Texas Hunting Forum

PVC disaster

Posted By: 603Country

PVC disaster - 03/01/21 10:49 PM

I’ve been working my way slowly through all the damage from the freeze. The only thing left that isn’t tree trimming is the PVC piping in the barn and barn workshop. And what a disaster it is. The piping isn’t cracked, but shattered is a better word for it. This will take some effort, and patience.

Sure wish I could replace it with PEX, but I don’t know diddly about PEX. That would be more freeze resistant, I think.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: PVC disaster - 03/01/21 11:11 PM

I just finished my outside PVC. I doubled the shutoff valves. It was difficult to find anything related to PVC in the stores. I looked for pole to turn off the valves without bending over. Guess I was not the only old man working PVC. bang
Posted By: PMK

Re: PVC disaster - 03/01/21 11:28 PM

PEX will be much more expensive, but it will be much less likely to have issues the next time around depending on how low the temp goes. There are plenty of Youtube videos on how to use and connect. Actually it was pretty easy after buying all the fittings needed.

I had never worked with PEX until I needed to add an additional water facet behind the house. I did it all myself running from an existing exterior faucet that I put a splitter on (so I still had water at that location) and ran the PEX down to the ground and followed the foundation around 3 corners then up to where it could be accessed from the deck, where I put in another faucet. If memory serves me, about 90 feet that is all laying on the ground along the foundation, totally exposed. Before the hard freeze, I merely disconnected at the permanent faucet tie in and laid that end down on the ground, opened the faucet at the end to allow the water to drain as much as possible.

What is your concern with converting to PEX other than not familiar working with it?
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: PVC disaster - 03/02/21 12:04 AM

Simply because I am old school, I would go back with PVC with a complete redo of the pipes. Set up a system that is easy to drain and use compressed air to blow out the water.
Posted By: Big_Country01

Re: PVC disaster - 03/02/21 12:43 AM

Pex is easy, you just have to buy the right fittings and crimp tool.

Re: PVC disaster - 03/02/21 01:01 AM

Since I already have a good portion of the fittings I need, I’m taking dogcatcher’s approach. I’ll redo the pvc and cpvc and add drains at the low spots. My biggest problem with the project is my lack of desire to actually do it. That is counterbalanced by my not wanting to pay the hundreds of dollars it would cost to have the plumber do it all.

In general, I hate plumbing fixes because there is no stinking way I can get everything I need but don’t have in one trip to the hardware store. This will surely be a two-tripper or maybe even a three-tripper.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: PVC disaster - 03/02/21 01:09 AM

I will come and help you, not that you need it.

Re: PVC disaster - 03/02/21 01:55 AM

Great offer, but I have it covered. During the big freeze we fed our neighbor and let him shower when his water was out of service. He’s a very capable guy and would be insulted if I didn’t let him help.

Re: PVC disaster - 03/02/21 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by 603Country
Great offer, but I have it covered. During the big freeze we fed our neighbor and let him shower when his water was out of service. He’s a very capable guy and would be insulted if I didn’t let him help.

Your lucky day.
Posted By: soooo

Re: PVC disaster - 03/02/21 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by dogcatcher
Simply because I am old school, I would go back with PVC with a complete redo of the pipes. Set up a system that is easy to drain and use compressed air to blow out the water.

up
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: PVC disaster - 03/02/21 02:24 AM

up
Posted By: hopalong

Re: PVC disaster - 03/02/21 08:41 AM

when you go to put in the low drains be sure to also have one at the highest spot possible, faucet, valve etc. so you can be sure it drains completely then no need to use air to blow it out.

Re: PVC disaster - 03/02/21 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong
when you go to put in the low drains be sure to also have one at the highest spot possible, faucet, valve etc. so you can be sure it drains completely then no need to use air to blow it out.

X2 My water softener was a problem in that area.

Re: PVC disaster - 03/02/21 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong

agree
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: PVC disaster - 03/02/21 06:05 PM

Another vote for PEX.

Re: PVC disaster - 03/02/21 06:14 PM

I got all the PVC and CPVC pipe and fittings this morning. And the CPVC glue. Tomorrow the fun begins, along with several trips (probably) to the hardware store.

This afternoon I’ll drive the tractor down to the old guy’s house and clean up his yard - as payment for the Live Oak. That’ll save him some money.

Re: PVC disaster - 03/02/21 06:38 PM

The sealant was not to be found in the stores in my area. I borrowed a can from a neighbor. He is first on my list for home grown tomatoes.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: PVC disaster - 03/02/21 08:02 PM

Let me know when you are ready, if I can I will be there to tell you what you are doing right and wrong and drink your beer while I am critiquing your work. clap.

Re: PVC disaster - 03/02/21 08:02 PM

Turn on all the faucets and leave them open while it's cold. Unless you have a sump where the whole pipe is full of water there won't be any breaks.

Re: PVC disaster - 03/02/21 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by soooo
Turn on all the faucets and leave them open while it's cold. Unless you have a sump where the whole pipe is full of water there won't be any breaks.

Glad you noticed.
Posted By: Espy

Re: PVC disaster - 03/02/21 09:55 PM

603 I think your close to Marlin. Plex is great. I plumed a tiny house and the pipes froze once defrosted it did not one leak. If you ever need any help just holler.

Re: PVC disaster - 03/02/21 11:12 PM

Thanks espy, but I’m going with what I know this time. Adding low point drains. Probably kidding myself, but I do think I have everything I need - except enthusiasm.

Re: PVC disaster - 03/02/21 11:13 PM

Love happy endings.
Posted By: Pootie

Re: PVC disaster - 03/02/21 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by PMK

I had never worked with PEX until I needed to add an additional water facet behind the house. I did it all myself running from an existing exterior faucet that I put a splitter on (so I still had water at that location) and ran the PEX down to the ground and followed the foundation around 3 corners then up to where it could be accessed from the deck, where I put in another faucet. If memory serves me, about 90 feet that is all laying on the ground along the foundation, totally exposed.

Doesn't PEX degrade in sunlight?

Re: PVC disaster - 03/03/21 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Pootie
Originally Posted by PMK

I had never worked with PEX until I needed to add an additional water facet behind the house. I did it all myself running from an existing exterior faucet that I put a splitter on (so I still had water at that location) and ran the PEX down to the ground and followed the foundation around 3 corners then up to where it could be accessed from the deck, where I put in another faucet. If memory serves me, about 90 feet that is all laying on the ground along the foundation, totally exposed.

Doesn't PEX degrade in sunlight?

dunno yet ... it's been out there for 6-7 years now and no issues. the majority of it is along a north facing portion of the foundation with only a couple short stretches on the west side which is pretty shaded in the afternoon.
Posted By: Pootie

Re: PVC disaster - 03/03/21 10:18 PM

I have not used PEX yet, but there are cautions about storing it inside for this reason. They don't say anything about how soon or how big the problem is. Wishing you good luck and long life for your PEX.

Re: PVC disaster - 03/03/21 11:22 PM

Mine inside is 46 years old. Only problem I had was outside, mostly around my water softener. I got rid of my water softener . They are mostly a wimmings thing anyway.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: PVC disaster - 03/04/21 04:54 AM

Y’all just insulate whatever pipe method you choose. No gaps. Do it right and keep an eye on it throughout the year. You’ll NEVER have issues here in Texas.

It doesn’t matter which one. Copper, pvc, pex, heck even cpvc(as much as I frikkin HATE that stuff, just insulate it and it’s fine

Re: PVC disaster - 03/04/21 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Bullfrog
Y’all just insulate whatever pipe method you choose. No gaps. Do it right and keep an eye on it throughout the year. You’ll NEVER have issues here in Texas.

It doesn’t matter which one. Copper, pvc, pex, heck even cpvc(as much as I frikkin HATE that stuff, just insulate it and it’s fine

As a noticing type, I couldn't help but notice how wrong that is.

Re: PVC disaster - 03/04/21 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by soooo
Originally Posted by Bullfrog

As a noticing type, I couldn't help but notice how wrong that is.

Yep. He left out galvanized pipe. Jack of all trades. Master of none.

Re: PVC disaster - 03/04/21 02:44 PM

I do plan to insulate the pipes when they are finally redone and holding water. The PVC piping is about done. Today is CPVC day, and a lot of the shattered piping is in awkward places. And when I say “shattered”, that really is what I mean. I have never seen PVC piping laying on the floor in pieces, like it exploded. Prior to this, the break might be in just one place and easy to fix.

I went to teach tennis yesterday with blue hands. That glue is hard to get off. Any tips for glue removal from the hands?

Re: PVC disaster - 03/04/21 03:01 PM

Insulation is good for pipes in an outer wall of a house as long as there is heat in the house. All insulation does is slow down the heat transfer. In an event like we just had insulated pipes in a barn will still freeze and burst if there is water in them. Rodents like insulation for nest building.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: PVC disaster - 03/04/21 08:24 PM

I have 2 copper pipes that run about 6-8’ exposed in my attic. Years ago when I found them, I used the black foam insulation, then put some pink insulation over the top. It has survived all cold snaps since we moved here in ‘91. I also ran hot and cold faucets during last cold event.
Posted By: Lazyjack

Re: PVC disaster - 03/05/21 12:04 AM

I do plan to insulate the pipes when they are finally redone and holding water. The PVC piping is about done. Today is CPVC day, and a lot of the shattered piping is in awkward places. And when I say “shattered”, that really is what I mean. I have never seen PVC piping laying on the floor in pieces, like it exploded. Prior to this, the break might be in just one place and easy to fix.

I went to teach tennis yesterday with blue hands. That glue is hard to get off. Any tips for glue removal from the hands?

Usually after a day or two, it peels off my hand with soap and water. My guess is my hands have shed enough dead skin for the glue to peel. On a positive note, you hands will be pink and soft.

Re: PVC disaster - 03/05/21 01:36 AM

Skin generally loses cells on a regular basis.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum