Texas Hunting Forum

Had to call The Man

Posted By: bill oxner

Had to call The Man - 06/13/20 05:53 PM

My belt broke on my mower I could replace it but it includes getting down and back up. You know how that goes with an 84 year old man. He mows several yards in my neighborhood. He said he would be here at 1:00. Saw this in my driveway at 12:00. My mower is the only thing I have on Sears service policy. You have any?

[Linked Image]

He knows my yard well. He is on standby. He loves homegrown tomatoes and jalapeños from my garden.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Had to call The Man - 06/13/20 07:51 PM

No service policy on my Sears mower. I run them till they quit. I need to change my belt, it’s slipping.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Had to call The Man - 06/13/20 09:13 PM

That ZTR is going to leave streaks in your lawn. confused2

Re: Had to call The Man - 06/13/20 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by MikeC
That ZTR is going to leave streaks in your lawn. confused2

Doesn't matter ordered bank sand and a box lade for next week. Yard was full of divots after the tree fell last week.

Re: Had to call The Man - 06/13/20 10:51 PM

He calls me his friend and I feel honored. His name is Ricardo. I called him the dog whisperer because the neighbor dogs followed him around. His life is a great story about coming to America. He has three children who all have college degrees.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Had to call The Man - 06/14/20 01:35 AM

I hate it when the belt breaks. It’s about the only thing I can’t fix (well, there might be a couple of other things I can’t fix).
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Had to call The Man - 06/14/20 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
He calls me his friend and I feel honored. His name is Ricardo. I called him the dog whisperer because the neighbor dogs followed him around. His life is a great story about coming to America. He has three children who all have college degrees.

That sounds like my neighbor. Second generation from Mexico. Really a great family. He has three sons and he put them all through UT as a welder. Every graduation there was a HUGE party at his place. His only condition on tuition was they had to take up a sport of some sort. The oldest took up skeet shooting. He'd never fired a shotgun before in his life, but after four years of professional coaching he is the most amazing dove shooter I've ever seen. The other two picked up archery with similar results. That family will never go hungry!
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Had to call The Man - 06/14/20 03:46 PM

I have had the same guy and his crew mow my yard for 7 years now, I don't even know his name or his background or family background. I have him saved as "Mower" in my phone

He does a great job
Posted By: Cast

Re: Had to call The Man - 06/14/20 05:13 PM

Instead of a service contract I buy the tools I need to fix my JD 445. It is in real good shape now, as good or better as when I bought it new in ‘98. I hear it out there now. The same yard lady that has mown the yard since ‘98 is mowing it again right now. She’ll mow almost two acres in about an hour with that 60” deck.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Had to call The Man - 06/14/20 05:22 PM

this is the DIY section, you going to document how you used the phone to call him?

Re: Had to call The Man - 06/14/20 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Slow Drifter

That sounds like my neighbor. Second generation from Mexico. Really a great family. He has three sons and he put them all through UT as a welder. Every graduation there was a HUGE party at his place. His only condition on tuition was they had to take up a sport of some sort. The oldest took up skeet shooting. He'd never fired a shotgun before in his life, but after four years of professional coaching he is the most amazing dove shooter I've ever seen. The other two picked up archery with similar results. That family will never go hungry!

Ricardo's two sons are bankers and his daughter is a nurse. He stopped by the get some tomatoes and I asked him about mowing. He replied that he would show up at 1:00 he arrived at 12;00. I had planned to do the trimming myself but he also did that. He can trim with a weed eater as fast as I can walk. Riding the mower is relaxing to me. I plan to have him do the trimming at times. Most of my neighbors use him weekly the year around. One neighbor does the social security and tax withholding for him.

Re: Had to call The Man - 06/14/20 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by RedRanger

I have had the same guy and his crew mow my yard for 7 years now, I don't even know his name or his background or family background. I have him saved as "Mower" in my phone

He does a great job

Anyone can have a phone. How do you know if he's legal or not?

Re: Had to call The Man - 06/17/20 11:45 PM

Miracles still happen. Sears came this morning with a new belt.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum