Texas Hunting Forum

squash

Posted By: Wilhunt

squash - 05/04/21 12:24 AM

My small squash has started to turn brown on the end. Suggestions from the brain trust as to what to do to correct.

Thanks!
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: squash - 05/04/21 12:28 AM

My guess is squash borers.

Posted By: 603Country

Re: squash - 05/04/21 12:43 AM

Let the bugs have it. I hate squash. Food substitute, like Kale and Tofu...

Re: squash - 05/04/21 12:52 AM

I didn't care for them growing up. My momma boiled them until they looked exactly like they sounded. Squash.

I learned to teat them when they were stir fried or in a couple of casseroles.

The only reason my neighbors lock their doors is that they don't need anymore..
Posted By: soooo

Re: squash - 05/04/21 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Wilhunt
My small squash has started to turn brown on the end. Suggestions from the brain trust as to what to do to correct.

Thanks!

Google blossom end rot

Re: squash - 05/04/21 04:03 PM

One size does not fit all said the goose to the gander.

Posted By: Chickenman

Re: squash - 05/04/21 06:16 PM

The squash was not pollinated.

Get a Q-tip or an artist's paintbrush and go out and check your squash plants every day. When a female blossom (one with a mini squash at its base) first opens, it is time to pollinate it. Find a male blossom (one with a bare stem) and pick up some of its pollen on your swab. Carry the pollen to the female flower and smear the pollen around in the center of the flower. The squash then will develop normally.

The other option is to bring in more bees. I try to do this by growing more flowing plants. Bees come to my willows anyway but I figure you can never have too many ground level flowering plants.

Best of luck!
Posted By: Poppa

Re: squash - 05/04/21 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Chickenman
The squash was not pollinated.

Get a Q-tip or an artist's paintbrush and go out and check your squash plants every day. When a female blossom (one with a mini squash at its base) first opens, it is time to pollinate it. Find a male blossom (one with a bare stem) and pick up some of its pollen on your swab. Carry the pollen to the female flower and smear the pollen around in the center of the flower. The squash then will develop normally.

The other option is to bring in more bees. I try to do this by growing more flowing plants. Bees come to my willows anyway but I figure you can never have too many ground level flowering plants.

Best of luck!

nice info!
© 2022 Texas Hunting Forum