Texas Hunting Forum

Wood framed carport

Posted By: Big_Country01

Wood framed carport - 06/25/19 01:45 PM

Going to get these rafters from my neighbor, I'm thinking i'm going to build a little cover for my camper. His building was about 12X28 i think, but i didnt look at it before he took it down.

I have never been much of a woodworker. What would be the best way to frame these back up? What size posts and how many? The top of my camper is about 9ft.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Cast

Re: Wood framed carport - 06/25/19 06:23 PM

What is on top of the RV? Ten feet tall might not do it. Posts go eight feet apart. I would use 6 x 6 posts. The posts have to be installed perfectly square and plumb to end up with a square straight building. You will need to build or buy two 32’ beams to span both sides, then install 2 x 6 joists from beam to beam every 24”. Again, they gotta be square. Use Simpson Strong ties at each tie point where wood meets wood. Then the prefab rafters go on last.

Wait a minute! How many prefab rafters you got?
Posted By: Big_Country01

Re: Wood framed carport - 06/26/19 01:29 PM

So i actually went over to pick them up yesterday. They only span 7 feet eek2 Cant complain about free stuff, but that leaves the camper out. Probably build a new boat shed. only need to be about 7' tall and probably go 24' long. I think this may change the complexity a little. How far can i get away with between the rafters?

Oh and there are 22 of the prefab rafters!
Posted By: Cast

Re: Wood framed carport - 06/26/19 06:31 PM

24” spacing on rafters and joists.
Posted By: lms

Re: Wood framed carport - 07/24/19 10:41 PM

You can always make the trusses a little longer
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum