Texas Hunting Forum

Too much moisture in bathroom

Posted By: Wilhunt

Too much moisture in bathroom - 05/14/20 08:47 PM

!8 moths ago I had a section of a door frame in the bathroom in which the paint peeled and cracked. I sanded it down and used a primer Zinsser 123 then painted with a good latex paint. Now I need to do it again. I am going to use the primer Kilz Original Interior Primer which is oil based and then paint with same latex paint. Any suggestions on something else I should do? Could I put the primer on the paint as a sealer? Thanks!
Posted By: Tin Head

Re: Too much moisture in bathroom - 05/15/20 07:13 PM

Something in that area is not letting the paint stick. I dont know if its moisture though.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Too much moisture in bathroom - 05/15/20 09:34 PM

I thought latex wouldn’t stick to oil base paint. Or is it the other way around? Whichever way it is, I had a painter do it wrong on all the door trim in house.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Too much moisture in bathroom - 05/16/20 12:44 AM

If painting over oil with latex you need to sand the surface before painting.
Posted By: Poppa

Re: Too much moisture in bathroom - 05/16/20 01:12 AM

or prime with Valspar stainblocking primer sealer. easier than sanding but cost a little more
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Too much moisture in bathroom - 05/16/20 03:30 AM

Run the exhaust vent while taking a shower,
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Too much moisture in bathroom - 05/18/20 09:38 PM

BP that is the problem, the fixture installed has heat and light but no exhaust fan. That is the next job.
Posted By: Lazyjack

Re: Too much moisture in bathroom - 05/19/20 11:59 AM

A stop gap solution fir no venr fan, if you have an HVAC supply in bath, operate air hanler a few minutes with door ope to introduce smr dry air into bath.

I agree, door may have oil base primer or paint as a base coat. If so latex may never stick to it. In fact you probably need to srtip it.
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: Too much moisture in bathroom - 05/19/20 12:03 PM

Latex is fine over an oil based primer. Go to your Kelly Moore or Sherwin Williams and get them to recommend paint
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Too much moisture in bathroom - 05/20/20 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by BigPig
Run the exhaust vent while taking a shower,

Yes. No exhaust fan is a problem. Install one, then:
1) run fart fan while showering
2) make sure said fart fan duct is in fact exhausting
3) once done with shower, let fan run For 5-10 more minutes just in case
4) technically, should somehow wipe water off walls after each use, but nobody does
Posted By: PMK

Re: Too much moisture in bathroom - 05/20/20 09:36 PM

easy, take cold showers where it won't steam up the room ... fixed loser8

and Bullfrog, we have a squidgy in our shower and wipe down the shower walls & door upon each use.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum