Texas Hunting Forum

When you have nothing better to do

Posted By: Texas Dan

When you have nothing better to do - 07/09/20 06:52 PM

I first saw one of these several years ago in a video but can't remember where. I decided to build a prototype out of as much as I had laying around the house. The fan costs me about $16 (including shipping) after applying the Amazon card I was given for Father's Day.

Definitely better than nothing but it does take more ice than I expected if you want something that cools long enough for an evening hog hunt.

A larger cooler and fan would no doubt produce a greater volume of cool air.

With this setup I figure I can leave the motor/top and a battery in the stand and just carry the ice chest and ice when I got to hunt. And of course the cooler will also keep beverages ready for consumption.

I seem to remember Academy selling these for several hundred bucks.

12-volt fan on Amazon

[Linked Image]

Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: When you have nothing better to do - 07/09/20 07:09 PM

Try using frozen gallon jug? Or maybe frozen water bottles?

Re: When you have nothing better to do - 07/09/20 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Try using frozen gallon jug? Or maybe frozen water bottles?

up

Re: When you have nothing better to do - 07/09/20 09:14 PM

Since these cooler fans absorb heat without the need to transfer it outside like the AC in your home, I'm curious if anyone has any experience using one in an enclosed deer stand. So long as heat gain is reduced through outside shade, I could see where one might be capable of dropping the inside temperature several degrees.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: When you have nothing better to do - 07/10/20 02:45 PM

Txhunter made one last year. Then I went down a rabbit hole on “thermal electric coolers”. That technology kinda blows my mind.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum