Texas Hunting Forum

Bermuda seed

Posted By: Biscuit

Bermuda seed - 05/31/21 02:45 PM

Anyone have any luck with seed ? Have a few patches I’d like to fix not sure to go with sod or seed
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Bermuda seed - 05/31/21 02:47 PM

Sod, I don’t have patience for seed.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Bermuda seed - 05/31/21 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket

Yep. Haste makes waste.
Posted By: Lazyjack

Re: Bermuda seed - 05/31/21 03:02 PM

If you are going seed route, Big box stores carry patck kits. Kinda DYI hydroturf.
I reseeded some areas a few years ago, birds are a lot of the seed. Filled in ok. Just epensive bird seed.
Posted By: fishdfly

Re: Bermuda seed - 05/31/21 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner

Yep. Haste makes waste.

That really helps the man out with his question.

Silence is golden and children should be seen and not heard.

Seed will work fine.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Bermuda seed - 05/31/21 03:04 PM

If you seed water often.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Bermuda seed - 05/31/21 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by fishdfly
Originally Posted by bill oxner

Yep. Haste makes waste.

That really helps the man out with his question.

Silence is golden and children should be seen and not heard.

Seed will work fine.

Nice troll post...again.
Seed or sod will both work, depends on your patience level.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Bermuda seed - 05/31/21 03:21 PM

I've used the seed on small areas with mixed results. Break up the soil, drop the seed, cover with a little topsoil, and water often until it establishes.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Bermuda seed - 05/31/21 03:27 PM

Thanks fellas, I’m going to experiment with the seed just because I’m curious. Unfortunately my yard is so small it won’t take much
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Bermuda seed - 05/31/21 03:35 PM

[Linked Image]

I put this lawn in with a fertilizer spreader and leaf rake after I hauled in 12 loads of dirt to cover the rocky hill up.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Bermuda seed - 05/31/21 03:38 PM

Only time I’ve had seed work is when over seeding an established yard with good thatch.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Bermuda seed - 05/31/21 03:39 PM

which came first the grass or the seed?
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Bermuda seed - 05/31/21 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Biscuit
Anyone have any luck with seed ? Have a few patches I’d like to fix not sure to go with sod or seed

If it's sloped, and could run off, go with sod.

If it's fairly flat, and gets sun most of the day, seed is fine. I made a nice two acre yard with just seed. I've never bought a single square of sod in my life.

The hotter the weather, the better with Bermuda, provided you can water it when we are in summer. After one year of baby-ing infant Bermuda, just let it be, you cannot get rid of it. The month that makes the best Bermuda yard, historically is June. It is typically always warm, and we get some rain. At least in my part of the state.
Posted By: coachwhite34

Re: Bermuda seed - 05/31/21 03:45 PM

GCI Alpha Elite is expensive but worth it. I started from nothing. I scaryfied the dirt and put down this seed and it has gone from nothing to this in a month and a half. I set my sprinklers to run for 3 minutes every hour. It sprouted within a week. Hit it with a good fert program and it will be worth it.

[Linked Image]

Re: Bermuda seed - 05/31/21 03:48 PM

Beautiful yard. cheers
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Bermuda seed - 05/31/21 06:09 PM

I have some incredible Bermuda from seeds growing, but 'downhill' from where I broadcast the seeds! frown
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Bermuda seed - 05/31/21 06:25 PM

When i put bermuda seed out I watered it daily. Was very slow to grow...then someone said it needed to have water twice a day. May be coincidence but the additional water made a difference right away.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Bermuda seed - 05/31/21 06:35 PM

Keep it wet until it germinates.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Bermuda seed - 06/08/21 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by coachwhite34
GCI Alpha Elite is expensive but worth it. I started from nothing. I scaryfied the dirt and put down this seed and it has gone from nothing to this in a month and a half. I set my sprinklers to run for 3 minutes every hour. It sprouted within a week. Hit it with a good fert program and it will be worth it.

[Linked Image]

I ordered 25 lbs and spread last week. We shall see.

Re: Bermuda seed - 06/08/21 01:20 PM

Awesome. cheers
Posted By: Derek

Re: Bermuda seed - 06/08/21 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by coachwhite34

[Linked Image]

I ordered 25 lbs and spread last week. We shall see.

The Maya that is in that mix is pretty meh. But the Blackjack and Riviera will dominate and I think you'll be happy with those.
Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: Bermuda seed - 06/08/21 02:41 PM

Can I seed right after killing the weeds with herbicide? Say right after the patches turn brown and I pull out the dead stuff, or do I have to wait a few weeks?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Bermuda seed - 06/08/21 02:59 PM

Depends on what you sprayed it with I would guess. I have some stuff I spray my gravel drive edges and fence lines with that supposedly sterilizes the dirt for 6+ months.

Re: Bermuda seed - 06/08/21 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Gravytrain
Can I seed right after killing the weeds with herbicide? Say right after the patches turn brown and I pull out the dead stuff, or do I have to wait a few weeks?

Depends on what you used. If you used 24D yes, should be fine if you used glyphosate I'd wait a few weeks.

Re: Bermuda seed - 06/08/21 03:44 PM

Depends on what you used. If you used 24D yes, should be fine if you used glyphosate I'd wait a few weeks.

It's the opposite. 24D you need to wait 2-3 weeks. If you use 41% Gly you can spray it in the morning and seed that afternoon. But you want to make sure you use the correct Gly. The one like Season long has pre emergent in it. That wouldn't work out well trying to over seed with.

Re: Bermuda seed - 06/08/21 04:15 PM

Done for the day. I out- did myself this morning replacing the sod in the divots made by the down tree limb.
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: Bermuda seed - 06/08/21 04:33 PM

Bermuda is easy to grow from seed but requires a lot of water. The patch in a can stuff usually isn't Bermuda but will grow fast. It will not match color and texture of the grass around it. Loosen the top layer of the soil with a cheap cross-tine hand tiller before application unless it's a GIANT spot. Most of my yard is St. Augustine which nearly has to be put in as sod. When I worked on the Board of Directors for the local youth baseball league we used Gulf Ryegrass but it is annual and temperamental to temps over 90-ish. It grows quickly and thick but stops at about 4" or less in height.

Re: Bermuda seed - 06/08/21 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Derek

It's the opposite. 24D you need to wait 2-3 weeks. If you use 41% Gly you can spray it in the morning and seed that afternoon. But you want to make sure you use the correct Gly. The one like Season long has pre emergent in it. That wouldn't work out well trying to over seed with.

Yelp, I messed up. With glyphosate you have to be careful of the long term products because of the suffocatent used but can’t think of the long term one off my head
Posted By: GNTX

Re: Bermuda seed - 06/15/21 06:22 PM

For patching small areas, I bought a plug cutter and cut plugs near the edges in places that aren’t very visible. Cut a plug in the bare spot and swap the plug with grass in the bare spot and the bare plug back to the other spot. Somewhat like they do golf course greens to move the hole around.

Re: Bermuda seed - 06/15/21 06:52 PM

I did something similar. I used plugs as well as runners.

Re: Bermuda seed - 06/15/21 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by GNTX
For patching small areas, I bought a plug cutter and cut plugs near the edges in places that aren’t very visible. Cut a plug in the bare spot and swap the plug with grass in the bare spot and the bare plug back to the other spot. Somewhat like they do golf course greens to move the hole around.

I have a Pro Plugger. Works awesome. I'm about to plug the hell out of some common patches with my hybrid and see if I can choke it out.

Re: Bermuda seed - 06/15/21 08:57 PM

Something is wrong with my TV. Just lost the signal again.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Bermuda seed - 06/15/21 09:02 PM

Batten down the hatches Bill
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Bermuda seed - 06/19/21 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by oldoak2000
I have some incredible Bermuda from seeds growing, but 'downhill' from where I broadcast the seeds! frown

I feel your pain. Mine got washed out twice with heavy storms. The creeks are a lush green now.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum