Texas Hunting Forum

Gas fireplace replacement

Posted By: Biscuit

Gas fireplace replacement - 02/17/21 11:59 PM

What are my options to replace this with something that burns wood ? I read the chimney isn’t adequate for most wood burning options. I also read a guy replaced his with a wood pellet option .

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Gas fireplace replacement - 02/18/21 06:31 AM

Is there a chimney or just a box on an exterior wall?
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Gas fireplace replacement - 02/19/21 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by BigPig
Is there a chimney or just a box on an exterior wall?

I’m betting box with small vent and Electric on/off switch
Posted By: ETXFIREMAN 1

Re: Gas fireplace replacement - 02/19/21 02:34 AM

http://www.leonardsstoneandfireplace.net/

Check with this company in Burleson. They’ve been super helpful answering our questions even while they’ve been closed due to weather.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Gas fireplace replacement - 02/19/21 02:59 PM

if you have a conventional looking chimney you can use triple wall stainless pipe and do a fireplace insert stove, woodburner or pellet.

did a bunch in colorado before they made it illegal to install wood burners. just be sure the company installing knows what they are doing and make dam sure it is triple wall and not double.

I put one similar to this in my house in colorado, heated about 1,800sf very well. be sure you get one with fan forced air circulation, even if power goes out it will still move some air without the fan.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Gas fireplace replacement - 02/20/21 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by hopalong
if you have a conventional looking chimney you can use triple wall stainless pipe and do a fireplace insert stove, woodburner or pellet.

did a bunch in colorado before they made it illegal to install wood burners. just be sure the company installing knows what they are doing and make dam sure it is triple wall and not double.

I put one similar to this in my house in colorado, heated about 1,800sf very well. be sure you get one with fan forced air circulation, even if power goes out it will still move some air without the fan.

[Linked Image]

I really like the looks of that.

Re: Gas fireplace replacement - 02/20/21 02:33 PM

[Linked Image]

Here’s what comes out of the roof

Re: Gas fireplace replacement - 02/20/21 02:33 PM

Here’s how it looks in the attic [Linked Image]

Re: Gas fireplace replacement - 02/20/21 02:36 PM

What do you guys think , feasible to replace with a wood or pellet option?

Re: Gas fireplace replacement - 02/20/21 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Biscuit
What do you guys think , feasible to replace with a wood or pellet option?

yes with triple wall stainless piping you can, min. of 24" square metal for pipe pass thru to keep it away from wood in attic and roof.

get 3 bids min. and be sure you get a scope of work to be done describing materials and clearances.
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: Gas fireplace replacement - 02/20/21 03:04 PM

Depending on the model you go with you may need to buildout a hearth too if there is a chance of embers hitting the floor.

Here's a site I've been looking at. You can read the installation guides and they'll tell you the details on framing clearances and flue reqs.

https://www.lopistoves.com/products/pellet-stoves/premium-steel-inserts/

Re: Gas fireplace replacement - 02/20/21 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Paluxy
Depending on the model you go with you may need to buildout a hearth too if there is a chance of embers hitting the floor.

Here's a site I've been looking at. You can read the installation guides and they'll tell you the details on framing clearances and flue reqs.

https://www.lopistoves.com/products/pellet-stoves/premium-steel-inserts/

up
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Gas fireplace replacement - 02/20/21 05:25 PM

that thing looks great. bet it throws some heat too
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum