Texas Hunting Forum

Wood burning stove for inside ideas

Posted By: CoyoteHill

Wood burning stove for inside ideas - 03/05/21 03:42 PM

Last year, I wanted to install a wood burning stove in my living room to keep the house warm in case we had a hard winter and the electricity went out. But during the house remodel, the wife upgraded the cabinets, the tile floors, the bathroom fixtures, all new kitchen appliances, new washer dryer, you get the idea... So when the electricity did go and and it was cold, she wanted to know where the wood burning stove was. I pointed to all of the upgrades she made and that pretty much silenced that. So this year, my plan is to have a wood burning stove in place by fall.
My question is do y'all have a good place to look for one, any brand that you recommend or one to stay away from? I have a corner in my living room that I'm going to tile/heat shield and run the pipe up through the ceiling or 90 it through the exterior wall. I appreciate any advice.
Posted By: B-radder

Re: Wood burning stove for inside ideas - 03/06/21 08:31 PM

Anything made by lopi is a excellent choice
Posted By: glens

Re: Wood burning stove for inside ideas - 03/06/21 09:13 PM

Had a Vermont Casting DEFIANT WOOD BURNING STOVE, Double Door , glass see thur Doors in my 2800 square foot log cabin and it would heat the whole place with ceiling fans blowing in rooms on low. Ran for 11 years until we sold the place. Probably still a heating if needed.
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Wood burning stove for inside ideas - 03/06/21 10:16 PM

Haven't seen one in years but KING was a big name in wood heaters. Thermostat control. A couple of very important things to remember with the heaters, 1. burn very dry wood, needs to have been cut for at least a year. 2. Give the flue a good cleaning every year. With the low temps most heaters burn at you will be creating a lot of creosote in the flue.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Wood burning stove for inside ideas - 03/06/21 10:30 PM

Soapstone stoves take longer to heat up but retain their heat the best. A fan is good for when you do have power but the stove will radiates heat without one also.
HearthStone makes nice soapstone stoves but they are pricey.

We have an old Earth Stove and it has served us well. If we get a new one it will have soapstone sides.
Posted By: drag13honda

Re: Wood burning stove for inside ideas - 03/07/21 06:50 AM

Following along. I also have a corner in my living room I am looking to install a wood burning stove in so this will be good info for me as well.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Wood burning stove for inside ideas - 03/07/21 02:21 PM

Following also, we are going to replace a 25 year old insert. We are looking to upgrade to something that gives off more heat and used less wood.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Wood burning stove for inside ideas - 03/08/21 05:00 PM

if you are ever down in central Texas, swing by Georgetown Fireplace and Patio LINK ... They have been in business serving central Texas for decades and really know their stuff. We bought a fireplace insert, Earth Stove brand, about 36 years ago, from them and used it until we sold that home. We bought our current fireplace insert (built in) through them when we build out current home in '99. You might even be able to call to get advise on which units to lean towards or shy away from.

Re: Wood burning stove for inside ideas - 03/08/21 06:00 PM

I've looked up everything listed so far and I really like the soapstone ones. I appreciate everyone's input! I'll keep researching any ideas y'all throw out. Thank you!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Wood burning stove for inside ideas - 03/08/21 06:42 PM

I would look at the pellet stoves with a battery back up for when the power goes out. The backup is basically a set of batteries and an inverter.

Re: Wood burning stove for inside ideas - 03/09/21 01:08 AM

I've thought about that, but I have land that has so much oak wood laying around. Wood supply is not an issue for me.
Posted By: pdr55

Re: Wood burning stove for inside ideas - 03/11/21 04:45 PM

This is the one you need.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Wood burning stove for inside ideas - 03/12/21 10:02 PM

Think I'm gonna jump on a Jotul wood burning stove, check them out.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Wood burning stove for inside ideas - 03/12/21 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by pdr55
This is the one you need.
[Linked Image]

Cool. That is a little cistern on the right drop-down. Gives you warm water.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Wood burning stove for inside ideas - 04/22/21 05:46 PM

Soapstone will hold the heat much longer than any all metal stove. Pellets are great if you have power but you have to buy the pellets.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Wood burning stove for inside ideas - 04/22/21 07:49 PM

My house is 1600 sqft I live in grayson county and had the brunt of the winter storm here in Texas. My hearthstone stove kept the house between 65 and 70 power was out not rolling but out for 48 hours I highly recommend it. I've got the heat shield, blower kit etc. Good unit not cheap sure ain't lite. But I'd buy it again.

Now it's not what is actually called a wood burning stove. Like someone pictured above. It's a firebox.
Posted By: cm250

Re: Wood burning stove for inside ideas - 05/02/21 06:44 PM

Have an Ashley wood stove that’s 38’years old and still works great. Have the blower kit and will sometimes have to crack a window if they get to rambunctious fireing it up ..... house is about 1900 sq ft..
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Wood burning stove for inside ideas - 05/31/21 03:50 PM

If you have gas or propane, get a couple Dearborns for other rooms.

unbeatable.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum