Texas Hunting Forum

2 cycle experts

Posted By: Cow_doc.308

2 cycle experts - 08/04/19 03:10 AM

I have a husqvarna weed eater that’s several years old. Always ran the premixed fuel through it.

I haven’t run it much in the last few years as I’ve been paying a yard man.

Now when I crank it, it run strong and normal for a while, then begins to bog down under load, then eventually dies. Will restart but does the same thing.

Air cleaner doesn’t look too dirty. Any suggestions on what to try?
Posted By: J.G.

Re: 2 cycle experts - 08/04/19 03:19 AM

Replace the fuel lines and a the primer bulb. (Check the filter in the tank)

Take the muffler off, see if it is clogged.

Both of these require more time than money.

If it's still sick, check the spark plug, and the plug wire. But, my bet is it is getting air in the fuel delivery.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: 2 cycle experts - 08/04/19 03:20 AM

Get your shotgun out, blast it to pieces and go get a Stihl. That's what I did when my Husqvarna had the same problem.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: 2 cycle experts - 08/04/19 03:33 AM

You’re sucking air as mentioned above. If not cracked rubber then dried out gaskets. If it’s the gaskets it will run fine tomorrow. They will magically swell up over night. Probably the rubber parts though.

Re: 2 cycle experts - 08/04/19 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by wp75169
You’re sucking air as mentioned above. If not cracked rubber then dried out gaskets. If it’s the gaskets it will run fine tomorrow. They will magically swell up over night. Probably the rubber parts though.

Gaskets at carb?

Good source for parts?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: 2 cycle experts - 08/04/19 01:04 PM

I just got out of the 2 cycle business Friday. Love my new Ryobi 40 volt. It's so nice to just pick it up and do whatever you have to do. I now have the blower attachment on it.
Posted By: greenen

Re: 2 cycle experts - 08/04/19 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Cow_doc.308
Originally Posted by wp75169

Gaskets at carb?

Good source for parts?

Amazon
Posted By: Lazyjack

Re: 2 cycle experts - 08/04/19 01:39 PM

Steves small engine saloon

On youtube. Has a DYI approach with tips and tricks.
Posted By: Cast

Re: 2 cycle experts - 08/04/19 01:44 PM

I have been fixing these things lately. I would get s $15 carb kit from Amazon and change it out. They come with new fuel lines and filter. If that does not do it, add a coil kit to it. The last one needed both. It runs so good now, I will probably buy the carb and coil kits that come with both from now on. Cheap fix.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: 2 cycle experts - 08/05/19 01:05 AM

Oxners right.

So is fireman and cast.

I buy ALL my parts from a local guy.

I find what I believe is the correct part numbers for what I think I need and call them.

I still let them drive the bus.... just have part numbers to speed the job up
Posted By: Western

Re: 2 cycle experts - 08/05/19 12:45 PM

Just replaced parts on two Briggs commercial engines for work machines, best place I found for parts was https://www.jackssmallengines.com/

They had a good search engine for parts and the prices on some parts where cheaper than Amazon for oem.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: 2 cycle experts - 08/07/19 02:32 PM

cheap enough to just buy the new carb and fuel lines, I just did this on one here at the ranch and it runs like a top now, and is stihl as well. they all go down sooner or later.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: 2 cycle experts - 08/07/19 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by TexasKC
Get your shotgun out, blast it to pieces and go get a Stihl. That's what I did when my Husqvarna had the same problem.

roflmao

Re: 2 cycle experts - 08/07/19 08:23 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Ordered. Kit from amazon and installed today. New carb and lines and it’s back to running strong.
Posted By: Cast

Re: 2 cycle experts - 08/08/19 01:27 AM

Good job Doc! If that ever fails you, add the coil kit. That completes the trifecta. Air, fuel, ignition.

The last Stihl I fixed had become hard to start for some time. I did the carb kit and it would try to start but not run. The coil went in and it started on the first pull. It still does.

Re: 2 cycle experts - 08/08/19 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Cast
Good job Doc! If that ever fails you, add the coil kit. That completes the trifecta. Air, fuel, ignition.

The last Stihl I fixed had become hard to start for some time. I did the carb kit and it would try to start but not run. The coil went in and it started on the first pull. It still does.

Kit came with a new spark plug too. With it installed it would crank and idle but died when you touched the throttle. Put the old plug back and I was in business.
Posted By: fredeboy

Re: 2 cycle experts - 09/02/19 01:42 AM

Kit came with a new spark plug too. With it installed it would crank and idle but died when you touched the throttle. Put the old plug back and I was in business.

Must need to check gap on plug
Posted By: TCM3

Re: 2 cycle experts - 10/05/19 12:25 AM

That has happened on my dad's husqvarna chainsaw, proper gap too. Put the old plug back in and voila!
Posted By: Vern1

Re: 2 cycle experts - 11/27/19 05:27 PM

You can buy a complete carb/fuel line kit on ebay for 12-15 bux for most small 2smokes and briggs/tecompseh motors.
I started doing that instead of getting carb kit and line kit for chainsaws and weedeater/leaf blowers.
Put it on there and continue to run the canned premix.

Look online at factory microfiches and get part number, then plug that part number into ebay search.
Most of the time they come as a kit with carb, lines and primer bulb.
If not, get carb and line/primer seperate.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum