Texas Hunting Forum

Sealing a trailer floor

Posted By: Brother in-law

Sealing a trailer floor - 12/30/19 03:48 PM

What is the best juice to put on utility trailer boards to help protect them some
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 12/30/19 03:49 PM

apple

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 12/30/19 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ramball36
apple

Same you put in your zimas?
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 12/30/19 06:18 PM

Treated lumber?
Posted By: gollygee

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 12/30/19 07:15 PM

I just finished a new floor on a car hauler. I used treated lumber and all of a 50/50 mix of hydraulic oil and diesel it would soak up.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 12/30/19 08:40 PM

We mix diesel with oil from oil changes...we wait for very hot summer days with temps near or over 100. Park the trailer in direct sun....use an old mop to spread oil liberally on the lumber and allow it to soak in...

We repeat this until the wood will no longer absorb oil. We then leave it out in the sun for about a week.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 12/30/19 10:12 PM

Used motor oil. I use a paint roller.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 12/30/19 11:10 PM

New trailer with new wood or an older work trailer?

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 12/30/19 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Treated lumber?

Yes I think so

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 12/30/19 11:51 PM

New trailer , slightly weathered wood

Treat I think
Posted By: DannyB

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 12/30/19 11:58 PM

I roll a coat of cheap oil based porch paint on mine every summer. It takes me less than half hour and I'm good for a year.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 12/31/19 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
We mix diesel with oil from oil changes...we wait for very hot summer days with temps near or over 100. Park the trailer in direct sun....use an old mop to spread oil liberally on the lumber and allow it to soak in...

We repeat this until the wood will no longer absorb oil. We then leave it out in the sun for about a week.

This, 100%. It’s free and very effective. Well, it’s free if you still have your balls and change your own oil, I could name a few that who’s wife holds them

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 12/31/19 12:16 AM

The above used oil mixes is what we used on trailers at the farm.

For a recreational use trailer I would get a gallon of boiled linseed oil, a gallon of mineral spirits and a quart of Helmsman spar varnish. For the first coat, mix enough BLO and MS to soak the trailer boards. Let that dry a couple of days. About half gallon of each should do it.

Then mix the rest of the BLO, MS and the spar, and apply liberally but NO Puddles. Let sit for 30 minutes, wipe down. Let dry for a few days, then apply another coat, repeat in a few days until you have used all of the mix. For this mix you want a mix ratio of about 2 BLO, 2 MS and 1 spar.

BLO is boiled linseed oil
MS is mineral spirits
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 12/31/19 01:33 AM

X2

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 12/31/19 02:05 AM

I don’t and refuse to change my own oil with my cute apple sized balls
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 12/31/19 02:07 AM

I have some used oil you can use if you want it princess.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 12/31/19 03:02 AM

Used oil and diesel fuel are not your best option. Listen to Dogcatcher.

Linseed oil is an excellent choice.

And yes people I change my own oil.
Posted By: Big_Country01

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 12/31/19 05:06 AM

I also use used motor oil cut with a little diesel. We also keep all of our trailers under a shed so that helps.
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 12/31/19 02:54 PM

Dogcatcher's mix if you want a clean dry finish, SnakeWrangler's mix otherwise. Don't do Thompson's, it's a waste of time and $$
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 12/31/19 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Hancock
Dogcatcher's mix if you want a clean dry finish, SnakeWrangler's mix otherwise. Don't do Thompson's, it's a waste of time and $$

A few days in the hot Texas sun and the motor oil is dry to the touch

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 12/31/19 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by BigPig
Originally Posted by Hancock

A few days in the hot Texas sun and the motor oil is dry to the touch

yup...which is why we do it in July and Aug...
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 12/31/19 04:38 PM

Any of that would work. I use a good exterior paint and made treads out of hardie board where my tires set while hauling. This is the point that the vibration and contact while hauling wear the paint off. These are screwed down and caulked. I bungee a tarp over it and jack up the front, I have to store it out in the open.
Posted By: Tin Head

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 12/31/19 05:56 PM

I have heard the old folk use this method also and will try it one day. I Just worry about it being slippery when wet, well more slippery since its oil.

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 12/31/19 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Treated lumber?

treated lumber is crap these days. In the past it would be my 100% go to. Today its been watered down and is just crap and wont last . Folks have stories of PT wood lasting 20 years and this is true of the old treatment. Not today. Plus it warps and twisted something crazy.
Edit: Id do PT wood with the oil treatment

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 12/31/19 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Brother in-law
What is the best juice to put on utility trailer boards to help protect them some

Also dont SEAL up the wood, it will rot from the inside if moisture has no where to go.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 01/01/20 12:05 AM

I have a 2000 model 20’ pie rail bumper pull trailer, bought it new. It’s always been stored outside. Has the original boards, never did any preventive treatment to the boards. They are weathered, but still good.

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 01/01/20 12:09 AM

Is the wood dry or showing any signs of cracking?
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 01/01/20 12:22 AM

Well sure, it’s 20 years old. But not rotting, I’m in a drier climate.

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 01/01/20 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket

Well sure, it’s 20 years old. But not rotting, I’m in a drier climate.

Oil will make it last longer...dry rot is still rot...degradation of structural integration …. 2cents
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 01/01/20 12:45 AM

Another vote for the oil/diesel mix, I also use it. I used to only use Oak boards in my cattle trailers and lowboy, but this pressure treated wood is not so good these days, so I went to Oak with the oil/diesel mix on my light duty flatbeds as well. I had some creosote treated utility poles cut for my lowboy, and discovered they were too soft when you drive the dozer on them, it chewed them up quick. They may be a good alternative for a light duty trailer though.
Posted By: 3kcattle

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 01/01/20 06:19 PM

Used motor oil with a little diesel mixed in

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 01/01/20 09:57 PM

Why does the oil have to be used?

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 01/01/20 10:06 PM

It is free.

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 01/01/20 10:17 PM

Good use for waste oil...you could use new with the same result...

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 01/01/20 11:09 PM

oil and water dont mix. oil is a water repellent. if water is repelled it does not soak wood. If it does not soak wood you dont have rot. If you dont have rot the trailer bed will last longer . If the trailer bed last longer less head ache. Oh yeah , like dogcatcher said, its free.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 01/02/20 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by dogcatcher

It is free.
Posted By: soooo

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 01/02/20 12:18 AM

popcorn
Posted By: 3kcattle

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 01/02/20 01:33 AM

Amazing!

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 01/02/20 03:01 AM

Well articulated
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 01/02/20 05:41 PM

Slightly off topic, but at the Harden Sawmill in Sanger they'll cut you custom creosote trailer floor boards out of telephone poles or RR ties. (you can supply poles/ties or they will)
Best, longest lasting trailer floor boards money can buy, and no need to bother treating them with anything.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 01/02/20 06:43 PM

https://www.hardensawmill.com/
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 06/20/21 04:49 PM

I have an over abundance of used motor oil/hydraulic oil/diesel.

Probably 50-70 gals if anybody wants some.
Posted By: Couzin

Re: Sealing a trailer floor - 07/02/21 11:39 PM

When I worked as a semi-trailer mechanic and we would replace the wood floors in the trailers (most now are aluminum), we would get all the (oak) boards cut and ready, then pull one board from the center out onto the floor and turn it upside down. All the other boards were then flipped over as well in place. We rollered the (now top) side with a 50/50 mixture of creosote and diesel fuel, including the edges. It dried quick. Then flipped each of the boards over (reinserting the middle one previously pulled) and screwing them down with self tapping Torx trailer deck screws. We got 110 hours of flat rate labor to replace a floor and my working buddy and I could knock out a floor in a 10 hour (times 2) day.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum