Texas Hunting Forum

Cutting metal

Posted By: tailchaser93

Cutting metal - 09/16/21 03:55 PM

I’m looking for something to cut through metal pipes that are around a half inch thick and full of concrete. Any ideas besides a cutting torch? Or is there a better tip for a cutting torch that would work? My boss said the torch didn’t get the metal hot enough and the small grinder worked but it took a long time and they went through a lot of wheels.
Posted By: tailchaser93

Re: Cutting metal - 09/16/21 03:57 PM

The pipes are buried under a concrete pad and they need to be cut off flush with the pad.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Cutting metal - 09/16/21 05:01 PM

Had to remove some steel bollards filled with concrete at DFW Airport. 6 inch pipe. The best way was a grinder going slow and taking small cuts. After pipe removed still had to grind and chip the concrete flush.
Posted By: huntingag01

Re: Cutting metal - 09/16/21 05:53 PM

maybe if you can fit a band saw on them.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Cutting metal - 09/16/21 06:20 PM

If the torch won't do it, you're using a tip too small. Get a number 3 tip. You may have to bump up th Acetylene to 10 psi and the Oxy to 25 psi. The number 3 tip will get it done at the proper angle. You do not want to be trying to blow kerf into the interior concrete, it will just blow back into your tip. The tip needs to be tangent to the circle.

Portaban will also get these cut off. Let the blade cool about halfway. Nothing wrong with a bit of water on the blade.
Posted By: GNTX

Re: Cutting metal - 09/16/21 07:33 PM

If the cuts don’t have to be pretty, I’d recommend a decent sized air chisel because it will handle both metal and concrete.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Cutting metal - 09/16/21 08:45 PM

Using a torch, be sure and wear a face shield and long sleeves. The reason is if you get the concrete floor too hot it will explode due to expansion of heating a small area. It will scare the heck out of you when it happens and it hurts. The port-a-band looks like the best and safest way to me.
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Cutting metal - 09/16/21 09:01 PM

If full of concrete, I can see how that could be a challenge. The concrete would soak heat like crazy making cutting with a torch difficult at best. I'd probably go after it with a grinder and cutoff wheel, then break off the concrete once the metal is severed.

Better yet tho, I'd call a concrete cutting contractor and hire the job out to them. They'll have a wet or diamond saw that would make short work of it. Even shorter since I wouldn't have to be doing it.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Cutting metal - 09/19/21 08:57 PM

I’ve got a diamond cutoff wheel for a large 7 inch grinder, it will handle both the metal and concrete. You won’t burn through as many blades as you would with a fiber blade. With my grinder you’ll still have 1/2-3/4 inch sticking up.

I hate using a torch with concrete due to the concrete exploding, but it can be done as JG stated above.
Posted By: Poppa

Re: Cutting metal - 09/19/21 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by tailchaser93
I’m looking for something to cut through metal pipes that are around a half inch thick and full of concrete. Any ideas besides a cutting torch? Or is there a better tip for a cutting torch that would work? My boss said the torch didn’t get the metal hot enough and the small grinder worked but it took a long time and they went through a lot of wheels.

plasma cutter?
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Cutting metal - 09/20/21 12:16 AM

DO like JG said, if you have a washing tip it would work even better. They are curved like a banana.
Posted By: Old Shakie

Re: Cutting metal - 09/20/21 01:01 AM

Talk to you welding supply dealer. I would think they have a grinding wheel made for that purpose. Ask the guys on https://www.weldingweb.com/ . That is where I go to get welding/cutting type answers.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum