Texas Hunting Forum

Garden salsa

Posted By: KWood_TSU

Garden salsa - 04/04/20 07:17 PM

What all plants do you recommend to grow to make your own salsa. Sure I can google it, but I'd rather have the THF trust offer up some recipes and whatnot.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Garden salsa - 04/04/20 07:44 PM

Tomatoes, jalapenos, onions, cilantro, and garlic.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Garden salsa - 04/04/20 08:19 PM

I made my on for years. Processed tomatoes, chopped onions, chopped jalapenos, simmer for 15 minutes add tomato paste and stir until mixed. Season with a pinch of sugar, vinegar, and salt.
Posted By: fredeboy

Re: Garden salsa - 04/04/20 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by KWood_TSU
What all plants do you recommend to grow to make your own salsa. Sure I can google it, but I'd rather have the THF trust offer up some recipes and whatnot.

Best tip I can offer is use Red Gold whole tomatoes instead of fresh grown. Much better end result

Re: Garden salsa - 04/05/20 12:04 AM

Most people reccomended Roma's, but not me. I like one slice to cover my whole sandwich. I use whatever slicers I grow. I scald them, dump them in ice water, skin them, cut the top third of, squeeze, rake the seeds and pulp off. I come out with a mostly seedless salsa.

I also seed my jalapeƱos.
Posted By: fredeboy

Re: Garden salsa - 04/06/20 08:24 PM

Also there is a pepper to grow that is called Garden Salsa. Great flavor profile and they have had the plants at Lowe's last couple of years. Much better in salsa than jalapenos

Re: Garden salsa - 04/06/20 10:56 PM

My favorite store bough salsa is HEB think and chunky. The peppers in there tasted fresh. I set out to copy it. It also had dehydrated minced onions in there. I started with my regular recipe and added minced onions. I waited until it was done to add my chopped peppers adding a few slices. The vinegar and acid from tomatoes pocketed the peppers. That was my last batch

I bought a jar of salsa from Aldi during the hoarding. It was like stewed tomatoes with Tabasco.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum