Texas Hunting Forum

Another "must have" tool for the DIY'er

Posted By: Texas Dan

Another "must have" tool for the DIY'er - 02/03/21 05:15 PM

A heat gun like the ones used to heat shrink tubing and anything else where heat is needed to make a repair. Just used my Harbor Freight Heat Gun that I purchased a few months ago to use on heat shrink to repair the connector/leak on my pump-up sprayer. There was no way I was going to get the hard rubber hose to release from the connector without getting it to soften. Just cutting it at the connector would have made it worse because there wouldn't have been any hose left to pull off the small, hard rubber piece that would have remained on the connector and coupling. Don't know I why I waited decades before buying one.
Posted By: Ktexas14

Re: Another "must have" tool for the DIY'er - 02/03/21 05:35 PM

Right there with you. Back when i was broke in college I sold a bunch of my tools including a heat gun for $5.

12 years later, I finally bought a $25 heat gun again...would have saved me so much headache over the years if I just kept the one I had.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Another "must have" tool for the DIY'er - 02/03/21 06:31 PM

Yep, heat gun at the house and a mini torch in my truck tool box. Always keep a variety pack of heat shrink on hand. Never know when you'll need to fix trailer & boat wiring etc, especially in a salt environment. Butt splice (or other connector), coated with liquid electrical tape, then heat shrink tubing over that will give you a solid water tight connection that won't corrode.
Posted By: greenen

Re: Another "must have" tool for the DIY'er - 02/03/21 06:51 PM

I don't have a heat gun but as Skinnerback says shrink tubing and a torch helps out in many ways. I need a heat gun.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Another "must have" tool for the DIY'er - 02/03/21 08:22 PM

Heat guns make it easier to dust caps off of lawnmower hubs too.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Another "must have" tool for the DIY'er - 02/08/21 03:09 PM

This is a must have tool. Dewalt oscillating tool made easy work for some DIY projects this weekend. Money well spent.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Another "must have" tool for the DIY'er - 02/08/21 03:22 PM

I have several heat guns but I have no less than a dozen of these around in various places, I [Linked Image]
can fix about anything where heat is needed.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Another "must have" tool for the DIY'er - 02/11/21 06:40 PM

Don't have a heat gun, but do have a Looftlighter I use to start the fire in my Egg. Have used it to do heat shrink, heat up and adjust the locking clip on my otter box phone case and other stuff.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Another "must have" tool for the DIY'er - 02/11/21 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Old Rabbit
Don't have a heat gun, but do have a Looftlighter I use to start the fire in my Egg. Have used it to do heat shrink, heat up and adjust the locking clip on my otter box phone case and other stuff.
[Linked Image]

Got one of those for my eggs as well, they get stupid hot stupid fast...
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Another "must have" tool for the DIY'er - 02/11/21 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
Originally Posted by Old Rabbit
[Linked Image]

Got one of those for my eggs as well, they get stupid hot stupid fast...

use that for starting a fire in our wood stove, works great. up gets the pipe warmed up too.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Another "must have" tool for the DIY'er - 02/11/21 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308
This is a must have tool. Dewalt oscillating tool made easy work for some DIY projects this weekend. Money well spent.

[Linked Image]

I need one
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Another "must have" tool for the DIY'er - 02/12/21 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Biscuit
Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308

[Linked Image]

I need one

Nice, never seen one before.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum