Texas Hunting Forum

ideas needed - Concrete Retaining Wall?

Posted By: dkershen

ideas needed - Concrete Retaining Wall? - 03/04/20 03:01 PM

I've got a new concrete pad that I'll be using as a manure pad at our riding center, and need some ideas for a solid retaining wall on one side that a tractor will scrap up against when loading out the contents. Was hoping someone knew how to get ahold of concrete barriers or blocks like those used for road work. Here is a pic of the slab. The end needing a concrete wall is 16 feet long.

[Linked Image]

My original idea had been to use rail road ties, but in hind site I don't think that will stand up to constant bumping from a tractor.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: ideas needed - Concrete Retaining Wall? - 03/04/20 03:19 PM

I'd think a double block wall dialed into the slab and all voids filled with grout would hold. I would go easy on it not ram it with loaded etc.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: ideas needed - Concrete Retaining Wall? - 03/04/20 03:27 PM

[Linked Image]

Something like these 2x2x8 would be perfect. (YES I know I should have thought of this before hand and just poured some in place. Hindsight is 20/20)
Posted By: Rustler

Re: ideas needed - Concrete Retaining Wall? - 03/04/20 03:35 PM

Bin blocks / V blocks / stackable interlocking concrete block

----> Bin blocks

Places that store/stockpile or sell loose materials ( rock, sand, mulch, soil etc.. ) concrete & asphalt plants,, municipalities cities, counties, dirt work / excavation / landscaping companies and such use them and know where to get them.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: ideas needed - Concrete Retaining Wall? - 03/04/20 07:28 PM

A block wall and then add a dirt berm it on the back side to support it.
Posted By: Cochise

Re: ideas needed - Concrete Retaining Wall? - 03/05/20 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by dkershen
I've got a new concrete pad that I'll be using as a manure pad at our riding center, and need some ideas for a solid retaining wall on one side that a tractor will scrap up against when loading out the contents. Was hoping someone knew how to get ahold of concrete barriers or blocks like those used for road work. Here is a pic of the slab. The end needing a concrete wall is 16 feet long.

[Linked Image]

My original idea had been to use rail road ties, but in hind site I don't think that will stand up to constant bumping from a tractor.

Build forms and the have them poured? 2x2x8 is about 1.2 yards - probably cheaper just to buy used ones though.
Posted By: fredeboy

Re: ideas needed - Concrete Retaining Wall? - 03/15/20 09:12 PM

Check with readymix and precast suppliers in your area. Most will usually have a mold set up where they dump any excess concrete till the mold is full. A lot of time they will sell them very reasonable
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: ideas needed - Concrete Retaining Wall? - 03/15/20 11:54 PM

I know cooper concrete in garland sells them. I have bought a bunch from them. That is what I use for our sand and gravel pit for out concrete plant. Although if you just do one row you’ll want to put something in the ground to hold it. As you can push them with the loader and move the wall. Personally I would partially bury the first row of blocks then do two more on top.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum