Texas Hunting Forum

Portable Inverter/Battery Setup

Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Portable Inverter/Battery Setup - 09/16/19 02:34 PM

Anyone have a particular portable inverter/battery setup they recommend? I am needing one for truck camping - nothing too powerful just enough to recharge computer/phone, run some LED lights, and possibly a small portable fan.

Thanks!
Posted By: HogBranch

Re: Portable Inverter/Battery Setup - 09/16/19 07:06 PM

You can all of those things with 12 volts, just get a deep cycle battery. You could even recharge it with your truck if needed. I setup a similar system for a very remote camp once. Deep cycle battery and solar panel. We ran lights, music, and a fan at night to keep cool.

No inverter required. Just get 12 volt lights, fans, etc...
Posted By: Lazyjack

Re: Portable Inverter/Battery Setup - 09/20/19 12:51 AM

If you want to run any AC fan, you will want a pure sine wave inverter. Otherwise the fan may not be happy. I have a 375 watt inverter. I carry an 18 volt Ryobi fan. Recharges off inverter faster than wall outlet.

Re: Portable Inverter/Battery Setup - 09/20/19 02:10 AM

Thanks for that info. up
Posted By: huck18

Re: Portable Inverter/Battery Setup - 09/20/19 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by HogBranch
You can all of those things with 12 volts, just get a deep cycle battery. You could even recharge it with your truck if needed. I setup a similar system for a very remote camp once. Deep cycle battery and solar panel. We ran lights, music, and a fan at night to keep cool.

No inverter required. Just get 12 volt lights, fans, etc...

This. Get a deep cycle battery and a trolling motor battery bank like this:

https://www.amazon.com/MinnKota-Trolling-Motor-Power-Center/dp/B001PTHKMG/ref=asc_df_B001PTHKMG/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583795260727974&psc=1

You can plug in a cheap inverter and run whatever you want. I've had one for years. Bought it for a little hunting boat and ran a motor, phone, radio, lights, etc...also use it for camping and in the bed of pickup with a camper for a dog fan.
Posted By: huck18

Re: Portable Inverter/Battery Setup - 09/20/19 02:03 PM

This one looks even better. Already set up for USB's.

https://www.amazon.com/Newport-Vess...mp;psc=1&refRID=NKM36126S71JV72CNWRY
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Portable Inverter/Battery Setup - 09/20/19 04:08 PM

A few years ago we had a power pack from Harbor Freight, battery, inverter etc in one unit, It more than served the purpose of camp power until we had electricity wired in. But they no longer sell it, here is a similar item at Northern Tool, Our HF verion would last a weekend if we were watching the usage. But we also had a place where we could go to get it recharged if needed. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200678037_200678037

Either Home Depot or Lowes sell a Dewalt that is similar, but a lot more money.
Posted By: Mogombie

Re: Portable Inverter/Battery Setup - 09/22/19 10:55 PM

A friend of mine put this together. Looks like it would fit your needs.

https://youtu.be/h2XikTNdnU4

Re: Portable Inverter/Battery Setup - 09/23/19 05:48 PM

Thanks fellas! up
Posted By: HogBranch

Re: Portable Inverter/Battery Setup - 09/23/19 06:46 PM

Running the inverter will draw a lot more power from the battery. Changing 12 volts DC into 120 volts AC is not energy efficient, the battery will last a lot longer if you just run 12 volt items directly. Buying a 12 volt fan, light, radio will be cheaper than buying the inverter and it will work better. Or you could run it as a mixed system where you only run the inverter when it is absolutely required.

When you look at the inverters check out how much current is required on the 12 volt side to produce current on the 120 volt side.
Posted By: StephenB

Re: Portable Inverter/Battery Setup - 09/24/19 01:13 AM

One thing to pay attention to with DC is the length and gauge of the wires involved. Resistance matters much more with DC than AC. With DC, you will see voltage drops that might mess with equipment and burn some things up more easily. Larger diameter wire is better, shorter distance is better.

There is a reason we use AC for our grid.
Posted By: nak

Re: Portable Inverter/Battery Setup - 09/26/19 02:28 AM

See if there is room under your hood to stash another full size battery. IF there is, buy a Deep Cycle (trolling motor) battery and permanently mount it under the hood.
Buy one of these Battery Isolator
(It can be rated a lot lower...since the amp rating is really the charge rating to the second battery)

You can draw off the second battery until it is dead without worrying about the truck cranking battery. It will recharge automatically while you drive.

Re: Portable Inverter/Battery Setup - 09/26/19 04:04 PM

Dang Nak going to look into that thanks!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum