Texas Hunting Forum

Stihl carb replacement

Posted By: 68rustbucket

Stihl carb replacement - 12/26/20 06:28 PM

Wanting to rebuild carb in Stihl chainsaw, but the replacement carbs on Amazon are extremely cheap. Which brand should I replace with?
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Stihl carb replacement - 12/26/20 06:47 PM

They're all the same, just some come with additional parts such as lines, etc.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Stihl carb replacement - 12/26/20 06:57 PM

There might be a ‘best’ replacement carb, but I don’t know what that is. In the past, I’ve just picked one and ordered it. No problems so far. Not hard to replace at all. Pay close attention to proper gasket placement.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Stihl carb replacement - 12/26/20 07:12 PM

Read the reviews.
But you might also get the stihlpart part number and type it in on Stens.com, they make quality aftermarket parts.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Stihl carb replacement - 12/26/20 08:15 PM

Thanks!
Posted By: deerhunter1956

Re: Stihl carb replacement - 12/26/20 10:09 PM

I just rebuilt my Stihl chainsaw ordered all the parts from my local dealer under a 100 bucks.
Took less than hour started on 3rd pull runs like brand new.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Stihl carb replacement - 12/26/20 10:33 PM

The amazon/ebay carb kits work pretty well and usually include gaskets, fuel and primer lines, a new fuel filter, air filter and primer.
They last 1 or 2 seasons before the alcohol in most gas will make the diaphram in carb or fuel lines go south.
If you run the premix that you can buy in quarts and gallons at box stores, they last a long time.

The carb kit with extra parts is usually cheaper than just a carb rebuild kit and you don't have to worry about the tiny passages being stopped up on a rebuild.
Posted By: huntindude

Re: Stihl carb replacement - 01/12/21 04:39 PM

Bought mine at local dealer. As it turns out it’s a JD dealer also. Very convenient because of lawn mower and tractor supply near by.
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Stihl carb replacement - 02/03/21 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Vern1
The amazon/ebay carb kits work pretty well and usually include gaskets, fuel and primer lines, a new fuel filter, air filter and primer.
They last 1 or 2 seasons before the alcohol in most gas will make the diaphram in carb or fuel lines go south.
If you run the premix that you can buy in quarts and gallons at box stores, they last a long time.

The carb kit with extra parts is usually cheaper than just a carb rebuild kit and you don't have to worry about the tiny passages being stopped up on a rebuild.

Another option is to mix your own with ethanol free. That what I do. I have a designated one gallon container for pre mix. If you rebuild or replace carb make sure to use ethanol resistant lines. My local True Value has them in various sizes.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum