Texas Hunting Forum

Reloading Bench Build

Posted By: Ol Thumper

Reloading Bench Build - 02/11/21 06:30 AM

I thought somebody might get an idea or two from showing the slow progress of my new reloading bench grin I’m just working on it a little here and their but I’ll update it as thee build progress’s. The frame is built out of 2” 11g square tubing and each end will have a 12” bolt on frame extension to be bolted on after its in its new home to allow for a 8’ butcher block top to be bolted down. I’ll post updates as they happen,Here is the main frame and the leveling feet that will be under it. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 1955

Re: Reloading Bench Build - 02/11/21 01:09 PM

Yes please keep us updated, I may just learn something here ! smile
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Reloading Bench Build - 02/11/21 01:55 PM

Cool bench. cheers
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Reloading Bench Build - 02/11/21 04:46 PM

That is going to be sturdy! Looking forward to progress updates on this one.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Reloading Bench Build - 02/11/21 08:54 PM

[Linked Image]

Those look a lot like the ones JG built for me and my room. JG just welded a plate with a nut on it to mine and I just bought the legs and threaded them into the nut...which worked out well.

I love these benches and the only thing I’d do different is the top, I think butcher block I might’ve liked better...these seem to be a bit more “fragile” than I would’ve preferred.

Re: Reloading Bench Build - 02/11/21 09:56 PM

Looks great Judd!! Yeah those Formica tops are pretty easy to mess up, been their myself before.

I’ve learned the do’s n don’ts of benches that I like over the years of building over a dozen for myself so this one will get a few firsts with a huge built in toolbox under the countertop. Should be interesting to see it come together.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Reloading Bench Build - 02/11/21 10:00 PM

Nice one sir
Posted By: toddjohnson

Re: Reloading Bench Build - 02/12/21 01:32 AM

Looking good
Posted By: 1955

Re: Reloading Bench Build - 02/12/21 02:01 AM

Very nice sir👍
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: Reloading Bench Build - 02/15/21 07:03 AM

That’s bada$$ thumper. I did 4x4 and 2x4’s with 3/4” Plywood on the top underneath the 2x4’s. My plan for when we start our dream house in a couple years is to have an all metal bench with threaded holes every 2”. A smith I new in New Mexico did this then put everything on removable plates. I thought that was slick and told myself when I get my dream house I’m going to have one just like it.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Reloading Bench Build - 02/15/21 08:39 PM

57 to 7 eek2 that's a blowout!

Re: Reloading Bench Build - 02/15/21 09:09 PM

The shops full of equipment or I’d be working on it today, hopefully I’ll get a little more done next week.

Re: Reloading Bench Build - 03/02/21 10:24 PM

I had a little time to add a couple shelves to it today, it’s not much but it’s slowly getting their. I did get the toolbox in that’s going to go under the main part of the bench so hopefully another afternoon of tinkering and it will be ready for powder coating and then putting it all together. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Reloading Bench Build - 03/03/21 12:34 AM

I like that a lot.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Reloading Bench Build - 03/03/21 01:04 AM

That looks good I’m not good with metal so I used wood on mine.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Reloading Bench Build - 03/03/21 04:21 AM

I like the burnt wood look KRoyal!! I can build things out of wood but my bread n butter Is metal fabbing so if I can use it that’s what everything I have is made out of. I’m going to fire up the CNC and add some type of cool designs on some part of it, I haven’t put much thought into that yet though.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Reloading Bench Build - 03/03/21 05:05 AM

After looking at the pics of Kyle, Thumper, and Judd's setups, it is clear that I need to up my game. trout

Re: Reloading Bench Build - 03/03/21 06:20 AM

What are you guys running for extra lighting above your bench’s? I’m trying to decide what I’m going to use, I’m thinking about just adding a few more can lights in the ceiling and running 5K daylight bulbs in them so they match the rest of the lights in the house but I’m the fence still.

Re: Reloading Bench Build - 03/03/21 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
I like the burnt wood look KRoyal!! I can build things out of wood but my bread n butter Is metal fabbing so if I can use it that’s what everything I have is made out of. I’m going to fire up the CNC and add some type of cool designs on some part of it, I haven’t put much thought into that yet though.

I really like the burnt wood look too, I do it on everything I can get my hands on LOL.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
After looking at the pics of Kyle, Thumper, and Judd's setups, it is clear that I need to up my game. trout

Thanks Mike! I'm really enjoying the new setup over my old one.

What are you guys running for extra lighting above your bench’s? I’m trying to decide what I’m going to use, I’m thinking about just adding a few more can lights in the ceiling and running 5K daylight bulbs in them so they match the rest of the lights in the house but I’m the fence still.

These are what I'm using all strung together, night and day difference in my garage after install. I need to get a couple more right above my benches though.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQPCT6Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Re: Reloading Bench Build - 03/03/21 05:56 PM

This is in the house so hanging lights aren’t an option, I have LED lights like those in the shops and they do work really good.

Re: Reloading Bench Build - 03/03/21 06:54 PM

This is in the house so hanging lights aren’t an option, I have LED lights like those in the shops and they do work really good.

Ahh gotcha, I'd just do can lights then.

Re: Reloading Bench Build - 03/03/21 09:06 PM

I fabbed up the bolt on extensions on the ends so it’s getting pretty close to get glossed up. I sat the top on it and the T Tracks to figure out where I want them put. I need to weld on a few tabs for the backsplash to bolt up to and she will be ready to roll. [Linked Image]
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Reloading Bench Build - 03/04/21 04:42 PM

I built this one years ago out of 4x4s and 2x12s.
Works great. Shells drop through PVC to the buckets.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Reloading Bench Build - 05/24/21 07:10 PM

Ok it’s been a while but I finally got the bench’s finished, Jason cut the channels for the T Tracks in this one and I got it bolted down. I just need to get the tool box installed under them and put the last small piece of T Tracks in the end of this one and I can claim victory.. The other one on the opposite side of the room is identical to this one minus the T Tracks. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Reloading Bench Build - 05/24/21 08:07 PM

Looks great...!!!
Posted By: Judd

Re: Reloading Bench Build - 05/24/21 08:42 PM

Looks nice Thump!
Posted By: jrfan

Re: Reloading Bench Build - 05/24/21 08:48 PM

Here’s ours. As big as we could make it for the space. Had the butcher block made at work and inlayed with my brand. Works pretty good. [Linked Image]

Re: Reloading Bench Build - 05/25/21 04:19 AM

I like the logo on your bench, looks great up
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Reloading Bench Build - 05/25/21 04:25 AM

Did you ever get the tool box under the bench?

Re: Reloading Bench Build - 05/25/21 04:35 AM

No sir not yet, their still at the shop but I hope to get them home the first day it’s not raining. I thought it might stop long enough today but it never did.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Reloading Bench Build - 05/27/21 02:44 AM

Man these are impressive
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Reloading Bench Build - 05/27/21 02:59 AM

In hindsight I wish I’d made mine bigger.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Reloading Bench Build - 05/27/21 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Tbar
In hindsight I wish I’d made mine bigger.

Ditto
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum