:44 PM

Black plastic around trees is usually a bad idea for several reasons. It does keep down weeds for a while, but eventually you get enough dust/dirt/leaf debris in the rock to allow weeds and other seeds to grow anyway. The down side is that it keeps the tree roots from getting enough water, and also starves the ground of oxygen. An anaerobic environment is created, and the roots don't get any of the necessary O2. If you do use it, poke quite a few holes in it with a rake or pitchfork to allow water to seep in, either from rainfall or irrigation. The holes will be small enough that weeds aren't a problem, but you won't be killing a tree. Talk to a knowledgeable arborist (not just a gardner) and he will tell you how much different types of trees need to stay healthy.

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/24/21 03:18 PM

Yup. Ours gets tracked onto the patio and stains it. Twice a year I power wash the patio. Not a big enough issue for me to remove the DG, mine serves as a walkway and does a fine job.

Can you seal it to stop the tracking?

Originally Posted by Blank
Black plastic around trees is usually a bad idea for several reasons. It does keep down weeds for a while, but eventually you get enough dust/dirt/leaf debris in the rock to allow weeds and other seeds to grow anyway. The down side is that it keeps the tree roots from getting enough water, and also starves the ground of oxygen. An anaerobic environment is created, and the roots don't get any of the necessary O2. If you do use it, poke quite a few holes in it with a rake or pitchfork to allow water to seep in, either from rainfall or irrigation. The holes will be small enough that weeds aren't a problem, but you won't be killing a tree. Talk to a knowledgeable arborist (not just a gardner) and he will tell you how much different types of trees need to stay healthy.

I was actually thinking of poking the holes like you mentioned. Thanks for the heads up.

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/24/21 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by KRoyal

Can you seal it to stop the tracking?

Originally Posted by Blank

I was actually thinking of poking the holes like you mentioned. Thanks for the heads up.

Weed barrier material may be better, but still let’s a few weeds through.

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/24/21 08:26 PM

Ha, I’ve already laid it down and staked it down. I’m not pulling it and putting landscaping paper down. I’ve never had good results with that. Might as well put nothing down IMO that stuff is worthless. But I’ll punch a bunch of tiny holes in it.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/24/21 10:01 PM

Put on your golf shoes and walk around on it
Posted By: buckys

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/24/21 10:28 PM

I converted a place in my yard where we used to have a trampoline into a fire pit area that is filled with decomposed granite.

The biggest issue with respect to weeds is that organic material will seep into the DG and then stuff grows in that DG.

I rake my DG every couple of months to keep that at bay and more often now to collect acorns that land in it.

Enjoy your fire pit.
Posted By: Poppa

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/24/21 11:05 PM

weeds, thats what round up is for. good luck on the project

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/25/21 07:23 PM

Well it only squatted just a little rofl

Got that Cali Lean going on.

[Linked Image]

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/25/21 07:26 PM

Got it all laid out and wet so I can tamp it down but this POS tamper I bought keeps getting the DG caked up on it and I get about 2 ft and have to clean it off. At this rate it’ll take me a week to get it tamped. Gonna have to go rent a vibrating plate tamper.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/25/21 07:27 PM

Nice
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/25/21 07:36 PM

Coming along nicely.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/25/21 08:10 PM

Looking good Kyle
Posted By: MeanGreen85

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/25/21 10:37 PM

up I like it, looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/25/21 11:42 PM

Yes looks great!

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/25/21 11:45 PM

Thanks fellas. It’s getting there. Still got several hours of work ahead of me but I’m done for the day been going hard since 10am this morning.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/26/21 12:23 AM

Looking very good Kyle. I might do something similar.
Posted By: Poppa

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/26/21 02:05 AM

i like looking at other peoples hard work!!! looks good from my house!

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/26/21 02:56 AM

Spray the tamp with cooking spray

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/26/21 04:39 AM

The .... scratch

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/26/21 12:39 PM

That actually sounds like it would work. I went and rented the vibrating compactor. Was a pain in the [censored] to work with and almost as slow as the hand tamper maybe it was me but it was slow as hell.
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/26/21 03:34 PM

I had that crap when they first landscaped the yard. Rain washes it away easily. Hope you have better luck with it than I did.

Really nice to look at when it's all in place though.

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/26/21 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Gumbeaux
I had that crap when they first landscaped the yard. Rain washes it away easily. Hope you have better luck with it than I did.

Really nice to look at when it's all in place though.

Mixing in a little cement cuts down on the erosion.

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/26/21 04:27 PM

Looks good. Just need a pit and some Adirondack Chairs. (Red).

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/26/21 04:42 PM

Looks good. Just need a pit and some Adirondack Chairs. (Red).

Thanks, pit is going back in this evening and since this weekend is Halloween, I probably won't have enough time, but will be building 4 Adirondack chairs and some matching tables. Although red is my favorite color, will probably do a stain for a more natural color something close to the fence/deck stain. Haven't fully decided yet.

Or I might burn them and do a semi transparent stain over the top. I've done it several times and has a really cool effect.

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/26/21 04:44 PM

Made some signs for my wife and mother in law last year with that same technique and I really liked how the red popped on top of the black.

The green really isn’t bad either.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/26/21 05:09 PM

This^^^^

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/26/21 05:42 PM

My decomposed granite is around flagstone. I walk on flagstone not the granite. I was unaware it scratched floors.

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/27/21 01:55 AM

Got the ole rustic dry stack fire pit back up.

Now I need some chairs…

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/27/21 03:07 AM

Looks great, and the best part is less grass to mow and water. Have you thought about putting down flagstone or pavers?

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 10/27/21 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by DocHorton
Looks great, and the best part is less grass to mow and water. Have you thought about putting down flagstone or pavers?

Thanks possibly in the future for the flag stone, but not at the moment. Just want to enjoy it for a bit before I change it lol. We have so much shade in the back yard no grass really grows anyway besides in my garden area. This just make it much easier to deal with and looks way better than patchy grass.

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 11/11/21 11:44 PM

Got the chairs all built today. Even made a little small one for my 3 year old specially for him. Now tomorrow I have a LOT of finishing work to do.

[Linked Image]

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 11/11/21 11:50 PM

Very nice.

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 11/12/21 12:35 AM

Looks awesome. Did you move it???
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 11/12/21 12:41 AM

Looks great Kyle!

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 11/12/21 12:43 AM

Looks awesome. Did you move it???

Thanks fellas!!

Did I move what?

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 11/12/21 01:38 AM

I thought it incorporated the tree before.

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 11/12/21 01:47 AM

Oh yea it still does that was just a pic that I snapped off the deck when I was done.

Once I get them all sanded, burned, stained, and cleared tomorrow I’ll get some more pictures. Still need to get my River rocks for around the tree. Probably going to put some succulents in there as well.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 11/12/21 02:59 AM

Looks really sturdy but I'd round the corners people will think you later for it.

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 11/12/21 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by NORML as can be
Looks really sturdy but I'd round the corners people will think you later for it.

Router will be over every inch tomorrow. Already planned on that just sitting in them a little they’re definitely “sharp”.

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 11/12/21 07:02 PM

Well after a whole morning of sanding, God I hate sanding, finally getting to the staining part. Burning them was fun as always. Oh and installing the beverage holders, can’t forget those lol.

The red with the subtle black coming through makes it pop. Really like the results so far.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 11/12/21 07:31 PM

One down, dammit I need a paint sprayer.

[Linked Image]

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 11/12/21 07:35 PM

I get stuck in those chairs...which yes is more of a me problem.

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 11/12/21 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock

Lol not gonna lie first time I sat down in one of them I thought I was going to fall through the ground. They’re definitely low riders

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 11/12/21 08:06 PM

Lol not gonna lie first time I sat down in one of them I thought I was going to fall through the ground. They’re definitely low riders

Also easy to fall asleep in.

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 11/12/21 08:09 PM

It happens to the best of us. grin
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 11/12/21 11:00 PM

That's a knee knocker for sure I thought you was going to round off the corners?

Looks nice other than that up

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 11/12/21 11:27 PM

I couldn’t find a bit I liked so I just rounded them with the sander. They’re all smooth not sharp anymore.
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 11/13/21 02:52 PM

One down, dammit I need a paint sprayer.

[Linked Image]

Nice, I like that!
Posted By: huck18

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 11/18/21 01:36 PM

Yep. Use pea gravel.

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 11/22/21 10:25 PM

Finally done with the chairs and patio time to enjoy some fires with the family on some cold evenings.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: P_102

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 11/22/21 10:36 PM

Good job Kyle!

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 11/23/21 10:32 PM

Family enjoying it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 11/23/21 10:36 PM

Excellent job! I may have to borrow that genius on those chairs.

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 11/24/21 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by SouthWestIron
Excellent job! I may have to borrow that genius on those chairs.

I can share the plans with you if you’d like. Shoot me you email in a pm and I’ll forward you the plans.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 11/25/21 04:44 PM

Family enjoying it.

[Linked Image]

Great pic and great job! I too am one of those fellas that struggle to get out of those damn chairs. Liked them when I was younger though.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Fire Pit Decomposed Granite Patio - 11/28/21 12:39 PM

Turned out great, good job youngster cheers
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum