Texas Hunting Forum

Sheetrock repair

Posted By: CharlieCTx

Sheetrock repair - 03/02/21 01:09 AM

This is where boy #2’s towel rack used to be mounted...

I’m good on patching/covering a hole, but how do I reinforce it to be able to support a towel rack again?

[Linked Image]

Thanks
Charlie
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Sheetrock repair - 03/02/21 01:17 AM

Call the man!
Posted By: pdr55

Re: Sheetrock repair - 03/02/21 03:12 PM

Make a nice decorative backer board with routed edges at least 6” wider than the towel rack and screw that into the wall studs. Mount the towel rack to the decorative board.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Sheetrock repair - 03/02/21 03:29 PM

Help from me would be like help from General George Armstrong Custer fighting Indians.
Posted By: Blank

Re: Sheetrock repair - 03/02/21 03:35 PM

Cut the hole out nice and square, slip a rectangular piece of plywood in the hole, and attach with drywall screws on both sides. Then fill with another piece of drywall all buttered up and finish flush. Finally, sand, dry and paint. New towel rack will drill screws into the plywood and not need a hollow-wall anchor. One day fix!!
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Sheetrock repair - 03/02/21 03:42 PM

We had the same issue as you after a few years. This is what I did to all the towel rack in our house, plus you can hang more towels on it. I just nailed it to the studs wherever they were. This rack won’t be going anywhere.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: topwater13

Re: Sheetrock repair - 03/02/21 03:44 PM

I can never get the texture to match.
Posted By: soonersorlaters

Re: Sheetrock repair - 03/02/21 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by pdr55
Make a nice decorative backer board with routed edges at least 6” wider than the towel rack and screw that into the wall studs. Mount the towel rack to the decorative board.

^^^^^^^^This right here^^^^^^^

Using this method, you don't even have to worry about patching those holes either. You get that backer board screwed into the studs, you won't need to deal with it again.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Sheetrock repair - 03/02/21 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by soonersorlaters
Originally Posted by pdr55

^^^^^^^^This right here^^^^^^^

Using this method, you don't even have to worry about patching those holes either. You get that backer board screwed into the studs, you won't need to deal with it again.

up

Re: Sheetrock repair - 03/02/21 05:13 PM

That is what I do and stuff like that.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Sheetrock repair - 03/02/21 06:02 PM

Patch the holes. Move the rack up or down a few inches and remount.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Sheetrock repair - 03/02/21 06:08 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

I thought of the decorative board cover thing, but the anal part of me would always hear "you just covered the holes" everytime I walked by it, plus I'd have to get the router out, probably don't have a good bit, need to plan for something to go wrong with the staining process and so on... I did look at Lowes/HD for a board already done, but didn't find anything.

I'm going to try Blank's suggestion as I considered that and found a YouTube video of a guy doing the same thing. This will also leave a smaller area having to re-texture/match given most of the patch will be covered by the rack vs moving it up or down.

I'll post a pic of my finished work for your critique.

Thanks
Charlie
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Sheetrock repair - 03/02/21 08:01 PM

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=towel%20rack
Posted By: Cochise

Re: Sheetrock repair - 03/04/21 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Blank
Cut the hole out nice and square, slip a rectangular piece of plywood in the hole, and attach with drywall screws on both sides. Then fill with another piece of drywall all buttered up and finish flush. Finally, sand, dry and paint. New towel rack will drill screws into the plywood and not need a hollow-wall anchor. One day fix!!

This
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Sheetrock repair - 03/04/21 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner

No you don't, you call the "man".
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Sheetrock repair - 03/04/21 04:51 PM

A few YouTube videos on this topic...

Towel rack drywall repair

Re: Sheetrock repair - 03/04/21 06:24 PM

See? You're welcome.

Posted By: kmon11

Re: Sheetrock repair - 03/04/21 07:55 PM

Blank;s method works. I patched 6 hole in the walls from door knobs making holes in the walls in this house when I bought it. Doesn't take long and they are still holding and probably will be when I am gone. It works
Posted By: GNTX

Re: Sheetrock repair - 03/05/21 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Blank

Advantage to this technique is it is good for patching larger areas that have been broken or something ran into the wall. Just scale up the size of the square patch. I have used this method several times.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Sheetrock repair - 03/05/21 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308
Originally Posted by bill oxner

No you don't, you call the "man".

He's right you know.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum