Texas Hunting Forum

New old boat

Posted By: TDK

New old boat - 07/12/20 03:56 AM

Ive been clammering to build or restore a mohogony boat for a few years now and pulled the trigger on a barn find 1941 Century 16' Utility today w/Graymarine "Fireball" I-6cyl. It would have been a little hotrod in its time, most boats this size had the 4-cyl. I'll have to talk to the experts to find out if its original(very rare), or added/swapped later.

The boat was refurbished in 1996 as shown in one of the photos below. Story from the widow is after being restored her husband only used it a few times for about two seasons and lost interest due to other hobbies and business operation, storing it in their barn covered until now. I guess once I dive in I'll find out if it was parked due to mechanical reasons. I couldn't find any rot or soft spots in the skin or frames, and the motor turns. Ive got a little damage on the bow just behind the cutwater. Plans for me are to delicately ensure/restore mechanical operation, then do a sympathetic restoration to the eras standards.

Project ahead:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: New old boat - 07/12/20 06:22 AM

Enjoy yourself have a great time. up
Posted By: BigPig

Re: New old boat - 07/12/20 10:40 AM

Very cool project. Always liked the wood boats
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: New old boat - 07/12/20 11:36 AM

Classic. cheers
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: New old boat - 07/12/20 01:33 PM

That oughta keep you busy for a while!
Posted By: jakebunch

Re: New old boat - 07/12/20 01:36 PM

Will be a definite "head turner" when you have it finished and on the water.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: New old boat - 07/12/20 06:02 PM

Sweet project...
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: New old boat - 07/13/20 12:56 AM

Wow!!! That thing is sweet! Congrats!!
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: New old boat - 07/13/20 01:50 AM

Very nice. From the golden age of pleasure boating.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: New old boat - 07/13/20 08:54 PM

MMMM motor boatin!
Posted By: PMK

Re: New old boat - 07/13/20 09:22 PM

should be a fun project, good luck with it
Posted By: redchevy

Re: New old boat - 07/14/20 05:07 PM

Not my kind of boat, but I bet it will sure look pretty when done and working on just about anything with a motor can be a fun project.
Posted By: TX_LT230FH

Re: New old boat - 07/14/20 06:14 PM

Man, that's in good shape. I think you'll get off pretty light getting that one back to tip-top shape. Good snag!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: New old boat - 07/14/20 07:31 PM

Awesome find!
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: New old boat - 07/14/20 09:33 PM

Great looking boat.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: New old boat - 08/20/20 08:08 PM

up
Posted By: JCB

Re: New old boat - 08/20/20 08:20 PM

That's going to be nice! Take your time and do it right. Not many true wood motor boats left out there.

I always wanted one of those old car/boats. There use to be one here on Lake Ray Hubbard I would see from time to time but haven't seen him in a few years now. It looked like a '57 Chevy car but he could just drive it right off the boat ramp and into the lake then back on to land again. I saw him many times way out in the middle of the lake just motoring around. Don't remember what they were called but they were factory built car/boats and the looks he would get at the boat ramp and on the water were priceless. LOL
Posted By: redhaze

Re: New old boat - 08/22/20 04:39 PM

Nice, excellent choice for a restoration
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: New old boat - 08/22/20 07:15 PM

Looks like a fun project! Following to see it on the water up
Posted By: Gringocazador

Re: New old boat - 08/23/20 02:12 PM

I bet in its day that was a very fast boat. What kind of drive does it have. I know nothing about boats other than bass boats. That looks like a fun project.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: New old boat - 08/23/20 03:51 PM

That's gonna be a lot of fun. Bet it will look beautiful when finished.
Posted By: Team Hillbilly

Re: New old boat - 10/02/20 08:55 PM

up up
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: New old boat - 10/02/20 09:44 PM

up
Posted By: redhaze

Re: New old boat - 10/02/20 10:52 PM

Back in the late 50's and early 60's my dad built a wooden boat from plans called a Nimrod or something like that, the power plant was a 4 cylinder Crosley, with the shifter and all that. Restoring that will be fun. Good luck.
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: New old boat - 10/03/20 01:15 PM

Nice, when your done, you can go fishing for Walter
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: New old boat - 10/05/20 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
Nice, when your done, you can go fishing for Walter

i get it. up
watch out for that stump
Posted By: Panhandler

Re: New old boat - 10/07/20 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by JCB
That's going to be nice! Take your time and do it right. Not many true wood motor boats left out there.

I always wanted one of those old car/boats. There use to be one here on Lake Ray Hubbard I would see from time to time but haven't seen him in a few years now. It looked like a '57 Chevy car but he could just drive it right off the boat ramp and into the lake then back on to land again. I saw him many times way out in the middle of the lake just motoring around. Don't remember what they were called but they were factory built car/boats and the looks he would get at the boat ramp and on the water were priceless. LOL

President LBJ had one of these vehicles at his ranch. He would take visitors for a ride and drive towards the lake screaming about the brakes going out, just to freak out the passengers. roflmao Sounds like my kind of guy
Posted By: oldrancher

Re: New old boat - 10/07/20 04:57 PM

[Linked Image]

They called it an Amphicar if I remember correctly. It had two propellers in back. I saw one on Lake Marble Falls when I was a kid. I don't remember if it's on display at the LBJ Ranch. It's been awhile since I've been on the ranch.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum